Frost advisory tonight

Shenandoah Valley, VA

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
318 AM EDT SUN MAY 17 2009
..FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 9 AM EDT MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A
FROST ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 9 AM EDT MONDAY.

HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD INTO THE APPALACHIANS TONIGHT. THE
COMBINATION OF MOSTLY CLEAR SKIES...LIGHT WINDS AND DRY AIR WILL
ALLOW TEMPERATURES TO DROP INTO THE MID 30S EARLY MONDAY MORNING.
THIS WILL ALLOW AREAS OF FROST TO FORM.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FROST ADVISORY MEANS THAT FROST IS POSSIBLE. SENSITIVE OUTDOOR
PLANTS MAY BE KILLED IF LEFT UNCOVERED

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Hart! I checked the forecast for here, and it looks like it'll be even colder on Monday night. I don't think I'll be putting out my seedlings to harden off until Tuesday! And we might have to do the in & out dance with the potted plants on the deck...

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I was just about ready to think we had dodged the late frost bullet this year and here we go. All of my peonies are getting ready to bloom. I hope it doesn't kill all the blossoms.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Same here. Water everything well tonight; I think that helps to protect them. I might try covering my peonies, too. If you see frost in the morning, you can also go out before the sun hits the plants and rinse them down with a spray from the hose... I've saved plants that way.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

That's a good tip about the morning. I don't think they need watering. It rained here almost all evening and night last night.

I don't think I have enough old sheets to cover all my peonies. I'll have to see what I can scratch up.

Finally tracked down what areas are included in the advisory. For Virginia:

Freeze Warning for:
Bath
Highland

Frost Advisory for:
Alleghany
Augusta
Clarke
Frederick
Page
Rockingham
Shenandoah
Warren

Maryland:

Freeze Warning for:
Central And Eastern Allegany
Western Allegany

Frost Advisory for:
Washington

Pennsylvania:

Special Weather Alertsback to top
Freeze Warning for:
Allegheny
Armstrong
Beaver
Bradford
Butler
Cambria
Cameron
Clarion
Clearfield
Crawford
Elk
Fayette
Forest
Greene
Indiana
Jefferson
Lackawanna
Lawrence
Luzerne
Mckean
Mercer
Northern Centre
Northern Clinton
Northern Lycoming
Pike
Potter
Somerset
Southern Erie
Southern Wayne
Sullivan
Susquehanna
Tioga
Venango
Warren
Washington
Wayne
Westmoreland
Wyoming

Frost Advisory for:
Bedford
Blair
Columbia
Cumberland
Dauphin
Franklin
Fulton
Huntingdon
Juniata
Lebanon
Mifflin
Montour
Northern Erie
Northumberland
Perry
Schuylkill
Snyder
Southern Centre
Southern Clinton
Southern Lycoming
Union

W. Va.:

Freeze Warning for:
Brooke
Eastern Grant
Eastern Mineral
Greenbrier
Hancock
Marion
Marshall
Monongalia
Ohio
Pendleton
Pocahontas
Preston
Randolph
Western Grant
Western Mineral
Wetzel

Frost Advisory for:
Barbour
Berkeley
Braxton
Calhoun
Clay
Doddridge
Fayette
Gilmer
Hampshire
Hardy
Harrison
Jackson
Jefferson
Lewis
Mason
Monroe
Morgan
Nicholas
Pleasants
Raleigh
Ritchie
Roane
Summers
Taylor
Tyler
Upshur
Webster
Wirt
Wood

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Bumping this in case anyone doesn't know about it.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Well Thank you Hart. I sure don't have the room or the sheets to protect these babies and annuals!!! If your chart is right, it's missing me. I did bring the seedlings from the swap in though.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Another frost warning tonight. Luckily we didn't get any last night so I hope we'll be lucky again tonight.

(Zone 7a)

For future reference - http://www.nws.noaa.gov/

Shenandoah Valley, VA

It's easier to just go to weather.com and sign up for advisories to be sent to you by email. It's the same weather service advisories but for your zip code and you don't have to search for them.

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/alerts/national/severeWxAlertsNational.html?cm_ven=MKTG&cm_cat=HousePromo&cm_pla=globnav&cm_ite=alerts&from=gn_six_welcome

Or you can download one of their widgets or gadgets.

(Zone 7a)

Thanks, hart - nice to have more than one weather source. NOAA works fine for me

Shenandoah Valley, VA

What weather.com sends are the advisories from the national weather service. It's just a more convenient way to get them.

I would strongly suggest all to take heed to this warning! For this time of year we should all be out of a frost warning but not this year!

Rachel

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

34 here this morning and the grass is white..I will be spraying water on plants this morning.....Wonder is there is sush a thing as doing that to early?????

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I moved my plants in last night that hadn't been planted yet. and put newspapers on the ones that already had been planted. Everything survived and I'm not sure we really did get a frost last night. We "NEVER" have frost this late. What a crazy spring it has been, with all the rain and colder weather than usual.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I moved or covered things the last two nights too but I don't think we quite had frost. Oh, well, I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's not unusual here to have frost in May and our spring weather is always crazy - warm and then cold and then warm again and lots of rain. A few years ago we had a bad freeze on June 5, but that was unusual.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I didn't do anything to the plants, since they have been outside for over a month and already been through a near frost I decided to take my chances - it worked...

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Actually, I was wrong. We did get a touch of frost last night. My grape vines got nipped a bit and I see a few other things further up in the yard that had the tips nipped. Nothing really damaged much.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.