Questions on baby Peonies

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I have an established Peony, and have found many babies sprouting up around the adults. I dug some, potted them in peat moss, & they are doing excellant. They are just 2 inches tall. They were from roots attached to the adult plants. Do these babies steal strength from the adult plants? How long (years?) will it take for them to mature & flower? I left a couple there... should I remove all of the babies? I am happy that I am getting more Peonies, as this is my favorite flower. Is this the start of many Peonies to come?

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I dont know if they take energy away from the parent plant, I would think not.I can tell you, I got some last fall from my Grandmas homestead, and quite a few have buds this year already. They are about 1 foot high, and just as wide. The other smaller ones that are struggling maybe 4x2inches, dont. I also dont know about removing all the babies. I CAN tell you, I took 3/4 of my grandmas peony, and this year it doesnt even look like I took any.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Thank you for the info - I love the Peonies, & this is the first year I have seen the babies. They are thriving in the pot, so I think they will go in the garden this season. The more the merrrier! Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.