Uses for cat fur

Shenandoah Valley, VA

This little bird was hopping around under the roses the other day. I finally figured out what he was doing. My cats like to lay in the shade under those roses and he was gathering cat fur for a nest.

Thumbnail by hart
Gettysburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I always brush my dogs outside and leave LOTS of hair for the birds! Too bad they can't come inside and pick hair off my couch for their nests!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Now there's an idea. "Billy Mays here with the amazing new Fur-Renn! But wait! There's more! Order today and we'll include the amazing Fur-R'bin absolutely free! Just pay shipping and handling that totals more than the worth of the entire order!"

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

ROTFLMBO....oh Diane THAT'S good....really good.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Heh. Isn't he cute? I can't believe the photo came out - I shot it through the back door window.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

We always brush our dog outside and put her fur in a hanging suet feeder. It is great fun to watch the birds take a mouthful of fur to use in their nests :) I tried using cat fur too and they didn't touch it, so I stopped including it. Maybe if they have the choice they get picky lol.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I put dryer lint out for them. LOL

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I can just see the neighbors now....bad enough I know they see me throwing corn on the cob and bread over my fence on the hill...and bananas and greens to the back of my yard...egg shells in the front....IF I start taking the dryer lint out....oh my!!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Gosh, if I could help the birds AND befuddle the neighbors I'd really have to do it. LOL

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Ok here is a story for you. When we had our Alaskan Malamute we would brush her in the back yard, they "blow coat" in the spring. A neighbor stopped his car and asked what was in our yard. My husband told him the dog exploded.

Your birdie looks like a Tufted Titmouse. ??

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL!!!! I brush my cats outdoors too and somewhere I read to put a clump of fur in an old pantyhose or knee high and tie in a knot and tie to a stake about 6-8" from the ground, to keep bunnies away from your veggies, etc. I tried it last year in my strawberry patch and the rabbits wouldn't come near. My cats "take care" of the little bunnies and leave them for me to find in the flower beds. Eeeuck!
That is an amazing pic of the bird!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yes, a titmouse. I brush my pup outisde too, he likes to chase down the fur balls as they blow away.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

LOL Chris, remember the commercial a few years ago where the lady finishes vacuuming and the cat explodes fur all over? That never failed to crack me up.

I think I do remember that commercial. Like me, I no sooner put down the throw rug that I washed and dried and the cat comes along and decides to toss up a hair ball on it. I give up !!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh Chris now that's funny....I remember the "blowing of coat" only too well - we had an Akita prior to my discovering Rottie.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

LOLOL !!
Well, instead of stuffing dog hair in the compost I'l just festoon the garden fence. Birdies can take their fill. I've been so happy with birds I'm hearing here. Warblers! Flycatcher is back for third or fourth yr, Robins, Wrens, and wood thrush--couldn't believe that one and maybe it's passingthru to the nice deep woods. Peewee and --whatsitcalled- "Drink your teeeea!"

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

How funny. A long time ago we had a beautiful samoyed. The birds loved her pretty, fluffy white fur. Currently, one of our bluebird houses is being used by a pair of purple martins. I tried to dissuade them so another bluebird couple could nest, but they kept building even after I'd removed two nests. With such tennacity, how could I deny them. They brought white turkey feathers from the roadway to line their nest (turkeys being transported by truck must be bald by the time they get where they're going). They had difficulty getting the feathers through that little hole, but the female turned them this way and that until she could slip them inside. Very comfy.

Just like getting a large mattress up a winding stairwell. LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

When we had the horses we would find horse hair in all the boxes and nest, some were even the long mane and tail hairs. the resourcefulness of these little birds incorporating local materials is just wild. Ric

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.