philosophy 101

(Judi)Portland, OR

It is a rainy day and I am sitting in my dining room looking out at the very large mature rhody that holds court in my side garden. I noticed with surprise that there are many beautiful blooms in a purple hue so clear that it makes your heart ache. How long have they been there? Why didn't I notice? I am retired for goodness sake!!! When do I start noticing the world around me? Sure, I had an excuse when my career swallowed up my days like a shark stalks it's prey. But now - have I been too busy hunched down looking at seedlings and soil to see the larger world? Are we too busy roaming the nurseries hunting down our 'must haves' or planning still more changes for our beloved gardens? I am promising myself to spend 10 minutes each day to wander the yard and touch and observe. After all, observing is different than seeing. It's free, and it offers much in return.

(Judi)Portland, OR

from my window....

Thumbnail by Portland1
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

AAHHH!!! Lovely view. Observe, enjoy, and meditate on the wonders of this world. That means we DO have to slow down for a bit. AAHHH!!!!

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Judi,

It's easy for life to get so hectic that you don't take the time to really enjoy it. I spent all weekend outside last weekend, and still missed the fact that my big purple tree peony was working on opening. How could I have missed that?

I am very lucky to have my Mom close enough that we can share gardens. We make it a point to thouroughly walk both yards at least once a week to see what is new. Where is the joy in building a beautiful garden if you don't take the time to enjoy it?

One of the things that I love about this forum over the others I attend is that it encompasses everything in your garden. When it comes time to share pictures, etc., you spend time looking at EVERYTHING you have growing (instead of focusing just on daylilies, just on roses, etc.) with an eye for what others would enjoy seeing too. It gives you an extra reason to observe and enjoy!

(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA(Zone 8a)

It seems I spend more time enjoying my garden and the power of nature than actually getting something done. (Well ok, wandering around aimlessly) I love sharing the pictures too, and with all the photo editing I can really put a good light on my outdoor space.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

It's pleasant to cruise through the garden. I find it particularly satisfying on a 3-dimensional level, rewarding to the senses to see the progression of growth & various stages of a garden.
I think it's easy to get burned out when one does not take the time to acknowledge the work of one's hands & energy spent working the soil.
The rewards are well worth the time.
It seems like much of the time I have spent over the last few years has been more "frantic" -I am trying to accomplish much with the little time I have. I have to remind myself daily to slow my pace & enjoy what is happening at the moment.
And Judi, you are so right - what all do we miss when we focus more on the outcome? The picture in our heads often takes precedence over the individual elements.
Life is brief, time is precious, & the garden has treasures...

Well said Katye!

(Judi)Portland, OR

" The picture in our heads often takes precedence over the individual elements." Katye, how true that is! I keep thinking - if I put a nice shrub over there it would all look so great - instead of noticing how the plants that are already at home in my garden are doing. I think many of us are constantly looking for more more more, faster, faster, faster. My garden is trying to teach me patience. What are you guys learning from your lovely gardens?

I have learned that you may not remember next week where you planted that cool perennial that you just purchased at the nursery, but that you will never forget which plants in your garden have been given to you by a friend, and you will also never forget which friend........

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I have learned in the twenty years I've worked on this garden that I have done well with it. This was the first time I've ever started from scratch (literaly no good soil) and after the last rearrangement two years ago, I'm done with the basics. And I love it just the messy way it is.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Since I will be moving from Illinois to Oregon in July, this is the first year in decades that I am not "worrying" about getting everything in. In fact, I'm actually dismantling the garden, digging up & selling perennials (even tho I've lived here only 3 years, already I've sold hundreds of dollars' worth & barely made a dent except for the white coneflowers, which EVERYONE wanted).

It's weird. But gives some perspective. I'm guilty of thinking, "Oh, it will be beautiful tomorrow too, think I'll horse around on the computer this afternoon" ... when one of these days, I will be OUT of afternoons on this planet ...

This message was edited May 20, 2009 6:23 PM

Carnation, WA(Zone 7b)

It's not so much what I'm learning from my garden as it is the general landscape, territory, weather/wind/sun patterns. How things grow, where they are found and how they compliment or contrast in that environment is where I'm at. My garden is under "development"; perhaps will always be as I am a habitual mover/divider/rearranger. I have the need to learn about my space, the soil consistancy and the drainage 'issues' we have so that I can become better at selection and placement.

I love driving around the area to see what others have chosen and what grows naturally. Unfortunately that means that I miss the little plants and private spaces. Sometimes those are the most interesting. I am one of those people that needs to 'live' in a space to decide how best to work with it and it will take years for the work to feel complete. Progress is slow and steady here with lots of time to evaluate things as they are and as we/I would like them to be. The only thing for sure is we have lots to learn in our new space.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Lessons learned: gardens are not static; they are in constant change. Good thing the plants set roots or they might get up & relocate elsewhere. Actually, that could solve a lot of siting problems...
Spaces can be modified to suit the change in use. When i first started, the property was geared to children & dogs. The dogs remain - the children grew up & use the space differently. I added an orchard about 8 years ago. That sport court is looking like a fine, flat place for a GH. the lawn - I'll keep most of it (grass as crop = compost material), plus the walking required to mow it is great exercise.
I, like Ladybugg, needed to live in my space - experiencing the landscape prior to making changes. It is gratifying in that it satisfies my need to create 3 dimensionally.
One thing to ask yourselves is - what have you learned about YOURSELF through working the soil?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

That I love to gargen.

Port Angeles, WA(Zone 8b)

I make it a point, every morning before I leave for work and as soon as I get out of my car upon arriving home, to do a "walkabout" through my ever so slowly growing garden. It never ceases to amaze me how much changes in one short day. It's a great way to start my day and a great way to end it, like a big breath before diving under the water and the big gasp of air when you come up. The power of creation is remarkable. I'm so excited because I sowed seeds I collected from plants last year which are now germinating in the garden this year. Kind of like giving birth (but without all the hollering and stuff) ~ = D

(Judi)Portland, OR

I have learned to tolerate dirt under my nails. Lots of dirt under my nails.

I love the idea that gardens are not static. I never thought about that until I bought this house and began taking care of the garden by myself. I still find it amazing to plant a few seeds and they eventually become a lovely plant. How cool is that!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

The joy of looking at a recipe & being able to walk outside & pick most of it, including spices, FRESH out of my own kitchen garden (as a vegetarian).

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Sheri - I have been doing the same thing: starting/ending my day with a walkabout. Very relaxing, like a good, deep breath of air. Only problem is in the morning because I want to stop to deal with slugs, or chase Mr. Trespassing Rabbit that is hungry for my Heucheras & baby vegies, or notice that something needs immediate pruning &, &, & - wow!
I must commit to being focused about getting to work-work.

Port Angeles, WA(Zone 8b)

Hey Kate ~ How are you? Long time. I so agree about tending before work. I've often gotten there and noticed the dirt on my "pincher fingers," the ones I use for the weeds, or the ones used to gently shove the soil aside to check the progress of bulbs/seedlings, etc. Workwork definitely interferes with my real life! Some day...*sigh*

(Judi)Portland, OR

Summerkid, where in Oregon will you be living?

Judi and Outamygourd, I agree that starting babies by seed (especially if you have collected your own) is just amazing.

My garden has taught me that you can be organized and plan with as much detail as you like, but some of the most beautiful things in your garden (as in life) happen completely by accident.

It has also taught me that there is no better balm for a tired mind or a wounded heart than walking in the garden or playing in the dirt.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

I check in with the worms frequently - they keep me posted as long as I provide Sbux coffee grounds and compostables from the kitchen. Happy little workers!

soiled fingers: the worst is plucking spent daylily blossoms that are in the purple to dark red colour range. such a lovely stain.

Katye, when you are pulling spent daylily blossoms and spent iris blossoms, you definitely get the gist of how they developed dyes! But you are right, lovely stains!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Judi, right by you! A tiny town called Rose Lodge, on Hwy 18 just out of Lincoln City.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh summerkid lucky you for picking that spot in Oregon. Beautiful!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Wait'll you see the pix! I'm sorting through them now so as to present an organized "tour."

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Looking forward to it.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Summer, Rose Lodge is about 100 miles from Portland. Looking forward to seeing the photos! What brings you to Oregon? You will love the PNW. I feel so lucky to be living here.

Yesterday I managed to deadhead one of my lilacs but it is so big that I couldn't reach the upper parts even with a ladder. It is so old and magnificent that I can't bring myself to prune it back into a more manageable size. I'm afraid it will scream at me - or I will be punished in some way. I have a few shrubs that seem to me to have personalities and intelligence, and I love them. Bill Moyers once said "What does it mean to love a river?" so I ask you guys - what does it mean to love a plant?

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Like children - they need practical things like air, food, water, vitamins, haircuts.
The lilacs respond well to pruning, and will reward you with more flowers later. I Haircuts are beneficial! Everything wants to live, and I wish them to live well.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Amen to thoughts of loving anything.

There is a new DGer signed on from Portland, OR

This message was edited May 22, 2009 4:45 PM

(Judi)Portland, OR

Trees. Big old trees. What is it about big old trees that beg to be touched? There is one of these majestic trees in my neighborhood. I cannot pass it without putting my hands on the gnarly massive trunk. Please, tree, impart your wisdom through my finger tips. Kids run around this tree, jumping over the places where the roots have broken the sidewalk. People stop to chat in the shade of the huge branches. This tree seems to be intelligent and full of wisdom. Now, I ask you, can a tree be wise? Do you love a tree, not for the shade or fruit it gives, but for the tree itself?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I say YES, they are magestic and lovable.

In the arms of Mother Nature we can all live and grow.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2009 3:39 PM

(Judi)Portland, OR

I went out for a short walk with my dog a little while ago, and I went to the tree. As I was standing there with my hands on the big trunk I was contemplating whether or not the tree would possible impart some of her wisdom (I think it's a she tree) when my dog got close to the trunk and started to pee. Broke the spell for sure.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

LOL

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hee-hee.

Judi, After I stopped laughing about the dog part of your tale, I turned my mind to trees. We had a magical tree in our yard when I first moved to Federal Way as a child. It was a weeping willow, but not just any willow...it had a couple of sections that had either naturally or with help from the prior owner been grafted into ovals. It was a wonderous tree that inspired fun and adventure through my childhood there. Imagine what some of the very large trees have seen over their lifetime....the people that come and go, the animals that have sought shelter under their boughs or in their branches, the generations of birds and creatures that their protection has let come into being, the storms, the droughts, the changes in the countryside..... They have easily witnessed more in their life time than most people....

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I don't have any wise, philosophical inspirations to add just now, but I just want to say, I love this thread, and I love people who talk to trees!

(Judi)Portland, OR

I will go talk to the tree today - before the thunder storm arrives. I will try to remember to take my camera. Tree needs a name.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

My property and yard is ringed with forest. When the wind blows and the huge conifers sway back and forth, I see them as wise old Ents (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ent) and feel very protected. I don't need a fancy house or a view or to be close to all the latest amenities. But I couldn't possibly live in a place without trees . . .

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I was thinking the same thing about ents and wondered if Judi spoke entish when she talked to the tree.

when we moved to the farm in '59 there were two huge trees in the front yard island. Beautiful old things. Don't know when one had to be cut down. I want to say late 80's I had married and moved away in '73. Remnants of the second were still there when we were moving my folks down here in '98. Moving day was Labor Day and my brothers et al. took the truck to our place. Mom, Dad and I stayed behind to do a final clean-up and to say goodbye. As we were filling up the car we could see a storm a-brewing and coming fast so we hurried up to be in the car before it started raining. Well, the wind came first and really blew. Don't you know that the rest of that tree came crashing down as we watched. I felt like it knew that this was the end of an era and it could now rest in peace. It was kind of a good feeling, though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.