What's happening in your early summer garden #2

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

WE've come from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/986514/

This is cdaylily 'Curly Pink Ribbons blooming right now.

Thumbnail by doss
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

That's a pretty one! I never used to like daylilies because growing up my mom just had billions of the plain orange and yellow ones, but I've seen enough pics of the fancier ones lately that I think I'll be getting hooked! I just ordered a few from Maryott a couple weeks ago, and if they are happy in my garden I could see many more in my future!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, since you asked. Here they are again! Taken this morning.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Time to start collecting seed from the Mediterranean Sea Pinks.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Bee working the white sage.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Water Hyacinth.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This last one was a surprise, it was something I planted, but I don't know what. Foilage kind of looks like lettuce. Must be something I planted for the b.flys or hummers, because it is in the raised planter.
Hmm.
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Nice shot of the bee enjoying the sage! I can never get good pics of them, they move too fast!

I can't tell for sure without seeing the leaves, but the last picture there looks like a hollyhock.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I know it's not a Hollyhock. I haven't plant any yet. This has a low growing foilage. Sending a photo that sort of shows the leaves. Will get a better one tomorrow.
Oh, ecrane, it really helps if the bee is really hungry and there are a bunch of them all working the same plant. Which is how I got lucky. Couldn't get as close as I wanted, but not bad for my point and shoot camera.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

dl Mike Rhoden and purple Canterbury Bells

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

dl Little Business very profuse low growing bloomer

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Foxglove seedlings. Gotta love these plants, plant them once and you get freebies for life !

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

ecrane, you'll be really happy with your order from Maryotts, he's a great guy, send generous plants! He used to be big time into bearded iris on a big property here in San Jose until he sold it for his property out in Corralitos, you'll see his name on many iris intros. He started with daylilies a few years back and jumped in full force.

Bachelor's Button 'Blue Diadem' with orange Mimulus aurantiacus ‘Pt. Molate’ & white Orlaya grandiflora.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

non-invasive oxalis and ground morning glory

Thumbnail by JasperDale

Those are two of my favorite plants Mike, they look good together too!

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

SW, your mystery plant looks like a poppy to me.

JasperDale, Your daylily with the canterbury bells makes a stunning combination!

Carol

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Jasperdale and Sue, such gorgeous purple/orange combos you've got there!

Thumbnail by robcorreia
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

SW, do the sea pinks propagate easily from seeds? I think those guys are so pretty, if you have some spare seeds could I trade you for some?

Here is my first cup and saucer bloom. This vine has covered at least 30 SF of wood fence since last fall when I planted the little 4" pot!

Thumbnail by robcorreia
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Ecrane, I am just like you on daylilies. I grew up seeing only the plain yellow/orange ones and always stayed away from them, until I joined DG and folks like Doss opened my eyes to the fabulous array of fancy colored ones...

Below are some OT lilies I got from a trade and my brand new Iris from co-op. The combo was unplanned but I like the result!

Thumbnail by robcorreia
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sure Rob, I'll be happy to save seed. I need to go out and dead head this weekend. Am sending a photo. I got these originally from the UCR Botanical Garden sale. They shouldn't be too hard to propagate. Mine have been in the ground two seasons now, and they do appear to spread. Not sure about whether from the roots or from seeds. Am sending another photo taken at the eye level of the raised planter so you can see them. The curved white rim you see behind it is an old bird bath top that was dinged up, so I put sand in it because I heard that b.flys like sand that the cats pee in. I'm pretty sure the cats are doing their part to help. LOL!
Here's the photo! As you can see, I really need to dead head the seed. ^_^
WIB!
SW

edited for spelling error.

This message was edited May 29, 2009 12:04 PM

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Fabulous! I know exactly where I'll sow them!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

OCCAROL, I did plant poppies in that area, but thought they were CA Poppies. I got them in a seed trade. I'll post a photo on the cottage gardening thread and see if anyone recognizes them. Thanks for the clue!
JD, I really love your photos. Your garden is coming right along. I really liked the Columbine and Daylily combo. I especially liked your dl Little Business. Where can I get some?
Say Rob, can you save me some seed from your cup and saucer vine! That is awesome!
Before I forget, stunning combo, Calif_Sue, your Batchelor's Buttons are such a vivid blue!
WIB,
SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Good, I know they'll be going to a good home. ^_^
Say how is your slope doing, Rob? I'm waiting for those elderberry to fruit, then I'm making raisons and giving them to you. Plant the whole raison, and see what happens.
The cuttings you gave me at the mini RU are rooted now, and I'm planning on planting them this weekend. Will send photo.
WIB,
SW

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Rob, is the Cobaea (cup and saucer) deciduous? Is it controllable? Looks like something DH would like growing on the veranda.

K

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

My Bower Vine is living up to it's nature.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

OCCAROL, you were right, those are poppies. DH confirmed it for me. Another photo of same. They are almost a burgandy color that goes pink at the edges. Gorgeous!
For some reason I was expecting the CA poppies. I love these because of the color. Gorgeous!
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

SW, I knew I recognizes those. I snitched a seed pod from Quail Gardens years ago, and have had them ever since. Only one survived the cats digging this year, but the seed is viable for years, so I'll always have some.
Carol

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks OCCAROL. ^_^
WIB!
SW

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

Dreary weather the last couple of days. Should be good day for digging in the dirt. No summer clothes today. Getting ready for June gloom I guess.

Still painting, will it ever get done I just don't know.

Wild Blue Yonder rose on the left, the coral Outrageous rose, blue scabiosa and a bloom on my Bali Watercolor daylily.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Bali Watercolor

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Wow, Sue, that's gorgeous!

Kathleen, the Cobaea is not deciduous (at least over here at the coast). I do think it's controllable, but I don't believe in anything "not controllable"; in our climate, all we have to do to control something is to stop watering, right? lol!

I think it would look gorgeous on your veranda! I'm sure I'll have plenty of seeds for you in the fall, everything in my garden gets pollinated. Just dmail me to remind me later in the season...

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

By the way K, I didn't give on having matilija poppies yet! I saw some 1 gals selling for $10 yesterday and although that's terribly expensive for a 1 gal plant, I had to get one! I'll be very careful with the roots and I'll plant them at the top of the hill.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

That's about normal price for them, Roberta! It should do fine.

After tidying up our Passiflora today - don't want it growing under the eaves and on the roof - we decided we might let it go across the back of the veranda, but keep the bower vine in the front. Wish the bower vine would do the job, though, as I'm afraid that passie will eat the house one of these days! The little skippers sure love it and we enjoy seeing them flutter around.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Samigal: I agree with you. This weather is horrible. It actually rained for about 10 minutes here today.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

WAaaaah! You got rain JD? We got dust. Sigh. And it was sunny most of the morning with some afternoon clouds. As good as it gets here.
Rob. Not watering will kill everything except Bermuda Grass. LOL. That stuff is tenacious. Here is what it looks like at my place outside the yard. We do water the Christmas Trees.
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Don't know what it is, got it at the orchid nursery that is going out of business. It's pretty little thing.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Rob,
You gave this to me at the Mini RU. I've forgotten what you said to do with it now and what it is? It does seem happy, but I'm sure it would be happier still with some dirt around it.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Last one for the day. My glads are coming on and they are so cheerful and pretty.
Calif_Sue, loved your flowers. Especially that blue scabiosa. Wow!
Samigal, I know the feeling. The back porch still hasn't been finished painted. I can't hardly function because I can't find anything. The painter paints things he shouldn't and is very careless. Sigh. Hopefully he will finish it up soon so Life can get back on track!
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

SW could that be a brugmansia (Angel Trumpet) you have there? The leaves look familiar to me. I had several buds on mine but I don't know what happened they all fell off and I had one large one too. They do love lots of water and what are we supposed to do when they ration our water and charge us more if we use too much! I guess I'll give up doing laundry, but that wouldn't go over very well.

DH wasn't feeling well today so of course he didn't get out to do any work, but I got my paint brush out again and finished the primer coat on several boards. I think I am really going to like it when it does get finished and I'm sure my plants will too. I promised pictures when it is finished, but that may be awhile.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.