Let's see your pictures of hostas beginning with "S"

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Well, I've tried to upload a new thread several times today both with and w/o pictures. Will try again with just one picture. Looks like SUCCESS!

Pictures of hostas that begin with "S". Please add yours and tell us something about them.

#1. 'Salute' - new spring 2008. Very pretty, upright blue hosta that stays small. Also fertile. I have a seedling with a similar habit, but it's more green.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

#1. 'Sara' - new spring 2006. My younger daughter's name. This one is larger than I bargained for when I bought it (was divided in 2011), but it's an attractive green that gets progressively more yellow or chartreuse as the season progresses.

#2. 'September Sun' - new September 2005. A large, fertile hosta. Similar to 'Paul's Glory, but different too - I have them side by side. This one is not easy to divide. I'd do it in the autumn and cut the crown apart.

#3. 'Silver Threads and Golden Needles' - new spring 2010. Officially a mini, though I've never thought of mine as such. However, it is a small mound. This was a bonus plant that turned out to be welcome because an earlier division was destroyed a couple of years ago after I discovered foliar nematodes in it.

#4. 'Sitting Pretty' - new spring 2007. This one took until 2011 to develop a second eye. Very pretty, though when I removed leaves for a show last week, away from the plant I couldn't tell the leaves apart from 'Cherry Berry' leaves. However, it seems to be tougher than CB, does not have red scapes, blooms earlier but grows more slowly.

#5. 'Snow Mouse' - new Summer 2010. Already showing signs of reverting to solid blue.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

#1. 'So Sweet' - new September 2005. Lovely, fast-growing hosta with fragrant blooms.

#2. 'Sparkler' - new this spring. Will be interesting to watch.

#3. 'Spilt Milk' - new spring 2006. Not as much milk spilt as on some I've seen, but it's growing well.

#4. 'Stained Glass' - new spring 2004. A disorderly mound with fragrant blooms.

#5. 'Stand By Me' - new this spring. Also looking forward to seeing what this one can do.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

#1. 'Stealth' - new spring 2009. Was sent to me accidentally as 'Lakeside Mom' though I was warned to watch it and the proper plant was sent to me as soon as it was confirmed that an error had been made. It WAS streaked, but seems to have settled into a humdrum margined plant which is much affected by bugs. Likely not long for my garden.

#2. 'Stiletto' - new August 2009. Given to me by a friend and it has grown well.

#3. 'Summer Breeze' - new spring 2003. A lovely spot of colour in the garden. This one has grown well, but is not huge. Hard to believe that it's a sport of 'Summer Music' which follows though the colour is much like another sport, 'Last Dance'. LD, however, is smaller and the texture of the leaf is different.

#4. 'Summer Music' - new Summer 2005. A really slow grower for me.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

#1. 'Summer Snow' - new June 2010. reputed to be difficult to grow well and mine seems smaller than last year.

#2. 'Sun Power' - new September 2005. Was divided in spring 2011 and has not regained its full size yet.

#3. 'Surprised By Joy' - new spring 2005. A lovely mini, but slugs like it.

#4. 'Sweet Innocence' - new spring 2007. Supposed to be an "improved" version of 'Fragrant Bouquet'. NOT
Mine has simply not grown. I just dug it up, divided its 4 eyes into 3 divisions and replanted in my nursery bed, replacing it with 'Mango Tango' which is brand new.

This message was edited Jul 2, 2012 6:10 PM

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, Canada

I planted 'Sleeping Beauty' in 2010 She's a sport of 'Halcyon' and definitely a keeper in my garden

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

'Small Sum' was planted in this bed in 2010. I'm moving it next spring because it is reaching for more light. I bought this one because I didn't want to dedicate a lot of garden space to 'Sum and Substance'. 'Small Sum' is supposed to grow 17" high and 40" wide.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Sleeping Beauty' looks a lot like 'First Frost'. Not too surprising, I guess - same family.

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Sleeping Beauty and FF look basically the same, except in the Spring- they have different colored edges then. Also, even in full shade, SB's edges will lighten up by mid summer. My FF never quite loses that yellow tinge to the edges

1. Sea Gulf Stream- gorgeous color, deep veins

2. Spartacus- sport of Sea Gulf Stream. Growing pretty well for me- bought as one young eye in 2010

3. Spring Fling- Loving this one this year. I have it in a tall pot that gets no winter protection and it seems to do fine with that

4. Silver Moon- Third year, liking this a lot. Not too deeply cupped, and fast growth.

Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster
Ottawa, Canada

I'm really drawn to the rippled hostas. "Sea Gulf Stream' and 'Sparticus' are on my to purchase list if I develop more room. I also like the fresh bue look of 'Silver Moon'. There aren't too many blue cupped ones, are there? Noreaster have you seen 'Lakeside Cindy Cee'? It's another rippled one I like.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Love that 'Sea Gulf Stream'.

Irene- I'm jealous that you still have space.

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Irawon, yep, I've seen that one. A few years ago I was going crazy for the ripples, so I think I've got enough of those....for now!!!

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

#1. 'Sagae' - added spring 2009. Bought as a teeny tiny baby in a 4-inch pot. Now becoming a monster and bigger than all the other hostas in this bed. Fast grower with strong, upright form. Pic 7/4/2012

#2. 'Sleeping Beauty' - added spring 2011. Impulse buy at the nursery. Often called out as a lookalike for El Nino and First Frost, but so far I find it different from the other two. I guess we'll see how they compare as they mature. Very sad the bunny attacked it this year and chewed off several leaves =( Pic 7/4/2012

#3. 'Sugar and Spice' - new this spring 2012. One I've considered buying for a few years now. I like the shiny leaves. Pic 7/4/2012

#4. 'Sum and Substance' - came with the house, so pre-dates 2008. One of those oldies that looks great. This is the larger one and situated in more shade. Often gets bombarded with oak tree debris and has a few holes or broken leaves. Pic 7/4/2012

#5. 'Sum and Substance' - came with the house, so pre-dates 2008. This is the smaller one that was planted in mostly sun. A rose bush buried in the ivy behind it has suddenly become Godzilla, so this one has a little protection from the sun this year. Pic 7/4/2012

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

#1. 'Summer Breeze' - added spring 2010. It lived in a pot for about a year from fall 2010 to fall 2011 but seems to be recovering nicely. Very bright in the shade. Pic 7/4/2012

Thumbnail by Eleven

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.