Bulbs didn't come up at all this Spring!

Blaine, MN(Zone 4b)

Do bulbs ever skip a year and pop up the next. I have quite a few that didn't come up at all this year some new some older that Ive had for several years . One patch was a six by four foot swath that none at all came up in. A lot of my older ones didn't have near the growth as in the past. Just curious as to weather I should wait or not to replant this comeing fall.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Marline, that would be very unusual. It would probably help to know what they are, but if they are early bulbs, like tulips, I think you can forget it. It sound more like a bulb eater had dinner at your expense. If they are bulbs that tend to divide, you may get something that wasn't eaten grow enough to come up the following year.

You are in a rather cool zone, but I would expect that you can tell by looking at your neighbors' gardens if there is a problem in your area.

As to whether or not to replant, I would do a little digging to see if your bulbs are there, if they are partially eaten or rotted. Also look for access holes from little critters. We used to have a red twig dogwood, but two years ago I discovered these frightened, young, little creatures hop out, not knowing what they were supposed to do. No return on the rabbit hutch, but that was the end of the red twig dogwood and the camassia. I don't remember what else, but I think you get the idea.
Marcia

Blaine, MN(Zone 4b)

oh I so hope not about 12 orientals....bummer big time not a one is up also oriotrumps really look puny and one I had for five years no sign of......boo hoo

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Unless it was really, really cold and they came up and were hit with the famous ice/sleet storm, they may be gone. If they were affected by the storm and died after sprouting, they will come up again next spring.

I had six orienpets for the last four years. This year only one came up, and I have to believe that they were eaten. They were the only bulbs in that garden, and we have been plagued with chipmunks. The remaining lily is having its bags packed as soon as the bloom is gone.

Most of our lily bulbs are in containers as you can see. In the past we lost lily blooms due to beetle damage, but they never affected the bulbs. Containers don't guarantee the bulbs won't be eaten, but they certainly improve the chances. When plants stop blooming, I switch containers so that the most visible are the most attractive. In containers there are lilies, calla lilies, caladiums, begonias, coleus and even some tomatoes and cucumbers. Inground plants are alliums, roses, peonies, different kinds of irises, clematis, centaurea, echinacea, platycodon, sedum, tomatoes, heuchera, brunnera and a few dwindling lilies and tulips. Alliums are the only bulbs that don't get attacked.

Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166
Blaine, MN(Zone 4b)

I think I might try those bulb cages next time I plant I just love plants. No didn't even come up at all no sign. Might try digging in a spot and see if that tells me anything. Thankyou for the feed back.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

It costs very little to try some in containers.

Blaine, MN(Zone 4b)

I have no way to winter the potted ones or I might do that they do look nice ,I agree.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

You can leave them in place in the winter. The northeast had a terrible storm last October/November. In anticipation, I gathered up all the containers in the yard and put them on the deck to keep them from being blown around, and there they spent the winter. Normally I just move them closer to the house in the winter as we do get snow, and the gardens are near the sidewalks and driveway. As it is even in the summer I can count on someone driving over part of the containers or plantings.

Blaine, MN(Zone 4b)

You know I didn't think they would survive like that I will try It by golly...Thankyou

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.