Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Herbs: Ethnobotanicals, Entheogens, Herbs of History, 1 by drdon

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright drdon

In reply to: Ethnobotanicals, Entheogens, Herbs of History

Forum: Herbs

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Ethnobotanicals, Entheogens, Herbs of History
drdon wrote:
good morning!,

Currently I'm focusing on the medicinals used by meso american and south american peoples. Probably because in these areas there are still practitioners of the traditional medicine of the Maya, Mazatec, Huichol, Yaqui, Mayo, and Aztec traditions. I've collected a few Chinese traditional medicinal plants and the traditional medicine of the caucasian tribes will certainly require some graduate level study, in that it is so often intertwined with what was ignorantly regarded as witchcraft, when it should have been regarded simply as apothecary.

The burning of witches here in this country and in puritanical England is a low point in the history of caucasian medicine. The traditions that were lost because of the religious stupidity of the time. It is wonderful that you are working to reclaim some of those medicines in that they were most certainly the reasons there weren't and historical references to plagues or pandemics in the time when those traditional medicines were used without the interference from some grand inquisitor looking for blasphemy in a bowel movement...lol.

Please let me know how your mandrake proceed, and I'll take your advice of nicotiana, Currently I'm growing several sacred Brugmansias and only a few nicotiana that have recorded use.

best to you,
don

pic of the Mayan city of Edzna in Campeche, Mexico