When do Cornelian Cherry trees fruit after planting?

(Zone 7a)

I planted two Cornelian Cherry trees last year and they are growing well this year. Just wonder how long it'll take before they will flower and produce fruit. They were small trees when I put them in, about three feet tall now.

Greensburg, PA

While Cornealian cherries (Cornus mas) are partially self fertile, having a pollinator will increase the crop. When they first start flowering, they may produce just functionally male flowers or flowers not capable of setting fruit. As the plant matures they will begin to set fruit, then increase in productivity.

I have found Golden Glory to be a good pollinator, but lost mine this winter.

I have had fruit on trees only 2' tall. Once your trees have started to flower, I would expect to start to see some fruit set in 1-2 years, but that has just been my experience. I do not know if it holds true for all varieties or if my experience is unusual.

(Zone 7a)

Thanks krowten, Do you have problems with birds liking the Cornelian Cherries?

Greensburg, PA

So far, the birds don't bother them much, but I do occasionally see some activity. I do net my trees from time to time as they are still small. Note that some varieties appear to set fruit much earlier than others.

(Zone 7a)

I also have squirrels and I know that some of my fruits will get lost to them. There was a apple tree we use to have, was blown down with a bad storm, that the squirrels use to take bites out of some of the fruit. I staked some of the new trees I planted. I don't know how long to leave the stakes in the ground. I read somewhere that some feel that fruit trees shouldn't be staked. I guess I'm afraid they'll get blown down. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.