Plum Munchers

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I've had this on my Cherry but my neighbors Santa Rosa plum is getting hit hard. We use dormant oil in winter and BT in spring. What is attacking his plum? And how can we remedy this?
Our area is getting hit with the Winter moth, it's not easy on the fruit trees but this looks different.
Thanks
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

A curculio?

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I don't think it's a Curculio, they make holes and leave debis. I suspect the Winter moth.
My buddy is worried of loosing his entire crop, I may loose most of my Stella cherries. His Stanley plums are less affected. Our apples are hit, especially the Crab.

More on the plum trees - first year trees Methley and Starking delicious plums have dropped leaves and show fast growing limbs with new leaves trying to make it. The leaves appear dry and have some rust like spots. My other fruit trees are doing much much better. I have never planted plum trees before and need advise as to what is happening. Help!!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

My/our problem has been confirmed to be Winter moth caterpillar damage by a local gardening guru. More stringent use of BT should help next season.
wwsjr, Plums are just another pitted fruit like peach and cherry. Your problem deserves a thread of it's own, people will not connect it to munching.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.