Podophyllum hexandrum?

Brookfield, CT

While I was scrolling through Todd's May thread Leftwood's picture of Podophyllum hexandrum caught my eye. I had just posted this picture at the Plant and Tree ID forum. So what do we think, folks? Is this the same plant? Mine has never bloomed for me, and is growing in what could be described as dry shade. Not true alpine or even rock garden conditions, but never mind that. I have Podophyllum peltatum growing in similar conditions in another section of the garden. I can see how they might be related. Thanks.

Thumbnail by wandygirl
North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Looks like that to me. A very nice specimen. I have a lovely one with more mottled leaves but it hasn't flowered yet.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

A picture of a new leaf on my plant.

Thumbnail by Galanthophile
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

"(G)rowing in what could be described as dry shade. Not true alpine or even rock garden conditions..."
Since the genus seems to consist of woodland plants, rather than alpines, it does make sense that they don't seem to require sharp drainage/scree.

Brookfield, CT

Since this is the Rock and alpine forum I thought that was a relevant point to mention. Is age a factor before this plant will flower?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Based on the size, it may well bloom next year.

BTW, I like to think this forum is more the esoteric plant forum...many of us alpine growers also grow unusual woodland plants...Podophyllum certainly belongs in that group! :)

Brookfield, CT

I am looking forward to seeing if this blooms next year.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Esoteric Plant Forum . . . . I like that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.