Hostas: Let's see your pictures of hostas beginning with "S", 4 by ViolaAnn

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ViolaAnn

In reply to: Let's see your pictures of hostas beginning with "S"

Forum: Hostas

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Let's see your pictures of hostas beginning with "S"
ViolaAnn wrote:
#1. 'Sara' - new spring 2006. My younger daughter's name. This one is larger than I bargained for when I bought it (was divided in 2011), but it's an attractive green that gets progressively more yellow or chartreuse as the season progresses.

#2. 'September Sun' - new September 2005. A large, fertile hosta. Similar to 'Paul's Glory, but different too - I have them side by side. This one is not easy to divide. I'd do it in the autumn and cut the crown apart.

#3. 'Silver Threads and Golden Needles' - new spring 2010. Officially a mini, though I've never thought of mine as such. However, it is a small mound. This was a bonus plant that turned out to be welcome because an earlier division was destroyed a couple of years ago after I discovered foliar nematodes in it.

#4. 'Sitting Pretty' - new spring 2007. This one took until 2011 to develop a second eye. Very pretty, though when I removed leaves for a show last week, away from the plant I couldn't tell the leaves apart from 'Cherry Berry' leaves. However, it seems to be tougher than CB, does not have red scapes, blooms earlier but grows more slowly.

#5. 'Snow Mouse' - new Summer 2010. Already showing signs of reverting to solid blue.