Miho Satsuma... graft?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a few potted citrus trees. The small lemon has thorns which I nip off to make it more hospitable. On Monday, I got out the nippers as I noticed some needed trimming from the Miho satsuma. I clipped all the thorns off a limb and stood up to check the new growth at the top when I realized it didn't have thorns.

I looked closer at the thorny limb and believe it is growing from below the graft. The thorny limb is the new growth to the left in the picture.

Thumbnail by podster

In this photo, the bottom limb had thorns the next one up did not.

I realize it is putting on growth from the graft stock. Any thoughts on what it would be grafted from? I feel certain I need to remove it. When is the best time to do so? And how?

tia, pod

Thumbnail by podster
La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

podster,
You didn't mention whether the citrus were dwarf or standard. Many dwarf are grafted on to Flying Dragon tri-leaf sour orange. In Texas several different rootstocks are used. If the label didn't specify, you would have to contact the grower to get the specific name, but it really doesn't matter what the rootstock it is. It was probably used because the root system of the rootstock is more vigorous that the scion wood. That vigor also means that any branches coming from it will also be more vigorous taking nutrients from the wanted top. If left on long enough all you will be left with are branches from the rootstock. You need to remove any branches that come from the graft union and below..

Bettydee ~ Thank you for validating what I suspected. I don't know if this is a dwarf and currently it is potted so being kept dwarfed. I wondered if that caused this. I did remove that limb last night. Once again, thanks for coming to my aid with your generous knowledge. I suspected I needed to post this in TX gardening or dmail you directly... 8 )) pod

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

pod,
I don't think being kept in a pot does it. Some rootstock tend to send out branches regardless. I have a Methley plum whose rootstock keeps sending out branches. All my other plums are well behaved. There is a product that is supposed to stop this type of branching, but I've never used it. I'm afraid of what it might do to the rest of the tree.
http://www.montereylawngarden.com/faqs/suckerstopper/

They didn't list citrus and I'd rather not lose this tree ~ I am with you on this one. I believe I'll just watch for the thorny suckers and remove them. Thanks again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.