It's Hot...It's Humid...Must be June! Part 2

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/996360/

Everyone is welcome to join in the chat!

Pepper – Sounds like you are getting our type of weather. Stay safe in those storms.
Bernie – Congrats on the rain!
Celia- LOL! It was labeled Blue Days, but I’m getting conflicting info on it, so I’m not sure LOL! I’ll keep calling it that until I get a formal ID. Besides Callie loves Blue Days! Lovely Columbine seed pod.
Ric – Looks like you guys had a great time at the RU! Get those maters in the ground LOL! That’s some gorgeous work she does. What an amazing woman!

73.2 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 70 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 71 °F
Visibility: 6.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 300 ft
Scattered Clouds 7500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 11000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Mostly cloudy early this morning then partly cloudy. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms late in the morning...then a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 85. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

Another moss rose

Thumbnail by MySharona
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Good morning, cloudy and cool here. Unfortunately for Stan's haying, it looks like a very iffy week. We had sprinkles off and on yesterday, and much the same is forecast for today. We are supposed to reach the mid-70s today, yesterday we topped out at just over 70. The warmer weather and bit of moisture will get things growing.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Sharon, thanks for the new thread! That's a beautiful moss rose.
Ric, thanks for the explanatios, now I know I have a colocasia....I'm a bit slow, but I finally figured out the difference!LOL
The RU really seems like a family reunion, thanks for sharing! Always nice to see Robyn!
Rann, how are the girls? Did they enjoy the play as much as the movie?
Marylyn, I loved the pics from your cabin, it's such a beautiful place! Too bad you couldn't go this year!
Kelli, lovely shots, like always!
Sally, your garden looks great!
Mau, going to Canada, wow! Have a safe trip! Great you can keep in touch while you are there!
It's been raining today after a HOT day yesterday, 95 for sure! Now the rain has stopped and the sun is shinning. At least is only 90 today.
I have eaten the first strawberries from my garden, they were huge, but only 2!LOL
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Sharon, I forgot to tell you we are having a staycation...very funny !LOL

(Zone 7a)

Kathleen, good luck with the haying. We have iffy weather, too. I think most places around this world of ours is, as well.

Strawberries!!! I can taste them now...mmm...

Sharon, I had moss rose at one time. I loved them. Now, I have to get them again.

Ric, all it takes is a little dedication and a small piece of the world is transformed. If only everyone thought that way.

64.0 °F with 72º for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 51%
Dew Point: 46 °F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the SSE
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 29.86 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 7000 ft
Scattered Clouds 11000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

I had my appt. this morning and opted for a steroid shot in my lower back. It went well and I drove myself home. It feels pretty good right now. I have a follow-up appt. in 2 weeks.

My Voodoo Lily opened! There are four flowers and the smallest one is first.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Here's the largest one. It is slightly over 2 ft. tall and will be open in a day or so.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Wow, Celia, those are so cool! What was the appt for ? Great it went well! How are you feeling?
It's raining again with thunders and lightnings, but only a shower for now...but the dark cloud seems to bring more!
Sunset yesterday.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

Adina, I have bulging discs in my back. The longer I sit here at the computer, the more it's starting to twinge. I think I'll pop in a movie and forget doing anything today.

I love those flowers. They stink like bad meat but so worth it (to me) to have them and that only lasts a day or so for each bloom. Fortunately, they're far enough away from the house not to matter.

Black Mondo Grass and Irish Moss. I like how this combo turned out.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 5a)

Mostly cloudy today, a few rays of sun this morning. Light breeze and 55°F, very pleasant. Pretty much the same yesterday, except it rained yesterday evening.

Sharon - your moss roses are such wonderful colors! So neat that the come back different colors :-)

Adina - thanks for asking. We had a GREAT time at the theater despite the amazingly good weather we were missing! lol The girls absolutely loved it ...... Hildur Eva enjoyed the play more than the movie because the play was in Icelandic so she understood every word! lol And the lyrics as well ...... It was almost 3 hours and on the way out Hildur Eva asked if we could go again! lol That must mean she liked it a lot. :-) Those strawberries look so yummy! It'll be a month before I'll see any, mine are just starting to flower .... Pretty sunset.

Ric - beautiful flower beds ....... hearing about a 75 year "young" woman accomplishing so much is inspiring :-)

Kathleen - hope the weather holds for the hay! Again we're a month behind here .... I don't think farmer's start making hay until the end of June at the earliest ..... not that I'm an expert in the field ;-) lol

Celia - the voodoo lily is very cool - but I'm glad I don't have to smell it! lol Very pretty combo indeed.

This just started to flower for the first time - raised from seed last year :-) I'm so excited about it! lol Gentiana bavarica is the name.

Have a good day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good afternoon! Is that Bertie's roadside garden, Ric? It's beautiful!

Ohh... that blue is stunning, Rann! I'm so glad the girls had such a good time at the play. ^_^

Adina, my mouth is watering! Those strawberries look very yummy!!

I finally got the soaker hoses laid out and the vincas planted this morning. By the time I was done, I was very glad to come inside and take a shower - it is hot out there! (My fault... I didn't set an alarm, and we all slept in. I didn't get out there until almost 11, so it was after noon when I was done. I'm sure it was considerably cooler at 8:00 when I SHOULD have been doing the work!) I ran both hoses for some time, but I'll do it again tomorrow since most of the water probably evaporated away before getting to the roots, and then start watering every day, rotating through all of the beds. We are supposed to be hot and dry all week, with no real chances of rain in the near future anyway. It's starting to feel like arid San Antonio here instead of subtropical Houston! I still need to get some more soaker hoses for the beds in the back, but at least the front is done now. I like to keep it looking halfway decent out there, since all of the neighbors can see it. The back always gets left to last. :-)

Charles will be home tonight. Yayyy!! The bunnies and I are going to clean the house and make lots of "Welcome Home, Daddy!" signs. ^_^

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 12:53pm CDT (50 min ago)
Temperature 88 °F 31 °C My outside thermometer says 93°, and I think it's probably right!
Dew Point 64 °F 18 °C
Humidity 46%
Pressure 29.93 in 1013.7 mb
Wind Speed 12 MPH
G 18 10 kts
G 16
Wind Dir S 170°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 91 °F 33 °C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 72.0°F / 22.2°C
6 hour max temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 90.0°F / 32.2°C

Today Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 90s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 70s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Kathleen, thank you for the link, my tree is definately a Tiger eye sumac ! I knew you guys were the best!
I have Gaillardia too!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kathleen – I hope you guys can get some haying done this week.
Adina – 95* you are hotter than we are! Those strawberries look yummy! I’d have eaten them too LOL! Staycation’s are “in” because no one can afford to do anything! I received an invitation to my 30th (whimper) HS reunion in England. “Can you make it?” No I can’t make it LOL! That costs money!
Celia- I am hooked on the moss roses LOL! Glad your back is better. I can’t imagine getting a shot in my back. Beautiful voodoo lily! I remember last year you said they smell pretty bad LOL!
Adina – Beautiful sky pic!
Celia – I like how that combo turned out too
Rann – I’m glad you and the girls had such a great time seeing the play! It just came through Jacksonville too. WOW! That is a gorgeous blue bloom!
Marylyn – I feel your pain about the heat. I have to work in the yard early or late. I know you and the girls are glad Charles is coming home tonight. Special dinner planned?
Adina – Pretty gaillardia! Mine are finished blooming for the season (I guess).

I saw a hummer today so I made some more nectar for them. Maybe I’ll start seeing them again. I’ve been hearing thunder for about an hour, but no rain yet.

I’m having issues with this lawn. The ground is so soft and uneven. The outside chairs and table, the plant stands, everything sinks about an inch. It’s very frustrating. I stand on the ladder and it sinks about 3”. What’s the use of having a ladder I ask LOL! I was so frustrated yesterday that I started fussing about it and a neighbor heard me. I was a little embarrased because I was alone at the time.

77.7 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 66 °F
Wind: 0.0 mphfrom the SW
Pressure: 29.95 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 80 °F
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3500 ft
Scattered Clouds 13000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Now
Through 630 PM...scattered showers and a few thunderstorms will continue with the heaviest activity moving into Fernandina Beach...Yulee... Crescent Beach...Palatka and Alachua. The showers will move southeast at 15 miles an hour. Heavy rainfall should be expected with the thunderstorms.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Low 67. South winds 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest 5 mph after midnight.

Zinnia

Thumbnail by MySharona
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I tried growing gaillardia and they didn't survive. I don't know if it was too dry or not enough sun, or what. The same with echinacea.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on June 08, 2009
69 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 57%
Dew Point: 53 °F
Wind: 8 mph from the South
Pressure: 29.87 in (Falling)
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3400 ft
(Above Ground Level)

more pictures from Saturday

Thumbnail by Kelli

poison oak turning red - It is "fall" (end of the growing season) for a lot of the wild plants.

Thumbnail by Kelli

pitcher sage

Thumbnail by Kelli

yellow mariposa lily

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 7a)

"Fussing" about it? Or "cussing" about it? LOL

My god-grand-daughter Kassidy's B-Day is Saturday and Grandma CJ has been invited to her BBQ!!! Darrell and I will be going. Hopefully, it won't rain on her party.

I love the Gaillardias. So pretty. I have one out there that is more yellow. Lemons and ...? Maybe. I think Mau has one. Mine is just one bloom, though, so far.

Marylyn, I forgot to say YIPPEE on your man coming home!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

67*F ~ mostly sunny.
We had a great time down in Seward. It's about 180 miles SE of here and being on Resurrection Bay, is a beautiful change from the valley here in Palmer. The bay is surrounded with mountains on 3 sides; they begin at sea-level and go straight up; some have hanging glaciers to add to the beauty of the area. Met another DG'er while there and it was very nice.
Way too far behind today for comments; but did read and follow the new thread here, thanks, Sharon. The moss rose is beautiful.
RV park/Seward, Alaska

Thumbnail by kiska
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Well we have some hail damage to our vehicles. My mom has a ton of dents just on the hood alone and one dent broke the paint. I also have a ton of dents on mine and will get it fixed hopefully in a few weeks. We have some damage to the roof vents for sure though not sure how bad total roof damage is yet. Some people who live in my area have to have the whole roof replaced and windows replaced because we got some golf ball sized hail at one point. Luckily my plants at work had very little damage. My coworker and I were really relieved. lol

Mostly cloudy and cool today. Hopefully I can get pics downloaded tomorrow of my hail storm.

That's awful!!

Kelli – I always enjoy your hiking pics! The mariposa lily is still one of my favs from your area.
Celia – Both LOL! Have fun at the party! I can tell you are excited to see her!
Kiska – Welcome back! Sounds like you had a good time. Love all those mountains.
Pepper – I 2nd Kelli. That is awful. Luckily no one was hurt.

72.1 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 67 °F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 29.92 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 72 °F
Visibility: 7.0 miles
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Patchy early morning fog...otherwise partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 88. North winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the east in the afternoon.

The Peruvian Daffs are blooming now. Well, it seems only one plant is blooming. I don't think the others made it. Note to buy more next year.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Cloudy this morning, with slight rain drizzles. Some rain overnight. Light breeze and temp around 45°F. Today's high will probably be around 50°F. Yes, this is normal for early June .... lol

Marylyn - thanks! I'm sure it was a happy reunion yesterday when your DH got home :-)

Kiska - what a fantastic view! :-) Glad you had a good trip and good to have you back!

Sharon - thanks :-) Beautiful zinnia and peruvian daff - very cool! I had to laugh about your neighbor overhearing you ...... is the problem that the "soil" is just sand? I'd be annoyed too.

Kelli - great hiking photos - I always enjoy your hikes immensly.

Pepper - so sorry about the hail damage. How awful. It's hard for me to imagine hail the size of golfballs ....... or marbles for that matter, like Ric's hail earlier.

I haven't had time to harvest the rhubard this spring .... it's flowering now ....... sigh. I have enough rhubarb jam from last year so I don't really need any more but I still feel like I need to use it so it won't go to waist.... The flower stalk is bigger than Hildur Eva! She thought that was pretty cool .... I've never let it flower before so it was quite a novelty to her. lol

Hope you all have a good day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 3b)

49*F Mostly cloudy with clouds descending down to about 1/3 of Pioneer Peak at this point. The past few days have wonderful; 74* a couple of days ago; the highest temp to date, and was waay too hot for many of us.
Pepper~so sorry about all the hail damage, just can't imagine that; the noise must be overwhelming.
kelli~so nice to see where your hiking takes us all. Always pretty and, informative, too.
MySharona~That's the first Peruivian daffodil I've seen; reminds me of a gangly teenager:))
rann~Hildur Eva looks so pretty there with rhubarb. I'll be harvesting much the same rhubarb today.
Family/friends a few days ago; Seward, Alaska.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 7a)

Great pics, Kiska. What's that in the background of your last shot? The metal structure?

Don't have time for many comments, my alcoholic brother is coming by today. He stops by on his way home from his AA meetings about twice a week. It helps him and it helps ME keep my house clean. LOL

59.6 °F with 68º for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 67%
Dew Point: 49 °F
Wind: 4.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 11.0 mph
Pressure: 29.87 in (Rising)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 7500 ft
Scattered Clouds 9000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 12000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Baby robin waiting for parents to rescue him from the big, bad lady with the camera.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

82° and pop up T-Storms are popping.

Just got done pruning a 30' rose back.
In getting gauze and ..... lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Ric - rose bites! Oh do I know that story.

It's lovely here today after a cloudy morning the sky cleared, the humidity lifted and the breeze blew. A lot of guys were mowing, but most are still putting hay in the silos. Stan's going to wait for more than a day and a half of dry weather at a time before he mows baling hay. He's been catching up on things that need caught up.

Sharon, mariposa lilies are among my favorites, too.

It's incredible how many days in a row have been cloudy and cool (not hot). It's 70F in the house now, which for me is really chilly, but I refuse to turn on the furnace.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on June 09, 2009
62 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 53 °F
Wind: 8 mph from the South
Pressure: 29.95 in (Steady)
Visibility: 9.0 miles
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Overcast 2000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

still more goodies from Saturday - wild rose

Thumbnail by Kelli

gum plant

Thumbnail by Kelli

yucca

Thumbnail by Kelli

It took years, but I finally learned to find beauty in the dead grass.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I'm partial to Yucca.
We're growing 6 of them here at the house.
LOVE the flowers.

77° and 62% Humidity nice 8-10 MPH Breeze is keeping most of the Skeeters at bay.

Kelli I'm now 100% sure that cactus I sent you is Opuntia humifusa.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 3b)

kelli~ the dead grass gives the "Golden State" of California a beautiful nickname.
ric~sounds as if you have battle scars after today's rose trimmings.
kwanjin~it's a conveyer belt used to load coal from the train, onto the ships. The baby robin is sure cute.
kathleen~busy time there; how much land do you harvest?
6pm and 64*.
Sunny and bright for unending hours of daylight.
24 hours daylight - goes on on on~~~love it.

(Zone 3b)

ric~that yellow is as pretty a shade of yellow as I've ever seen.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yeah the rose is about 30% smaller.
I cut off or rehung almost all of the wind blown canes.
It looks bare when you look out the window now.
But that will regrow.... and I'll regrow skin..... and about a quart of blood....lol!
Actually it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
I had cut 4 large 20' canes on Friday and took them to the RU.

Here's the new nesting spot in the former dog run.

The area near left and a wooden walkway will be addressed tomorrow.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

In a few days kiska I'll have a clutch of them to show you.
That's shot in full sun and usually that bleeds yellows out.
I agree a perfect yellow.

Here's the backside

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

And another angle showing the North wall

Thumbnail by henryr10
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Ok, it's still raining here. Still some storms in the area. Tomorrow, same thing. My dad checke the roof today and there was no damage so we got lucky there. We think the trees lessened the impact of the hail.

We had some heavy downpours today and at one point strong straight line winds. Had to take all the plants off the rails at work and put them on the ground. We were freezing by the time we got done cause it was COLD!!! On the way home from meeting my brother tonight we looked north and saw a lowering of the clouds. But it wasn't rotating and it went back up. We drove around and looked at fields which are saturated and full of standing water and once again crops are ruined this year. Getting a little late in the season to plant crops and still expect a decent harvest.

Rann – The lawn at the other house wasn’t like this. It was more solid. This lawn is all soft sand in the back yard. The front is ok. Look how tall Hildur Eva is now! I’ve never seen rhubarb bloom, very pretty.
Kiska – That is a beautiful picture!
Celia- Did you have a good time with your brother? Cute pic of the young robin.
Ric – Gorgeous picture! LOL at the roses!
Kathleen – Your temps are perfect for me!
Kelli – That is cool for you. Enjoy it while you can! Love that wild rose
Ric – I agree – that is a beautiful shade of yellow! The old dog run looks great. What kind of epi is that?
Pepper – How much rain have y’all had? I’m glad there was not damage to the roof and that there wasn’t a tornado.

74.8 °F
Clear
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 66 °F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 29.92 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 76 °F
Visibility: 8.0 miles
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. High 92. Northwest winds 5 mph shifting to the east in the afternoon.

Painted Lady Hibiscus bud.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Partly cloudy, light breeze and temp. around 50°F.

Selma's last day of school was yesterday :-) We went this morning to get the grades and now she's officially on summer vacation (which means I'm also officially on summer vacation!) :-) And the alarm will get a vacation as well - we're sleeping in tomorrow! lol :-) Finally!

Ric- wonderful yellow bloom on that cactus :-) And your former dog run area is looking good! LOL at the rose battle - now that's something I can identify with!

Kelli- I like the golden color of that dead grass too :-) Beautiful landscape!

Celia - very cute Robin :-)

Kiska - looks like you had a great time!

Well the sun is out - so I better get out there and enjoy it!

Have a good day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

T-Storms have been rumbling thru here since about 7:30 AM. So 2 hours now.
No winds just rain and rumble.
We need the rain for the containers.... the ground not so much....lol!

Pepper I'm sorry I missed your Hail Saga :-(.
We had damage like that years back.
In fact we were driving home from work when it hit.
It was like traveling thru a driving range at a golf course.
I though the windshield was going to implode.
Glad you all are OK.

Celia Cool Voodoos!
Stinky Cool!
Love the Irish Moss/Black Mondo combo.
We have both .......I will be stealing that idea lol!

Rann that's a lovely little Gentiana bavarica.
The Alpines don't do well here....
we have a few of the hardier ones that can take the Summer heat though.

Gotta get some strawberries going..... I just keep forgetting.
Adina RU's ARE like Family Reunions....where you get to pick your Family ;-)
We're lucky most everyone gets along GREAT here.
What variety is that Gaillardia?

Marylyn that's the opening view of the Garden Tour.
Bertie has a very formal entrance...brick column walls.
I'll DMail you some more from her place.

Our new little buddy.
FROG ALERT!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.