Photo by Melody

Propagation: Need some help propagating Elderberries in Pa., 2 by CraftyFox

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright CraftyFox

In reply to: Need some help propagating Elderberries in Pa.

Forum: Propagation

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Need some help propagating Elderberries in Pa.
CraftyFox wrote:
First of all, my experience is mostly with S. nigra \'Canadensis\'. I like to take 1\'+ cuttings of Sambucus in early Spring, either dropping them in water until roots form, or just sticking them directly in the ground(usually 4-8\") where they are to be. The amount of moisture in the area will have a significant effect on their establishment.. Nice moist areas requiring very little to no attention, and high-dry areas needing regularly watering the until established, or they will stunt. Next year I hope to do cuttings of these all thru the year and see when they will and won\'t take in the ground.. I think they might just take anytime the soil moisture is good. My favorite thing to do with these is stick them in the bank of streams and other bodies of water, in parks where they don\'t exist anymore. My understanding is the culture of these is all pretty similar between the species.
I did three patches of clones in my yard and you can see the difference location had on them. The dry one is about 3\' high with very little spread, and the other 2 patches are 6\' high with ample spread.
You can probably do them in a similar way in fall.. I just haven\'t because I\'m usually busy with other plants. I\'d love to see some pictures of these ones you are intending to work with.
Here\'s a couple pictures one of my 3rd year patches. You can find more details about this specimen in my journal. I knew this bush for years before development tried to wipe it out.. I was so happy I could give her a few new homes.
In any event, these are one of the easier plants to propagate from cuttings. Feel free to hit me up if you have any other questions.