More aristolochias

Dover, NJ

Hello all,

My Aristolochia ridicula has been blooming like crazy this spring. Here's a couple of pics:

Mark

Thumbnail by LouisianaMark
Dover, NJ

Here's a pic from the side

Dover, NJ

And I just found several buds on my cymbifera "Gonzaga": Should be a couple of weeks, maybe sooner. I'd love to see everyone else's pipevines.

Mark

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Wow .. those are really weird but beautiful. Somebody wake up Hicks.

X

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

That is so cool!! Have any to share?? *S*

Fort Collins, CO

Thanks for sharing the great pics Mark! Cool blooms! I would love to see A. cymbifera Gonzaga blooms when they open up. Thanks to a good friend of mine I have A. gigantea and A. trilobata! :) No flowers or buds yet. I cant wait to see them bloom. Any advice to a new grower of Aricholochias? I am growing them in containers, they are not hardy here.

Sincerely,
Vanessa

This message was edited May 25, 2009 6:59 PM

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Great pics Mark, thank you for sharing them. My A. ridicula has finally adjusted to being moved outdoors and is putting out new growth. I expect lots of blooms again this year. I find it easy to grow and easy to overwinter.

Erick

Dover, NJ

Thanks everyone, and LOL Xeramtheum--yes I got it--I've seen the movie dozens of times! So far I have not been able to get fruit or seeds from my ridicula vines. Last year I had 3 different ridicula vines blooming, and still no fruit, but this year I should have a few more, so hopefully I will have better luck. I did get a couple of seed pods from my A. gibertii.

Mark

p.s. Here's a fly's eye view looking into the ridicula

Dover, NJ

I checked my cymbifera vine this morning, and I could not believe how fast the buds are growing--and there are quite a few of them too.

Mark

I bought this pipevine, Aristolochia onoei 'Pipe Dream', from Asiatica Nursery a couple years ago. It made its first flower for me last week. It is a charming vine, with variegated leaves!

Here is the front of the flower, with a yellowish face and darker lines radiating from the center.

Joseph

This message was edited May 27, 2009 11:30 PM

Thumbnail by

Here's a lateral view of A. onoei 'Pipe Dream' small flower and the leaves that seem to cover up the flower from this eager photographer.

This message was edited May 27, 2009 11:31 PM

Thumbnail by
Dover, NJ

Nice pics and flower Joseph! I like the veins and red throat on that one!

My first cymbifera flower looks like it will open Saturday--and then there should be one or two a day after that. The vine and flowers are growing very quickly! Friday evening the biggest flower was 6 inches long--they can apparently get up to 8 inches, although maybe not if the plant is in a pot like mine.

Here's a pic:

Mark

Thanks very much, Mark! I am looking forward to seeing the flowers on the other pipevines I have growing...most I have grown from seed so it's taking a while to get to flowering size.

Dover, NJ

It didn't open this morning, but there is a small opening in the pouch that was there last night, so I thought it would open this morning. Maybe tomorrow.

Mark

I checked the flower this a.m. & saw it fell off.

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

So happy to have run across this thread. I purchased the pipevine ... Aristolochia macrophylla ... to grow as a food source for the butterfly cats specific to this vine.

My question to you who actually have experience growing this family of vines is how much approximate growth can I expect per year?

The plant I purchased has several tendrils of approx 10 to 12 inches. I'm new to this type of vine and assume each tendril will contine to grow from the leaf node. Each tendril stops with a leaf but it looks like there might be a slight swelling where the leaf is attached to the vine. Is this where new growth will form?

I have planned to plant it in a spot with support where it will get perhaps 6 hours of direct sun over the period of the day. Some dappled afternoon shade as the sun moves over some oaks but abt a total of six hrs of sun overall.

Any advice or information on planting and growing will be deeply appreciated.

Mary
North Little Rock AR

Dover, NJ

Hi Mary,

I haven't grown that species, but I believe it is one of the North American native pipevines. And if I remember correctly, it grows in wooded areas, so your partly shade location should be fine. Most pipevines are not picky about the ground they grow in--just don't flood it. I would give it some Osmocote in the spring. Pipevines are typically fast growers, and put out tendrils that can grow 6 to 10 feet long in a summer. But it will probably be a bit less for a young plant. Once its a couple of years old, it should be pretty vigorous.

Good luck!
Mark

Dover, NJ

My gibertii vine has some buds now. I hardly noticed them until this weekend. And my labiata vine also has some baby buds, too small now to see if they will develop.

Here's a pic of the gibertii bud:

Mark

Dover, NJ

The gibertii vines are starting to open 1 or 2 flowers a day! Here's a pic:

Mark

Dover, NJ

Finally got a flower on one of my ringens vines today (I think its 3 years old), and it looks like more will follow. I pollinated this one with some pollen from the one below--hopefully that will work!

Mark

Dover, NJ

First bloom yesterday on this vine, which I'm not sure if its supposed to be a labiata or a cymbifera (doesn't really look like either of those). The labiata and cymbifera are next to each other, and of course the vines don't stay on their own trellises.

Mark

Dover, NJ

My gibertii vines did well with the hand pollinations, and I have about 20 seed pods. They seemed to have ripened pretty fast--it looks like some of them are ready to harvest!

Mark

This message was edited Jul 31, 2009 8:57 PM

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

COOL BEANS!!..i have 3 pipevines here growing here..

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh Lordy .. ya'll have to quit waving those things in my face .. I already have enough vine addictions as it is.

X

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Great photos, Mark! Thanks for posting.
Mike
(I need to move farther South! It's killing me to see all of these cool vines that I can only grow as houseplants.)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

My resistance is crumbling .. unfortunately I have a greenhouse. They are absolutely stunning!

X

Dover, NJ

Thanks everyone! If I could just get my Itarana to bloom I'd be happy! Unfortunately, the trellis on my oldest Itarana vine just broke yesterday in a heavy thunderstorm. The plant looks to be OK, but fixing the trellis is going to be a chore.

Mark

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

Mark-
Would you mind posting a picture of your Itarana leaves? I have 2 aristoclochias that lost their tags, and I know that one of the is the Itarana. Looking at your pictures, I can't wait for my cymbiferas to bloom.

Dover, NJ

db,

Here a pic of of the Itarana leaves--they are speckled like gigantea leaves, although the older and higher up leaves tend to lose the speckles. I'm going to fertilize mine in a couple of weeks with bloom enhancing fertilizer to see if that will do the trick. If not, I'm going to find a spot and put them in the ground.

Mark

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks Mark. I'll look tomorrow and see which one it is. My gigantea is full of buds right now - I'm not sure if it's the extended cool, wet weather or the new fish fertilizer. The others didn't have buds last time I checked. Of course, it rains almost every day, so they could have flowered for all I know.
Diane

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi, does anyone have one of these plants for sale? I checked ebay and only one shows, in fact they show the same picture for two different plants so I leave that one alone.Please D mail me

Doris

Dover, NJ

Doris,

There are usually some at Georgia Vines, Zone 9 tropicals, and Logees. I have some gibertii seeds if you are interested.

Mark

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

what does the flower of Giberti look like, could I leave that out in my zone or would it need to be in a pot.

Dover, NJ

Doris,

Scroll up in this thread for a gibertii pic. I've harvested 21 seed pods this summer from my gibertii vines, so I have quite a few. It would need to be a pot in your zone, and protected from freezes.

Mark

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I started trilobata from seeds last winter, fimbriata that I started this spring, how long before they bloom?
My Calico Pipevine has grown alot this summer !

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Dover, NJ

MJ,

I think most of the aristolochia are 2nd year bloomers.

Mark

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

ok..so I should get blooms on them next spring ?

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Mark, if you are selling seeds, or a small plant,please let me know, I can pay with Paypal. Thanks

Doris

Dover, NJ

Doris,

I'm not selling, I'm giving. Check my trade list--you can have anything you want for $1 in postage stamps. I have bubble mailers.

Mark

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Will be in the mail today, sent you email.
Have you ever seen a Gloriosa Rothschildiana, I have my first bloom, very unusual, I love it, posting picture in the Vine4 Forum, I have no idea about seed pods I will have to look it up.

Doris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.