Done shopping, so how do I pack it safely?

Highland Park, IL(Zone 5a)

Got my hosta for the trade. How do I pack it for a safe trip? Do I soak it first? I have received them bare root, with the soil all washed off. Then they were wrapped in wet newspaper. Does this seem to be a good way to ship them? I plan to divide what I bought, as I have no mature ones to split. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7a)

Hey Justaysam - Your halfway home! Yes, it is a good idea to give them a good soaking before shipping. Then wrap the roots (only) with dampend paper towels. Then wrap the paper towels in something like saran wrap or a plastic baggie. Just be sure not to wrap the entire plant with the plastic wrap. Then use the newspaper to wrap the entire plant in (sort of like when you get a bouquet from the florisit. Box them up using some crumpled newspaper to keep them snug in the box. I alway ship mine USPS Priority Mail. They should arrive at their destination with no problems, even if the mail is a little slower than usual. Hope this helps.......Funkiaman

Highland Park, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.