Garden Pests and Diseases: Blueberry bushes, deer and rabbits, 2 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: Blueberry bushes, deer and rabbits

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Blueberry bushes, deer and rabbits
DonnaMack wrote:
I had terrible problems with voles and rabbits. I solved it by planting daffodils around my plants. Tulips that had been chewed year after year (one year, 60 tulips) were untouched. I always use a very small daffodil, since no one wants to deal with large, strapping foliage. I use WP Milner, because it is a teeny tiny division 1 daffodil that is widely available and very cheap. Here are pictures of some tulips that were routinely chomped to the ground before this defense, which I have used for at least 15 years. They are quite tiny. I also use them around roses.

The reason they work is that rabbits and voles can smell them, even when they are not in bloom. So amongst other things they are permanent protection. I understand that deer don\'t like them either, but I don\'t have deer so I have no first-hand experience.

I know the frustration (and expense!) of looking forward to growth that you don\'t get, but if it works it\'s s cheap solution.

If you google W.P. Milner you will find that there are many sources. It is a good choice because it is not in the official miniature daff division, where bulbs are very expensive.

I usually put them in trios around susceptible plants. I have read that deer