Photo by Melody

Canadian Gardening: What's happening in your neck of the woods..with friends!, 1 by fancyvan

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright fancyvan

In reply to: What's happening in your neck of the woods..with friends!

Forum: Canadian Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What's happening in your neck of the woods..with friends!
fancyvan wrote:
I dont think there are any months when Calgary has not had snow. I think the discouraging thing this year is it is happening so often and so close together - a few warm days then a storm, a few more warm days and another storm etc. etc.

Plant share went off perhaps not quite as scheduled! The whole organisational system is pretty much ignored, honor system rules, plants on the ground in the lane instead of laid out on tables, just take your plants in and remember how many you had and if you didnt have any please pay the lady under the umbrella! Some plants never made it any further than the lane entrance with members hovering to see what was coming in and grabbing them right away! Light wet snow falling and certainly cold but nobody complained and almost all the plants were gone by 1030 when I left.

I did not take any plants, nor anticipate picking any ( volunteers get 2 free ones) But I did take a clump of a white Siberian Iris and then came across two little yellow flax. I do have one but they are deep tap root and hard to transplant and hard to find too. So I picked them both up, a lady beside me Oh is that Yellow Flax? - very excited ( I think she thought I was bringing them in!) so I gave her one! We also had somebody selling lily bulbs so I bought some of those .

In case you are wondering yellow flax does not look the much more common blue flax. or red flax for that matter which is an annual here. Here's a pic - it is theplant on the far left in front of the rose.