icelandic poppies

Philadelphia, PA

Does anyone get icelandic poppies to overwinter? Or do they always die over summer?
I think I read they prefer somewhat alkaline soil, but can't seem to find out for sure.
(I've had a question posted over in soils for over a month with very little comment.)

Mechanicsville, MD

I planted some last year and they have not come back up this year.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I believe they thrive in the far Northern climates.....hence the name.

My sister lives in Homer, AK. I have been there 3 times and I have seen these amazing, blue Poppies.....Have never seen them anywhere else.

here's a picture----from the Lowell Thomas Museum gardens outside of Homer....

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Another shot....

ALL plants grow so well there in their short, cool Summers!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Philadelphia, PA

blue poppies are meconopsis. I saw one in bloom at chanticleer, which if you haven't visited, is worth it!
I'm trying some this year. We'll see. (Hirt's greenhouse has them cheaper then anyone; the first time they sent they were basically DOA but they did replace.
They are supposed to prefer dampness at well as avoiding heat. They are also supposed to be difficult to germinate.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sorry Midrashist. Only grow the Orientals.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Midrashist, did you try the Poppy forum? The only advice I can give you about Poppy culture, is just don't let their feet sit in damp soil. Every year I lose 1 or 2 young ones if we have a very wet spring. They hate being waterlogged. Raised or very sun baked beds are best.

Oh, I've had more success raising them from seed than buying garden plants. They don't take transplanting well. If you do buy plants, this is one case where younger is better.

Thumbnail by stormyla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.