lilac advice

Hampton Roads, VA(Zone 7b)

I live in a zone 7b/8a where I had a small Miss Kim lilac planted on the southeast corner of the house. Last month we had 3 consecutive days of 90-degree temps and the leaves rapidly began to shrivel. I promptly transplanted it to a shaded area, but the leaves never recovered. Not that the leaves ever made it through the summer anyway as this area is less-than-ideal for lilacs, given our heat and acidic soil. But it was a housewarming gift from my parents, and I'd really like to keep it. It'll need relocated to a sunnier spot, but I'm reluctant to stress it even more and just not sure what would be the best course of action. Any thoughts?

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I wouldn't move it again. That's causing more stress. My Miss Kim does fine in full sun, but it's out in the open, not next to the house. Sounds like a lack of water. I also have one that gets partial shade. It doesn't get as many blooms compared to the one in the sun. There is also a spray you can purchase called WiltPruf. It protects the leaves from extreme temperatures and wind burn. Did your plant come in a pot or balled and burlap? There is also a tool called Peterson's root waterer. You attach your hose to it and stick the rod into the the ground near the plant's roots. It will water the roots directly instead of surface watering with a hose. I've used it a lot, especially with new trees and shrubs. I hope Miss Kim makes it. They smell wonderful when in bloom.

You could also try bringing it back to the nursery where it was purchased. Your parents may have bought a sickly plant and they (the nursery) may replace it if it was purchased within a year.

Thumbnail by pastime

Thank you, pastime. The lilac was a healthy, potted plant when I received it 4 yrs ago and it had been in that SE location for 2+ yrs. In fact, last year it was covered w/blossoms. But I think you may be correct re: lack of water. We've suffered 2 yrs of drought, so the cumulative effect of that, plus my minimal watering and the unseasonable heat was probably just more than the plant could take.

I'm very interested in the Peterson root waterer but couldn't find it on Google. The closest thing I found was a Petersen livestock waterer. :/ I'll have to incorporate a root watering device of some sort when I transplant it in the fall, even a soaker hose ring would be better than nothing.

BTW, I have serious lilac envy now. ;) Wow, that's stunning!

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

My brain wasn't working yesterday. It's called a Ross Root Waterer. DAH! Lowes, Home Depot, Mennards and Ace Hardware has them available on line. Sorry. The little glass jar allows you to but in Ross fertilizer sticks.

Thumbnail by pastime

Great - thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.