Lithops Seedlings....guide me through this :)

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi, i have recently planted some Lithops seeds, and now the seedlings are about a month old now. I am wondering how old they should be before i start to hold back a little bit on the water, also any other tips would be appreciated!

By the way this is a batch of mixed lithops

Thumbnail by dalmatian_fan87
Exeter, United Kingdom

Well these plants originate from southern Africa so they dont need alot of water at all. These plants go through stages and from what ive been told/have learnt - in the summer months they become dormant so they need very little watering, and if they are watered too much in the summer then the rots will rot and turn to mush. In the fall about August time the seeds will start growing so they will need watering a little more. Let the soil completely dry out around september/october time and dont water in winter. Then springs comes and this is when your plants need watering the most but this is a gradual thing. Start watering with a little water then add a little more then a little more etc working up to a gradual drenching, always let the soil dry up before the next watering. Reduce watering when the longer hotter days arrive.
I would also just mention SPIDER MITES your plants are suseptable to these horrible pests and as they are so small they can go un-noticed but if you see your leaves going whitish then you know you have them and that will need to be sorted out asap
Hope i helped :)

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

thanks, that helped a bunch! I'll post more pictures of these guys as they get bigger and change....then it will be I.D. time, LOL that will be tough since lithops arent very clear about which species they are when they just get that very first pair of true leaves.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Oh I love lithops. How did you manage from seed? Were they easy? I don't have any but I'd quite like to grow some from seed (if our garden centres have them).

I kow your plants are way too young but I found this link http://www.interq.or.jp/earth/plants/lithops-001.html which seemed to show different varieties.

Hobart, Australia

Gooday dalmatian_fan87. I grew Lithops from my own collected seed - You get about 200 seed from a mature seedpod from one good Lithops flower. They came up like grass BUT died off one by one slowly. Can you get some small plastic pots (2" square ?) to pot them up separately and stop cross infection between them. Sterilize (at c. 200 degrees F for half an hour) some very gritty soil, transplant the seedlings and just wait for 6 or so months.
Keep them in a well-lit place but not in full sun. I got abouit 10% up to a reasonable size in 12 months but I hope you will be more successful. Identifying the specied when they come up is totally another story since bought seed probably is hybrid. What does it matter! they are still really COOL plants. Cheers and good luck Cerahipp (Col.)

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

yes i agree with you there Cerahipp, they are one of the most interesting plants ive ever seen. So far i have not lost a single seedling the whole month that they have started growing. They get sun but they are also shaded a little by the window blinds....and on cloudy days i have a desk lamp with a flourescent bulb turned on over top of them. So far they seem to be loving it! :)

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok, now these guys are TWO months old, so here is another picture of them...

Exeter, United Kingdom

Wow, looks like they are doing really well, they look mega healthy, you have obviously got green thumbs :)
Look forward to seeing them as they grow up, if you post more photos :)

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

oh i will definately keep this thread updated with a new pic of these guys every month, so you can comare pictures and see how they are changing

Hobart, Australia

Dalmatian_fan87. I'm real envious of your lovely pot of Lithops seedlings. Hope you get them to flowering (3 years or so!) and collect your own seed. I have no chance here at present - temp. has been below 2 degrees outside at night for just over 2 weeks and we have had buckets of rain for nearly a month. Even bad for Tasmania and no good for Lithops growing!!

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Cerahipp. Well i have read where these guys can be grown as house plants too, as long as they get the light requirements they need. Thats my plan for this batch is to grow them as house plants, so they have been inside the whole time :)

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

ok guys, here is month THREE of the lithops adventure! They are really getting plump and happy if you ask me!

Aw they are still so tiny. I do like the fact you keep posting pictures so we can see their progress, they've fattened up since your first photo of them.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

thanks! Id say that the biggest one is about like this ---> O

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

ive noticed that a FEW of those things are changing shape....they went from being shaped like an upside down cone, to being kind of chunky at the bottom, changing them to a cylinder shape instead of the cone shape.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok, heres month 4. They have apparently stopped getting any bigger. Does this mean they are working on their TRUE leaves now, and does that also mean i should slow down on water?

Hobart, Australia

You still have a healthy lot of lovely Lithops.
I just have a couple of comments (from experience many years ago). They will survive drying so you could decrease the water slightly.
The other comment, I would be concerned that they were crowned together so that IF a little damping off infection got in, it could spread. I think that, even at this tender age transplanting could be tried with a few, Use a small tool like an old butter knife (sterilised of course) and try moving the most crowded into small pots of identical soil mixture. This is my best considered advice AND I have got my fingers crossed.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

I have a pair of tweezers that i could grab onto the larger ones to take them out and repot That way the smaller ones have some more room. Ill take care of that later tonight then post more pics of them

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

i found out that i had enough room in the original pot that i could just spread the seedlings out a little bit instead of having to put them in new pots.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

I have my eyes on that biggest one (center left), that one looks most promising, well...they ALL do, but im really watching that large one :)

Hobart, Australia

That looks a really good distribution of plants now dalmation_fan87. That way you might lose one ot two that's life (or natural selection!) But you are much less likely to get damping-off. Just keep a natural warm, dryish air-flow over them.
I will join you growing Lithops with some seeds (from my own plants) in a couple of months hopefully. Very busy at present shrinking my garden to one third its past size so I can afford the land since the suburbs have swamped us and hiked up the land prices!

They are still sooooo cute :)

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok, here is Lithops Seedlings Month 5....not much apparently going on from the outside, but some are getting a bit chunky at the base

Exeter, United Kingdom

aww, they are still soooo cute :)

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

I went to check on my seedlings today...i noticed something about one of them. Its split that divides the two leaves has opened! Is there anything special i need to do with this one, or should i just leave it be?

I love seeing the updated photos.

I can't help with what to do unfortunately; don't they flower from the middle? I know it's way too early for a flower, but I was just wondering...

(Zone 7a)

I think there are lots of us following this. I had some a couple of times and killed them all.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

oh they surely do flower dipsey, but i got something like a 3 year wait before i would see that. But both the flower, AND the new leaves will come up through the fissure. I look down in the open ones and so far they all just look green. Could be for two reasons....i either have some green cultivars in the seed mix, or the new leaves havent been exposed to the sun long enough to build their color

Poole, KY

Thanks for sharing your experience with the lithops. I love them and purchased a few to try. They aren't seeds but if you continue your luck with them I may try raising them from seeds. I am raising a few unknown varieties of cactus from seed and so far so good. Please continue to keep us posted.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

oh i most certainly will! :)

(Bre) Sellersville, PA(Zone 7a)

Hello. I've been following your thread b/c I have some Lithop seeds that I have been wanting to start. Can you tell me how you started them? What kind of soil mix did you use? Sand & soil? Did you use grow lights or a heat mat? Do you remember how long they took to come up?
Thanks so much for your help!
bre

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi barhea! I planted my lithops in a mix of course sand and potting soil....then i put a thin layer of fine sand on top so that the seeds wouldnt get lost down in the cracks of the soil. When i first sewed them, i put a piece of syran wrap over the pot to keep the humidity up just until they have all sprouted, then i took it off, and i water them with a misting bottle while they are small so i wont scatter them all over the place. I let the sun shine on them through open blinds during the day, then i turn on a florecent grow light over top of them during the night until im ready for bed. It takes about 7 days for all of them to come up...maybe 14 days for the slow stragglers.

(Bre) Sellersville, PA(Zone 7a)

Great! Thanks so much for all of your help ~ I look forward to reading/seeing yours ^_^

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

I know it hasnt been a full month since my last picture of these guys but i HAVE to show you them again, LOL!

They are now starting their trip to adulthood, ive circled the ones that are working on their true leaves now.

Are those the ones that looked like they had a split in them?

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

the ones i circled, were the ones i said the fissure that is on the top of the plants opened up.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

I was wondering if it was safe to transplant those lithops who are making true leaves into another pot, or would moving them mess them up? There are still plenty of other lithops that have not begun the change yet, so i still want to water them some.....but i worry if i will ever rot the ones that ARE changing. Any ideas?

Medford, NJ

how cute. I am fascinated by these plants, but have killed every one I have ever bought.... =(

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

month 6.....

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

im also experimenting a bit....with those first lithops that are forming true leaves....i have isolated them into another pot so i wont rot them while im watering the ones that are still not yet changing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.