mY gLORIFIED pOTTING sHED - pART 4

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well here we are, the month of June and a new GPS4.

We got a lot of rain last night. 2.5 inches so that ought to make things grow and get humid.

I need to do some catch up work. Not sure where I am gonna start today so will come back after a trip to the Cafe.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Here is the link from where we came!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/982535/

And welcome June...at the GPS4

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I got this from DIRTYGIRL&! - I love it. She called it a BABY SUN ROSE! I think I am going too bump it up to a hanging basket. I am soooo hoping it will winter over as a houseplant. And hope to also take cuttings of it!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, I bumped the baby sun rose to a hanging basket and it now has more room to grow.

Also made a hanging basket of creeping Jenny. Terri said that they do it in her neck of the woods so I thought I would give mine a try. Had to stick a lot of starts in it.. so maybe in a few days we can take a look at it as it settles to growing. It is not very pretty now!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

The creeping Jenny grows in a very wet place in the garden and is often under water so I guess there is no such thing as overwatering it!

Well here is the baby sun rose.

Looks like the begonia, the coleus and the blue hydrangea cuttings I took, are growing. The mother plants are growing well too so I think I just might strike some more of those.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Between yesterdays rain and today. we got somewhere between 3.5 to 4 inches. I hope it clears up. The hub told me that we have a Baltimore oriele nest out in the prairie and I want to take a looksee!

Finally got my new Blue hydrangea planted in the garden. I did take a few more cuttings to root off of it and have a few started too that I bumped up to bigger containers.

Bumped up some tomatoes to hanging baskets. I think I did about 15 of them with three in the basket. I am hoping these are cherry tomoatoes. They were volunteers in the gardent where the cherry mater was last season.

I dug up 4 baby snowball bushes, 3 honeysuckle vines, one sweet autumn and potted them.

We planted 15 green hostas that were in pots to a new garden bed, transplanted about 32 more hostas from another bed. Dug two evergreens and moved them to the new bed.

Planted one snowballbush to another bed. Put in some variagated hosta in that bed.

Moved some daylilies to the sitting garden and moved some containered hostas to the wood box there.

I made some coleus cuttings and also did a flat of mum cuttings.

We planted 13 aussie willows and watered them and the plants we potted.

I weeded the tomato patch and pulled weeds from the container plants.

I'd say we had a full day. And yep, there is a nest back there where the hub said. We are not fully sure if it is a baltimore oriele or possible some other bird that will weave a similiar nest. We did not see the parents yet.

We did see some 60 plus finches going at the seed that the birch tree has dropped and as the day went on, the number of birds there keeped getting larger! What a sight to see so many yellow birds and their mates and also some red finches!

Here is that creeping Jenny I started.. its a tad dirty yet. I think I am gonna set this and the baby sun rose out in the rain.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

just the veiw east of the GPS! The spiderwarts are making their show!

I dont mind these taking over. They seem to compliment the wildflower theme going on here in the garden and go nicely with the domestics as well.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2009 6:40 AM

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Here are the new cuttings...

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Going to start off the day pertty much like yesterday and check on the work done and water. Looks lioke a sunny day!

The cuttings look fine. I always seem to have good luck in taking cuttings after a rain and when the cooler weather is.

The vines perked up in the pot and so to did the snowball bushes. Pic from left to right are the honeysuckle vines, the sweet autum and then the snowball bushes and the white flower is a yarrow.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Here is KONG coleus. It is getting huge. I am afraid I dont have a bigger pot so I hope it will be happy.

Looks like its past time to snip those chives. The chives in the black pot are in a 4 inch pot to give a better idea on how big KONG is so far. I expect that coleus to get much larger. Hope the cuttings I took will make it and I hope to winter them in the house as a house plant.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well here is my smaller coleus...

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

The mixed bag of begonias that I took cuttings from. There is white, red, pink and another pink.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Here are the tomatoes we planted and the pepper pots.. oh ugh.. the pic is blurred.. sorry on that.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Some of the hanging tomato baskets... this is something new I am trying with cherry tomatoes.. hope this works!

There are three in a pot...to which I expect will be too many, but we can always trim the plants if it overwhelms the basket!

Wish me luck on these.

I got the idea from an upsidedown hanger grower kit I saw in the store and got to thinking, just put them in a hanging basket.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Here is the blue hydrangea we planted in the garden - its called actually - ENDLESS SUMMER

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Herer are the green hosta transplants and the two ever greens. The evergreens are reall small and the hostas will cover the wood edge of the bed when grown. Actually when we are done it will have emerald blue creeping phlox hiding the wood edge so we will not see the booboo in the wood where we put the joining peice. Sometimes when on a budget we gotta fudge things!! LOL!

Goodness knows how we are on a budget.. if we had money we would be "dangerously" gardening with so many new things!! But we are frugal. We use many recycleds in our building and decorating here.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Here is one of the first cuttings I took of e Endless Summer.. it has a small flower bud starting. I put it in the original pot I got the parent plant of. The parent is the one above in the garden.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Here are the rest of the Endless Summer cuttings. I just started. They are looking good this morning.

To the right are some coleus starters and to the back is a flat of mums started the other day.

I best get to watering things around here and catch up on some more stuff we are behind on. Its going to be a really short day here.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Discovered this pretty red snap with the yellow "lip" today!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Grape seedlings I started on 4/29/09, just now sprouting! When they first came up I thought they were weeds and almost pulled them!

They are a puirple tasty grape, much like a concord..but not!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

light pink petunia

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

pink pink

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

PURPLE... the color is a tad off.. it is not blue.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, I got the stuff in the GPS watered and it looks like it rained last night with more to come so I am not watering containers.

We finished cleaning the animal shelter last night so have plenty of organic fertilizer for the next garden. I am so glad to be done with that chore. This is the latest we have ever finished.

I need to be digging some plants out, but the rain has got me delayed again. So I guess I will be working on logging and updating today.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Been a delightful day today.

Got some more tomato baskets made.

Dug up and divided a huge Stella de Oro that gave 10 very nice divides and delivered them to the garden area they are going into.

I moved some more annuals to our sitting area, we watered and moved some more baskets to our little garden area.

Loooks like the weed kill we did a few days ago is taking its affect so I will be able to stick a few more tomatoes in the ground.

We took a tour of the ranch and took more photos of wild flowers and garden blooms.

The potatoes are up, but not all.. just some. I think we will be lucky to get anything off of them being they went in so late, but time will tell.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, here we go again! Today we are at 1.5 inches of rain and water standing everwhere. Going to be interesting later what we will see on the ranch tour.

I need to dig turtleheads today. And get another clump of Stella pulled and divided.

london England, United Kingdom

Hi Blossom, You've been busy! How is the Kong Coleus doing?
Good luck with the cherry tomatoes, they will need lots of water with 3 sharing a hanging basket!
My Begonias are starting to show a couple of leaves now and I have some snapdragons ready to go out.
Is that a day lily in the last plant picture? Very pretty!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Tep, that is Stella de Oro daylily in the last pic. I got another 10 divides from another clup I pulled yesterday and have 5 more clumps to dig out. Sheesh, I just may get enough for my dogleg bed on the border! Thats where the new plants are going! Moved those fromthe greenhouse this morning..

Looks like the turtle heads are going to go to IRISH.

I took some cuttings of the coleus. Momma Kong looks like a bloom is forming. I need to transplant some of the coleus cuttings already. Thansk for reminding me by asking.

I have 37 hanging cherry tomatoes. Guess time will tell how they do. Yup, water them just about daily and they have plenty of organic manure in them and so far looking nice and healthy. Cant wait to see them hanging over! I also have about a dozen beefer tomatoes in pots.. jeez, I dont know what to do with those yet....should I bump them to bigger pots or plant them?

I only had a few begonias and their cuttings are not doing as well. Might have a couple new plants. Terri, have you tried them as houseplants? Like keeping them through winter?

I just pruned my snaps back and hope they get bushy now.

Well weather wise we had your London fog. Could hardly see this morning and it is slow to lift. Hope it does not get humid.

Finally got my new fern planted and I dug out a daylily that I have had for 5 or 6 years now and has not done squat. It was Blueberry Sundae and was amorphadite plant. Dang too because I paid good money for it and it has never grown or bloomed. Soooo very disappointed.

Well, guess I better get digging.. I feel like I am doing exersizes. 1-2-3-4-5 more stella to go... then I am gonna have to start replanting them .. right now, the divides are only going to pots.

.... heres KONG, last I shot it!

london England, United Kingdom

Hi Blossom, I'd plant the beefy tomatoes, easier to look after in the ground and they don't dry out as quickly as pots do here.
I don't have any Begonia houseplants, my Mum has a few nice ones. The corms I planted are very slow!! Guess it's just not warm enough yet.
One of my snapdragons has opened, it's salmon pink...... yuk! It should be bright red and yellow.

Keep up the good work mate!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! Salmon pink... awww mate thats not too bad, it will grow on ya!!

I dug three clumps of Stellas yesterday and still have to divide them. Been moving my matoer baskets around the hoop house trying to get them spaced for when they start crawling over the pot!

Looks like more rain.

I got a parcel at the PO so gonna go run down there and get it. Hope the postal monsters did not do it an injustice as DIRTYGIRL71 said she sent me some more Baby Sun Roses which are adorable! Oh boy oh boy!!! Gonna make more baskets! Im really haninging it up this year! LOL!

Well, catch ya in a while!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Got the parcel... awesome! DIRTYGIRLS arrived in fine shape!Gonna have several new baskets going with these plants she sent me! Must get potting!

There are the baby sun roses and some spiderplant starts! *GRIN*!~

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, I ended up witn 4 new baby sun rose baskets and I just love them! They are shown below!

Today I finished out also doing the Stella de Oro divides. Put up 23 more new plants of those. I figure I need about 500 for another bed I am working on in the future. First I have to finish the one projegarden though that the new divides are heading for.

We pruned some trees, cleaned up some debris and watered all the containers. Got all the hanging baskets moved to where they are going to hang for the season. I am supposed to be gettign some loofa seed.. I am thinking I just may try them in hanging baskets and let the vines creep down to the hoops of the hoop house. Dont know if it will work, but am gonna give it a go!

Well here are the new baskets of baby sun rose. They should settle in nicely and take off growing in no time!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Today we did hay. That took the day.

I have a huge clump of Siloam Ethel Smith on the bench waiting for me to divide.

Yanked a purple coneflower out of a clump of Stellas and got it potted. Gonna take it out to the prairie and plant it there along with some columbines and some margarite daisies.

Watered all the containers.

Moved a coleus out to the sitting area. Need to bump up some coleus cuttings to bigger pots.

This message was edited Jun 14, 2009 10:26 PM

This message was edited Jun 14, 2009 10:28 PM

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Still need to do the Siloam divide... bumped up a bunch of coleus and potted to baskets the new pink petunias I got in today. I scored a $2 deal on a flat of them.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Then I also scored 10 herbs at 25c each...

the Petunias went into hanging baskets and the herbs went part to a hanging basket and the rest were potted seperat for a culinary potting arrangment on the patio table. I also bumped up the coleus cuttings.

We lost some hay today due to rain.

Will have to take some pics tomorrow. I need to log some bloomers to the June 2009 In the garden.... Follow me!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

This was what they looked like before transplanting to those bigger pots. Man what a deal!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, once again we have had some rain. Looks like a half inch. The plants are just jumping our of their pots and the ground and everythingis looking good...well except for the weeds.

Here are the herbs I got in yesterday individually...starting with tri-color sage. I have been looking for this plant for 6 years or better!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Regular sage

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Golden Sage

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Chocolatemint

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.