My Morning Glory Adventures

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I haven't been on Daves' for a year yet, but since I have come here, I was introduced to some morning glories with funny names, found out there were hundreds of kinds of these facinating flowering vines that I have always grown as regular as any other flower I put out as a seed. I was given several kinds of Japanese Morning Glories, found out that there are i.nils, i.purpureas, and i. hedera whatever I can't even spell them yet. So, this winter I got caught up in putting together a basement nursery, intended to house plants that I found out were not winter hardy to my state, and since I invested so much money, I felt I had to continue to take care of them. I set up my patio table and chairs in the basement. I bought about ten flood lights, and four 24 in. long grow lights. I brought in all my plants still in the pots, dug up the ones I had to dig up, used the outdoor dirt , and set up some old mirrors, . , got out my old seed trays, bought some huge tubs, some pumps for water, brought down my outside fountain tub, and commenced to keep summer all winter. Thanks to Daves' Garden, I am getting to know alot of great plant lovers, and most of them love Morning Glories. ( THAT IS HOW I SPELL IT< TOO)
I have written many poems about these climbing "season callers", Painted lots of water colours, collected hand painted morning glory pcitures by people I know, and have an album full of pictures thru theyears of me standing with a child in my arms in front of what ever grow out I had that year. I have always gathered the seeds, and replanted them. They have always been blue.
Now, I have learned, that there are colours and patterns and spots and dots, flakes and stripes, tiny flowers, huge flowers, carnation looking flowers, exotic flowers, bush type, caudex type, prenneils and annuals.. never had heard of anything like these before in my whole 57 years on this earth. I saw a flower called scarlet o'hara on ebay. that was 2 years ago, I thought I would try it. I was awestruck that they were a deep pink red... then I saw a pink coloured one, bought it.. , and then a Purple one! had no clue. colours were all I saw. last year I grew all four out. but on ebay, I also found all these other great vines.. cardinal flower, moonflower, cypress vine, so, I bought them as well. I planted all these vine seeds to gether. all around my yard, but always keeping the original blue ones over the years in some special spot.. these were in sept 06... no flash.. cheap camera.. but pretty much the same colour as in 1996, and 1986.. 1976.. and so on.. my grandma grew these behind the chicken coup.. ( what is a chicken coup?) these are on the dogrun fence that year in 2006

Thumbnail by joeswife

I decided I would grow a pot one year, with a tall stick, and see if I could have my own "Garden Art" And it was great. One year I had them in the middle of my always over crowded whiskey barrels, with a pole to climb, that was great. then I needed a "wall" or curtain as I call it, of those so I wrestled them out of my other plants and built a wall ..it went from this..

Thumbnail by joeswife

to this

Thumbnail by joeswife

I had my little private room, which took awhile to grow.. the little pole area with my blue morning glory, started off with some flower pots.. loaded with seeds and plantsin one corner by the bean patch

Thumbnail by joeswife

the pole was in a pot in two barrels.. one in one corner, one in the other..

Thumbnail by joeswife

couldn't stop adding flowers and planters and poles and seeds.. I decided the fence was too naked.. didn't want to see the neighbors.. this is the other morning glory pole... I would get my packages and open them immediately, grab my trowel, head out the door.. work clothes, dress shoes, it didn't matter.. I wanted my morning glory curtain and I wanted it fast..

Thumbnail by joeswife

so I lined up the north fence with the four seeds of morning glories I loved, had no clue whether they were i.nils., i. purpuea, or what ever they were called..

Thumbnail by joeswife

I fell in love with the red one and the pink one

Thumbnail by joeswife

by july my flower pots had grown full of flowers of all kinds, but I always had my favorites..

Thumbnail by joeswife

My room was almost complete by the end of july, and as I watched the morning glories bloom and fade, I started to feel like I had to savor every minute of my time outside..

Thumbnail by joeswife

If anyone wanted me, they knew where to find me, I never watched tv, talked on the phone unless it rang, half the time I didn't hear it even.. all I wanted to do was watch things grow, unfurl, climb, curl, reach out for the sun..
family had to go around to the gate to come and see me if I locked them out.. I lived , breathed, and dreamt of my garden..April.. southwest corner

Thumbnail by joeswife

some blooms
4 oclocks

Thumbnail by joeswife

I made sure that when I sat at my table I saw colour every where I looked

Thumbnail by joeswife

if I didn't have a pot, I made one
choclate ajuga

Thumbnail by joeswife

I grew alot from seeds.. which I have shared with alot of people..

Thumbnail by joeswife

I started seeing things as I browsed ebay, a bad thing.... pictures of things I didn't even know existed..
like this

Thumbnail by joeswife

I was waiting for my morning glories you see.. so I had to do SOMETHING.. in the meantime, you know they take a while to bloom..that seed thing really worked for me.. throw some here and there in the snow where I wanted them to pop up..

This message was edited May 21, 2009 2:29 AM

Thumbnail by joeswife

I would check like every other hour to see some form of progression.. My family thought I was nutz.. crazy flower lady they called me
salmon four o clock

Thumbnail by joeswife

when this one opened, i about fainted..the package from ebay called it flying saucers.. now I know better.. but it was the biggest morning glory bloom I had ever had in my whole gardenng life... late now, I have to work.. I would rather go out and plant seeds in the dark, but wait.. I did that last night..

Thumbnail by joeswife

these were so dark... I couldn't understand why they turned light later..

if anyone has any IDs on any of my mgs, please feel free to suggest what they are, I have seeds from them as usual, and those seeds were in the mixes I sent out to some of you..

Thumbnail by joeswife

SOH ( supposedly) from ebay last year

Thumbnail by joeswife
Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Debra - This one here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6577845
looks almost a lavender-blue...was it (?)...do you still have seeds collected from that particular vine (?)

The dark purpurea
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6577847
will often gradually lighten up after they cross with other purpurea

The sepals are that of Inil
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6577851
although the bloom looks smaller than is typical for the nils...

TTY,...

Ron

Thanks for the great story and pictures Debra... i would love to read your poetry and see your artwork.... please :-)

Colin

Thanks guys, Ron I sent you a pod from the one you asked about... it was the big round pod.. I have about 300 seeds from that vine.. off to work...

while going to the bank for deposit at work yesterday I passed a construction zone... saw a bunch of wild flowers and saw these, got out and snapped a shot

Thumbnail by joeswife

and these are also soon to be turned into pavement as well.. and now I have them out in my back yard.. I sent these off to the KNPS and to KUedw.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

These 2 here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6578076
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6578080
are Convolvulus arvensis...native to Europe...

Here I sit, trying not to think of the past few weeks of my dear Pauline, leaving us .. Tonight she will be gone into heaven, and I hope she finally gets to see my beautiful backyard project.. I planted some seeds in her honour, Rebecca from Karen, Emmas' Mix, and some of Beckys and josephs and Ronnies as well. All of them are up now, and this is what I have to show so far.. three new blooms from the seemingly never ending Raikou

Thumbnail by joeswife

This pot has some of beckys and some of ronnies ( luvs) and it is going crazy now

Thumbnail by joeswife

emmas Mix popped up in about two days

Thumbnail by joeswife

Miko no Mai popped up in about three days

Thumbnail by joeswife

Turbina from winter is now in turbo mode

Thumbnail by joeswife

Mutant needle leaf blue popped up quickly

Thumbnail by joeswife

I.Linenheimer is going happily crazy outside now..(from winter sowing)

Thumbnail by joeswife

albivenia and pes capre are starting to move a bit.. alivenia from winter sowing

Thumbnail by joeswife

pes capre is shy it could not get focussed.. or I could not focus it right..

Thumbnail by joeswife

I forgot the marker on these dang it, but I had to put something in the other side of the pink palm leaf plant that is winding around and killed its' twin I think,, welll something did anywayz.. wish I knew what I put in here.. it is nt written down so this must of been one of my "I feel bad so I am going to plant stuff until I feel better" moods..

Thumbnail by joeswife

here is the whole planter.. those baby leaves and cotyleons are huge in comparison to dainty pink palm

Thumbnail by joeswife

I keep finding morning glories from last year everywhere.. I just pull them out.. and then there are the ones I randomly planted in my "trying to forget bad things" mode I AM BETTING THIS ONE IS A CARDINAL VINE

Thumbnail by joeswife
(Zone 7a)

What a great story-teller you are - you make each transition from generic spot to private paradise a character unto itself. Am looking forward to more installments of this tale - I have a feeling there won't be an ending.

And ditto to Colin - would love to see more of your poetry and art

karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.