Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: Bromeliads - Autumn 2015

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads - Autumn 2015
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Another wonderful day spent in the garden after coming back from the beach and a drive into town to buy a couple of garden statues to put in the garden that are currently being made, I will take pics once we have them set-up around our pool and garden; something different and I like different and something that caught my eye that was out back at the side of the shop and when Joe saw the statue he liked it just as much as I did but it was not finished yet so we may have to wait a week or so.

I finally finished the garden bed I was working on yesterday, took me far longer than I had expected but I wanted to do a thorough job with then while I get the chance. Tomorrow will be spent potting up all the pups I took off (about 30 +) and finding nice new positions for them.

It was overcast all day today which was lovely and had rained overnight and then again at about 5 today it poured for about 30 minutes and by the looks of the clouds around will hopefully rain some more tonight. Too much cloud around to see the Lunar Eclipse but rain is so more important at the moment as our town’s dam is low and they are talking about possibly having to pump water across and possible water restrictions.

Hi Jean, hope you are having a lovely Easter and sure you are in the garden playing with your beautiful broms and roses or starting a new painting of some sort with that creative mind of yours.

Hi Brian does your wife like broms as much as you do? I have a bit of a giggle with Joe because I moved out of the nursery where I started growing orchids and the odd brom but then decided broms took my fancy more and now they have taken over our yard and my life but I truly do like growing and caring for them and get great joy out of seeing them growing and pupping well but there is only so many one can keep so I keep the best of the pups and sell or give away extras that I have. I have put aside a good hundred for the next market I hold, not too sure when that will be but would like to see them colour up a bit more before I do decide to take them to the market.

Hi Nev, what a surprise your Neo. ‘Gun Powder’ producing a NOVAR pup, would luv to see a pic when you can.

Pleased to hear you liked my long post from yesterday, it’s great when I can to properly plan catch-up with everyone as normally I am pretty time poor as you know. This long weekend is really doing us both the world of good and I am loving waking up early and going to bed late and not been exhausted the next day because I am relaxed and sleeping well at night and getting all that fresh air is wonderful.

I often see mums with kids in the back seats of their car not wearing seat belts and jumping around like wild critters and just shake my head in horror; some people should not be allowed to bring kids into the world and it makes me sick to the stomach how oblivious they are to what’s going on around them, sure drugs and alcohol play a big part in their stupidity.

Yes Joe did get some funny looks in the supermarket carrying all those Boggie Boards and I got a good chuckle out of it as well.

I could very easily live life happily in the hills surrounded by animals with not a human in sight and have fond memories of all the wildlife I used to look after back in my younger days; but the biggest joy in our lives are the Girls and the unconditional luv they give us, they are great stress relievers and we treat them with the utmost respect that they deserve and it does not matter what day of the week it is we always make time for them and do something they like doing no matter how tired we are.

Wow those clumps of broms you described sound huge but must look fantastic when they are in full flower; sure you will find people interested to take some off your hands and help free up some valuable room around your garden. I do luv the look of ‘Sheba’ grown in clumps and sure it would look fantastic grown around the base of a golden cane palm or something similar and would give it the perfect opportunity to climb and impress.

Thanks ever so much for the feedback on shade cloth for Joe’s orchids, Joe’s idea was to run a shade cloth curtain across as needed but was still undecided. I will get him to check out the website links you provided and he can decide from there; thanks once again from the both of us. Thanks also for the wet/dry vac details, possibly something worthwhile for me to purchase as brom cleaning can take me ages doing it with a paint brush like I am currently doing.

Thanks would appreciate when you can to see notes on how to mount broms on trees to check if there is an easier way of doing as the more stable they are the better no matter whether they are in a pot or tied to something they need good stability to thrive well.

The big plant you asked about in Pic 2 from yesterday is Neo. ‘Royal Burgundy’. And yes that plant in Pic 4 (top left) is Hohenbergia that I have had for years that to date has not pupped but has always looked fantastic all this time.

Another nice lot of Thailand pictures so full of wonderful colour.

Oh I forgot to ask, hope you had a great Brom Society Meeting today and look forward to hearing how it all went.

Time to head off as it’s 12.20pm and we might look at going to the market in the morning so need to be up reasonably early.

Take Care & Happy Gardening!

Trish

Pics of cleaned up garden bed, must have saved them wrong as attached sideways, taken with my phone so may have been how I was holding the phone???

Just took a nice pup off Neo. 'Lorena' in Pic 4 as well as in Pic & 3.
Pic 5 is Neo. 'Prinsler', pretty one and a great pupper.