No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

OK, now we can talk about cars all we want.

SW, I love woodies. My dad hated it when one of my surfer pals would come pick me up in a woody. He was so suspicious of all that room in the back. And of course, they would throw a mattress in the back for surfing trips. LOL

Why don't you post that picture again so we can have it for reference on this thread?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I'll get better pictures of our 2 classics too.
C'mon SW, where's that Woody???

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

A couple of years ago we were in Santa Cruz and there was some kind of Woody convention, they were everywhere.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

another

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

great works of art

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the thread KC.
If you grew up in the 60's in CA, this is the vehicle you wanted if you were a surfer! I always wanted one. More photos to follow.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Calif_Sue, I was tired so I went to bed. Here is another view of the same Woodie.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sue, If I'd been there, I would have tried to get a ride in one. LOL! They really are beautiful in their way. I just realized I'm going to have to go get a photo of DH's '65 Mustang to show you too. He loves that car.
Here is a different Woodie. Front view.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Same Woodie, 3/4 view.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hood ornament for the same Woodie.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Just to make this complete, the logo on the front of the Woodie.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

My friends race car. It's built on a VW chassis. Not that I'm up on that stuff. I usually can't even tell the different makes of cars apart. DH is squeezing himself into it, with my friend, Boomer's permission. That's Boomer in the back sitting down, holding his cane.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Another photo, only this time DH has managed to squeeze in to the race car. In the background you can see some of the muscle cars. Of course you can also see Boomer better, too.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Side view of Boomers race car.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Joes Cherry truck, from a distance.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm beginning to think that somebody doesn't like Joes' truck. This is the photo I posted yesterday, but it ended up being a landscape photo. That is Joe in the White Cowboy hat. I spoke to him and told him how much I admired his truck. Nice guy!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, I see a time delay! The photo showed up after all. LOL! Here is a side view of Joe's truck. I don't know the year or the maker, but I like the truck a lot.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This is a Vega body on a race care frame. Scares my friend Tom's wife when she rides with him. It goes fast! It has a wheelie bar in the back too. (I asked DH, cause I don't know, shrug!)

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

DH's dream car from behind.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Now my photos have all disappeared again. Dave must be tweaking DG. Here is DH looking it over from the side of the Shelby. Only one there by the way.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Front of Shelby with hood open.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

DH looking at a '66 Mustang.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I loved these guys sense of humor. Get a look at who is behind the steering wheel and who the passenger is. LOL! Side view of the same red '66 Mustang.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This is same color "Springtime Yellow", as DH's Mustang, but his is a '65, while this is a '66. DH says it was the most popular color for Mustangs, but you seldom see them anymore. I call it Banana yellow. LOL!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Photo of early '60's Corvair.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Front view of Corvair.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

An old Falcon. DH thinks it might be a '65.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Last one for now. I don't know what it is, but look at how clean that engine compartment is. If only my house were that clean. LOL!
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Woweee SW and Sue, how cool are those!

I only have old photos, but my dad used to design and build sports cars in the garage. He finished three while I was growing up. My brothers (2) belonged to a drag racing club and went on to build and race 3/4 midgets and speed boats. We always had old Fords in various stages of renewal, or their friends would be around to borrow my dad's tools (that led to some problems!). Big brother #2 took a liking to Corvettes and I would get rides to the Saturday night dance if I helped wash it and ironed his pants for date night. :-) Oh, the envious stares I got when he dropped me off at the door! Fun times. I've read that a lot of men are growing up with almost no mechanical abilities because they don't fix old cars and equipment anymore. I worked for a surgeon once and he said rebuilding carbs was good training for doctors. He had his in the sterilizer a few times. LOL

Will try and find some old pics later - today I am playing mama to a baby hummingbird. Check out the Hummingbird Adventures thread.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

All I did was post some pics of our local car show. I about have DH talked into entering the next one. He still drives his Mustang. Which I forgot to get a photo of today. First thing tomorrow! I'll forget again.
I tell you some of these rides were really sweet, and I know that there would have been more people to view them except it was like 95 degrees that day. You noticed that shade structures were set up, and people were sitting in the shade under the trees in the photos I posted. That's because it was hot. I understand the snow cone guy went home really happy.
The reason most kids don't learn how to repair cars these days, is because they are no longer primarily mechanical in nature but have integrated electronics throughout. Much harder to work on unless you have the right computer program.
IMO, Corvettes have two purposes, they go fast, and they are chick magnets. LOL! You must have really enjoyed your brother driving you to the dance, but he was a stern taskmaster. Washing the car and ironing? I would have walked, naw never had any trouble getting a ride. Maybe not in a 'vette, but an old Ford that still has a working radio that picks up the local rock station wasn't bad either.
Besides I only lived a block away from the high school I went to here in CA. In my SR. year I was living in OK with Dad, and my boyfriend played in the band. Always had a great time.
Brings back the memories don't they!
WIB!
SW

There was a car show in Fallbrook and I missed it, darn it! http://www.thevillagenews.com/story/38319/
I always forget these things.
They have Cruisin' Grand nights in Escondido, too.
We don't go out at night anymore, isn't that pathetic? :-)

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I finally got a chance to show you my DH's '65 Mustang. Will have more photos tonight.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Cool - now that's a Mustang!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The tease! Front view!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This is the passenger side.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Looks to me like that rear window has been replaced. Yippee!
We are usually at the beach when they have the car show in Temecula so we only got to see it for the first time this year. We happened on one once up the coast in SLO county. Too tired to drive anymore. Last room in town. Took a walk through the town park after dinner, it was fun. They had live music, lots of people enjoying themselves and dancing. I had a good time, anyway. I guess every show is different.
Thanks to the link to the one you missed, KC.
It was kinda interesting. More on that later.
It's late.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

DH says he wants to put in the radio and then he'll be ready for a road trip. So I'll keep you posted, then we can plan our road trip. LOL!
WIB,
SW

This message was edited Jun 12, 2009 5:15 PM

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

You're right about young guys not knowing much (if anything ) about cars in this day and age. Computerized mechanics is a huge part of it, as well as the fact that gas stations are now mainly all "self-serve' anymore and few if any have service bays or a mechanic on duty.

When I was a teenager, I worked in lots of different gas stations part time. Not only did you pump gas (and ck. under the hood, clean windshields, fill tires, etc ), you also had to learn basic car repair, how to change oil, and the longer you worked there, the more you'd learn about cars and how to recognize problems and how to fix them on your own. It was great learning experience and they were fun jobs.

Teenage boys could always get jobs working in gas stations back then. (We even used to give away Blue Chip Stamps and S and H Green stamps when people bought gas back then... lol )

I've always thought that schools should teach basic auto mechanics to boys AND girls as well as basic houshold repair type things to both...and that they should teach boys BASIC COOKING. I didn't know how to boil water when I moved out of my parents house.

I watched my dad rebuild 2 '57 Fords in our garage. The engines were nowhere near as complex as they are now, though. Times have definitely changed !

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

You know I was thinking about it after we started this discussion, and I decided that my DH is a technophobe, and much more comfortable with things he can see how they work. Classic car engines were mechanical in nature, and easy to understand how things were put together.
I never worked at a gas station, but I know a lot of guys my age who did. These days are kids are growing up woefully ignorant of how to repair anything themselves. I know how to change tires, any desert rat does. My brother and I worked our way through college by rehabbing houses. He did the mechanical, and the carpentry, and I did the glass and prepping and painting. Learned all about home repairs among other things living on a farm later.
JD, I remember collecting those stamps you were handing out, and actually redeeming them.
I absolutely agree with you JD, about girls learning the basics about auto repair/maintainance and boys learning cooking. I'm forcing my boys to learn how to cook. They resent it but they are learning anyway.
I'm so glad that I'm not a "helpless female", although these days I'd call AAA to change the tire for me. LOL!
I think DH finds working on his Mustang relaxing. Everything makes sense and there is a certain order to it. He loves driving her. Says the radio works and he can get KFI just fine! LOL!
He plans on getting an underdash for more recent innovations, like FM radio, cd, mp3 or whatever is the current thing. I'm really fond of my satellite radio, but I'm spoiled.
WIB,
SW

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.