Journaling on DG

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi everyone...

I'm posting this on the two forums I frequent the most often, and where I know the most people.

Please tell me about the Journal part of DG. Is it hard to navigate? Easy? I've never used it, and I can't figure out how to get started. Do any of you use it for yourselves? What about the software systems for garden databases for your PC? I've always wanted to keep some sort of garden journal, but don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance for any help, opinions, and information.

Karen

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have started a journal but don't quite have it down yet. I do like what all I can do with it but I'm not there yet. There is a primer I found it some where (will look and see if I can find it again) I printed it out so I could read it as I was working on the journal. That helped me a lot. Good Luck

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Karen - I LOVE it!!! I probably don't use 1/4 of the features it provides but certainly it helps me keep track much better - not only of "inventory" so to speak but if I had certain problems with a plant - if a particular cultivar makes a habit of dying on me (you'd think I'd remember that...but noooooo), who (vendor, trade, ebay seller) I got the plant from, my thoughts on its fragrance and what I put where b/c many times I've not tagged something...ugh, my bad - I know. Feel free to peek at mine http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/sj/Chantell/0/ - it's not great but like I said it keeps me on track. I have folders according to area and also folders of particular plants that I have many of i.e. Gardenias, Jasmines, Brugs.
Easiest way for me to do it is to google the plant - then click on the DG listing that comes up - scroll down the plantfiles page on it and then click on add to journal....whaaa laaa!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm not near as far as Chantell, One of my journals is a "This to That" which I can document changes to my garden. I have also started a plant list, and broke mine down into plant types, perinals, roses, ect....You are more than welcome to look at mine here is one of my "this to that" entries, guess I will need to update it again.
http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/viewentry/230847/

This message was edited Jun 8, 2009 10:19 PM

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you girls! I will be off Thursday and Friday this week, and I will peek at both your journals!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I have been using mine too. It's the best way for me to keep track of my plants. I, like Chantell find it easier to find the plant in plant files and add to my journal. You will just have to create catagories as to how you want to set up your journal, some do it by annuals preannuals, shrubs. Others do it by gardens like shade garden, front of house, north side. Just look at what others did, there is no right or wrong, just what you like.
You just have to click on someones name to the left of their post to see if they have a journal and then you can look at what they did.

have fun !

This message was edited Jun 8, 2009 10:20 PM

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

My journal needs to be updated, but please feel free to take a look at mine too.

Monrovia, MD

Thanks to you all - that was helpful to me too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.