Hosta Musings 2

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Sylvia, I didn't go to the RU this year either and haven't followed the threads...sorry!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/989685/

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Choo choo train or bluegrassmom....

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

jmp, here is the hosta that was labelled 'June' . This pic was from yesterday

Thumbnail by Noreaster

This is how it looked at the end of last season. It is taller this year, with bigger leaves.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

How much sun is that in? I notice changes in mine, but not that big. Mine is in all shade.

Medford, NJ

Wow, Noreaster. What a difference from beginning to end of season. And in the first pic, seems to be different from MY "different" June, the way it is is formed and also the way the leaves sort of curl. My June's leaves are more flat.

Well, mine is in a much brighter spot now, maybe an hour a day of full sun, the rest of the day fairly bright light, not deep shade. Will have to see how it turns out, because it is still a young plant.

I moved it this year, but it was in mostly shade. Just occasional dappled sun...nothing direct. I don't think it's a true 'June', but can't really figure out what it is, or how the whole batch could have been mislabelled. The wavy quality to the leaves is new this year...last year the leaves were smaller and flat.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

That looks more like a Gold Standard to me. I don't think it's June.

Does Gold Standard have thick leaves? This one's leaves are quite thick.

My gold standard

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

I think your first pix for sure looks like my June. But I"m surprised that it is so yellow later in the year. Mine comes out more yellow and then progresses to the blue in a few weeks.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

noreaster, I'm with Ann, definately looks like gold standard to me too

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Those aren't ALL June. There's at least one June Fever in that group. And none of them look like yours.

even so, look at the variations from members…
something odd going on! hrrmmmm

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/245815/

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

My plantaginea was looking so pretty this year. It had hardly been nibbled on by slugs....just beautiful. We had storms go through last night and included hail. This what I have now. The ones in back fared a little better.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Medford, NJ

Noreaster, I'll go outside and give my Gold Standard a feel for you, see how thick the leaves are compared to June. It is in too much sun and is very yellow, and this is only it's 2nd year, so I don't know if it would be a good comparison. Besides, no batteries in the camera anyway.

eeek Nanny!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Oh Nanny! I'm so sorry about your hail damage.

I am soooo unhappy...Holy Mole

Thumbnail by nanny_56

BUT...as another testament to how great JUNE is...TA DA.... No hail damage! The couple of holes there are from bugs.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Medford, NJ

AWWW, nanny_56, that is enough to make anyone want to cry. It is still early in the season, maybe they will recover with some new fresh leaves. If it makes you feel any better, early this spring, back when all of my hostas were just eyes peeking a few inches up from underground, a herd of deer must have spent the night in the yard, nibbling on everything. And I do mean everything. Maybe one or two hosta escaped their hungry jaws. The leaves never stood a chance, for the first several weeks of summer all my hostas looked pretty bad. Now they are filling out, with lots of new whole leaves....and just waiting for the next bunch of deer to stop by for Jen's Famous Hosta Salad Bar.

I'm so sorry, nanny. Deer and hail would be two of my worst nightmares. I do have branches falling on mine, but nothing that catastrophic.

I was at a nursery a little while ago and they just happened to have a young June and a young Gold Standard sitting in pots, side by side. They were virtually indistinguishable, except that June was more gold, and GS more green. Both had narrow green margins. So I would say mine must be GS, which is too bad because it will be too big to keep, I think. I don't understand why the Plant Files say the GS leaves are of average substance, though?

That's just odd, nanny (about the June and GS)

So, i think you could probably go out and (sanitarily) cut off the worst leaves. I have read that growers often cut off leaves to force new eyes. So it couldn't hurt to trim stuff up, could it? Maybe try it on your least favorite.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

This thread is getting a bit long. Let's go to section 3 at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/997566/

Dallas, TX

... nothing ... absolutly nothing looks like June!

I am going to try that Mrs. Ed.

Off to the new thread!!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OK -- i finally got a shot of my Striptease -- its being swallowed by ferns... i will remedy that tomorrow.

Thumbnail by tcs1366

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.