Blueberry bushes, deer and rabbits

Wyoming, MI

I discovered yesterday that the deer and rabbits have eaten my blueberry bushes down to tiny little nubs for the second winter in a row. I planted a row of 2-4 year old blueberry bushes in my back yard in the fall of 2019. I lost about half of them after the first year's predation. I will find out in a couple months whether or not any of the remaining sticks I have back there sprout leaves and grow this year, but a crop is out of the question because the plants have too much recovery to do. I am hoping that some of you might have better ideas on how to prevent the predation. What didn't work: I installed a trellis around everything that I netted over. Apparently sturdy netting is no barrier to winter-hungry rabbits because the holes in it are impressively sized, and there is plenty of rabbit poop to attest to how busy they have been. This is only a problem in the depth of winter. We are dealing with city critters, too, so they are totally unfazed by repellants like cayenne, predator urine, stinky soaps, etc. I can't use a motion-activated hose sprayer in the dead of winter. I tried the ultrasonic repellents in the fall of 2019 and they were useless too. I'm down to needing some type of physical barrier that goes up in the fall and comes down in the spring. What would you do?

Thumbnail by LilyD5bSWMI Thumbnail by LilyD5bSWMI
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I had terrible problems with voles and rabbits. I solved it by planting daffodils around my plants. Tulips that had been chewed year after year (one year, 60 tulips) were untouched. I always use a very small daffodil, since no one wants to deal with large, strapping foliage. I use WP Milner, because it is a teeny tiny division 1 daffodil that is widely available and very cheap. Here are pictures of some tulips that were routinely chomped to the ground before this defense, which I have used for at least 15 years. They are quite tiny. I also use them around roses.

The reason they work is that rabbits and voles can smell them, even when they are not in bloom. So amongst other things they are permanent protection. I understand that deer don't like them either, but I don't have deer so I have no first-hand experience.

I know the frustration (and expense!) of looking forward to growth that you don't get, but if it works it's s cheap solution.

If you google W.P. Milner you will find that there are many sources. It is a good choice because it is not in the official miniature daff division, where bulbs are very expensive.

I usually put them in trios around susceptible plants. I have read that deer

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.