Newbie pics 4

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

I took this at the end of April. It doesn't show much in terms of detail but it does show how I got a little carried away with the size of the thing.

Thumbnail by DebbieLou519
Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

You have the bones of a great shade garden. Use the chopped up leaves that you can have to mulch around your Hosta and other plants you will have. You are fortunate to have nature's gift . Many of us must spend years getting what you already have. I wish you well.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh, you'll fill that up in no time. There's no such thing as getting carried away. We're assisting Mother Nature with her work. Nice job!

Kathy

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Peony. It's been a lot of work but also a lot of fun.

Kathy, that's what I keep telling DH but he doesn't seem to agree. He thinks I need to look into a 12 step program for plant addicts. lol

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Well, I would be the first to say that I'm a plant addict. But I'm not joinin' no 12-step program any time soon. I LIKE my addiction. Heh heh.

Kathy

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Beautiful garden! It will really look fantastic in a year or so. I admit I'm addicted but hey at least it's gives me execise and fresh air - can think of a lot worse things!!

Madison, WI

Great project! How many people worked on it? It will be such a wonderful area to walk through and see the plants grow. I wake up sometimes too early and go to the garden just to have a quiet moment to see things grow. My men don't appreciate plants unless they have flowers the size of a football :(

I've been looking through the pictures I took over the last two years and I wish I did more on this scale to get an idea of how the garden as a whole grows and changes.

Thank you for sharing.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

How many people worked on it? Just yours truly. All of the rock walls (and I use that term loosely - I'm no stone mason) came from rocks that I dug up. Dig a hole any larger than a tea cup and you hit rock...some little, some huge. The gravel paths were a challenge. I carried it up to the top in 5-gallon buckets.

I know what you mean by quiet moments in the morning. If the photo were to continue to the right there is a small patio that is just outside my bedroom. I love my morning coffee sitting there and just taking it all in. And my mid-day iced tea and evening wine...

My husband grows the fruit and veggies and I stick to flowers although he is very good about taking the obligatory "tour" every couple of days to see what is blooming.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Love the obligatory 'tour' idea Debbie. I'm so impressed at how much muscle you have put into this garden. What a project! Just beautiful.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Debbie -- very pretty! I have a question about your stone walls. Did you use anything to mortar them, or did you just stack the stones?

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Doss.

Happy, no I did not use mortar. I just stacked them up pretty randomly. If I came across a stone too big to dig up and move, I started a wall at that point. In the winter freeze/thaw I do end up with some stones that fall out of place so I re-stack them in the spring. The moles also cause a few to fall now and then as do the other local critters and my dog that chases said critters.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I like the way they look. We have so many rocks and stones in our yard that I may try the same approach...

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

I'd love to see a comparison pic with everything in bloom!

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Debbie,
That is really beautiful. I am very impressed. I, too, want to see it when things are in bloom. Really a great job.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

DebbieLou - WOW!! How gorgeous! I agree with kdfisher - I waould love to see pics of everything blooming, and then again in its full summer glory!! Fabulous job!! Samantha Oh, & PS - IF you truly are addicted, then you, my dear have come to the RIGHT place! LOL!!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Wonderful job, Debbie. The entire setting is so peaceful. I think I would be tempted to move a chair right in there for my morning coffee.

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

I wish I had that much space in the shade. I have dug up just about every area I have in the shade and it is only about 20 square feet all together.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Onyx, sounds like you need to plant a tree!

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Super job! I'm doing a woodland garden this spring and your garden is very inspirational. Are those redbuds?

Sandy

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

Yep, I think I need a larger yard too. I did realize that I have a bunch of lame grass on the side of my house that gets a lot of shade. I think I will make that one of my projects this year.
BTW- I didn't mean to put 20 sq ft...It is more like 40 sq ft

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Here it is as it looks this morning. I have a difficult time trying to photograph it. In summer when everything is filled out it is completely shaded and too dark to see. This is about as much actual bloom as I get.

Sandy, yes, those are redbuds.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

This is a view from the top down.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

And a close up on one of my favorites, dwarf crested iris.

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

A view of my shade garden in Broxton, Ga. Sharon

Thumbnail by Kgb4013

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.