Can anyone help me with this problem?

Reno, NV

I know the image isn't the best, but I am having trouble figuring out what the deal is with my Staghorn Sumac. About 2 weeks ago my 2 sumacs sprouted and started off gangbusters. But like last year, all of a sudden they started getting these 'rust' leaves that turn yellow and drop off. I know bugs can winter over, and blighted leaves can drop and perpetuate the problem, I just don't know how to treat it. I think its in the planter box in that area, because last season the hibiscus next to them did the same thing. They didn't die, they just curled the leaves and didn't thrive a whole bunch.

I treated my sumacs with Bayer Tree and Shrub Protect and Feed granular. I guess I treated it about 3 weeks ago now? Not sure how long its supposed to take, but maybe I'm not even treating the right problem?

I can post a better pic if need be, any help would be much appreciated as I hate missing a whole growing season since ours is so short here in Reno, NV!!

Thumbnail by bevoreno
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

What is your watering program? What kind of container - how big? Please tell us more...

Reno, NV

All my sumacs and hibiscus are in an elevated planter 2ft tall x 2 ft wide x 15 ft long. I water the entire yard's drip once per day for about 20 minutes. It's Reno, so things dry out pretty fast here in the wind and heat. Anyway, the rest of the yard appears to do well with the water, I only have the plants in that one area that are blighted. Although, since I originally posted this I think the Bayer is kicking in because all the new growth on the sumacs appear to be avoiding this rust issue.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Reno is a totally different place from where I live! But - The soil in the bottom of planters tends to stay wet, and with larger plants like these, it is likely that the roots are in that wet soil and rotting. Watering every day just might be the problem. You might check this out, and if necessary, replant them in new soil, after cutting away the rotten roots. Water in well, mulch well to keep the soil from drying out quickly, and then water only when they start to droop a little - from lack of water, not from too much water.

The Bayers you used is an insecticide, and this doesn't look like insect damage at all. It really does look cultural in nature.

Reno, NV

Thank you for the feedback 'ceejaytown.' I will back off my watering and see what shakes out. The Bayer is just a backup in case of bugs, but hopefully since that is now eliminated I can try and focus on the watering program.

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.