Lindera benzoin?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I ordered three little starts of a Spicebush (Lindera benzoin) and received these in the mail. There were no leaves when it arrived, and now that they're coming in I'm starting to wonder if these guys are what I ordered. Perhaps the immature leaves are significantly different than mature ones? If anyone can confirm what this is for me, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thumbnail by BellaSirius
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think you got the wrong plant--here's a pic of a younger Lindera from Plant Files and its leaves look a lot like the larger plants so I don't think this is just juvenile foliage. Could be wrong though since I've never grown these http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/107417/ Where did you order them from? If it's a reputable nursery then hopefully they will be happy to exchange them for you.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Looks more like a Viburnum to me.

Resin

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sigh. I was a goober and ordered from this company on Ebay: http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/sutton860_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

They seemed to have a decent selling record. I just sent a message to the seller...we'll see how it goes. What a bummer. I thought I'd have some spicebush plants to attract SB Swallowtails maybe by the end of the summer. I've really been babying the twigs they sent me. :(

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Not only are the leaves' shapes significantly different from Lindera, they are also oppositely arranged. Spicebush will always be alternately arranged.

I agree with Resin; you've got a dandy viburnum there, probably a little Arrowwood (Viburnum dentatum) or a close relative.

Arrowwoods are relatively easy to root from cuttings - I'd expect that these type sellers would have plenty of them. Spicebush pretty much has to be grown from seed. This is a much longer process to reach a saleable plant, thus making it much pricier.

Caveat emptor.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.