Japanese Morning Glory Hybrids

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

This one is a double pink. I selectively bred this one myself and it took 2 years to get it.

Thumbnail by gardener2005

A double with lime green foliage.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Those are beautiful! Do they come true from seeds? I've been growing some Japanese Morning Glories called "Star of India" and "Wind in the Pines." I really enjoyed them last year. Since I am always at work in the mornings, I'd pick buds and put them in a small container of water. They opened up everyday while I was at work. They're awesome!

I will have to do further research to find out if they come true or not. They are experimental at this stage and "not finished yet." Thanks for the compliments. :)

Another today and Yes it is yellow with spots. :)

That's a beauty! You should definitely keep that one!

Thank you! Yes, this one will be kept for further evaluation.

If you get one nice like that, do you root cuttings of it to have more? Just curious.

These are tricky because of the way they are annuals propogated through seeds. I`m pretty sure the spots will be true from seeds,the color could turn out another dusky purple with yellow or even chocolate speckled and God only knows until I begin to work with it what will turn up. I have to gather seeds and grow again to see what happens. Then it`s more observing and pictures... and maybe by the 4th ot 5 th generation and 2-3 years some acceptable stability could possibly be found and enough selection to have chosen the best examples of the look desired. I think that is why it is fun to work with these. Karen

Cool. You can root cuttings of these though. Would it help to have some just in case the original dies? You could also use the cuttings to back cross and it would give you more time if you kept the original going?

Thank you. I will try that. Karen

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

Karen,

Your yellow speckled flower reminded me of some reading I did in the past about how they tried to create a yellow flowered JMG from those yellowish tinted backgrounds seen in the speckled phenotype. Yours looks very yellow!

I like your progress in petaloid large flowers also! - Arlan

szarvas, Hungary

Really Karen , it's new faces types JMG ! Good job !

How many different cultivar do you have ?

Dany

Hi Arlan and Dany,

These aren`t new cultivars. They are experimental. Arlan the speckled flowers show some with more and less speckles. I imagine the Japanese chose the yellow background and then began to select for fewer spots?

You can make your own too. This isn`t some mysterious thing only experts or only certain people can do.

Karen

Here`s another hybrid I did nick named Light Blue Speckly. I`m sure Snow Cloud or something like that would seem more glamorous but I don`t know if it will produce consistent seeds until I test grow it.

I like that one too!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Just spectacular one and all!!

szarvas, Hungary

Very beautiful flower !
What was the parents ?

It really look like the " First Frost " series from Japan ( 4 different types )

I grow this year, waiting for the first bloom !
Here is a pic of First Frost Japan

Thumbnail by dany12
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

That's nice dany!!

Hi Dany and luvs,

The First Frost series is beautiful. What are the four types?

Like I have said before I`m positive I have zero chance of coming up with something the Japanese don`t have already. I just don`t have a way to snag the seeds that easily and I`m stuck here in America. I think mine are just as "real" as theirs though because I`m using the same plants. Also, I`m doing this for fun. This one is a F2 selection from a cross with fujishibori x kikyo ice. Kikyo Ice is a F2 selection from youjiro x double blue kikyo.

So, that is the pedigree. These could potentially throw kikyo star shaped flowers,variegated leaves,light lime green leaves and more or less spots to name a few possibilities.

szarvas, Hungary

It depend of the density of the speckes.
The dark First frost

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

to the limpid First Frost

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

Karen, what an imagination you have to mix those 2 cultivars , did you know where you go ?

Other type of First Frost !!!

Thumbnail by dany12

The first thing I wanted to know is if I mess it up totally... would the spots come back? Yes, the spots come back about 1 in every 10 of the F2. Now I want the fertility and cold hardiness of the mother vine being a youjiro and the spots comes from the Fujishibori. All that trouble just for kicks. yes! :)

I think the bars of color are not predictable. They might be something spontaneous.

These two are brothers from the same litter. These two are from the Fujishibori x double blue F2 and has potential to throw doubles.

Here is another one today.

Your last one is very pretty. I bet these are fun to work with.

Thanks. Yes, they are fun. Lots of variety like designer flowers.

More pretty ones showing me and my plant tag. I did this myself just for fun and also to study the genetics and answer questions for myself. It is not rocket science. This is also a way to create new colors and forms for interest in the garden. This is a hobby.

The speckled blue ones will come pretty much true to self provided there isn`t potential to throw pink or a different shade. The speckles will breed true.

Here is a interesting speckled 1/2 speckled and 1/2 solid dark pink. I think the bars of color like this occurs spontaneously in these flowers.

szarvas, Hungary

This Half and Half is perfect Karen !

szarvas, Hungary

The little speckled MG seeds on your site will produce such a beautiful bloom ?

Hi Dany,

That 1/2 and 1/2 flower is one of the speckled mix that was gathered from what was supposed to be Fujishibori. The pink speckled ones were not expected so it is obviously a speckled mix. Most all of the purple and red specked ones can do this. I suppose you could mark the vine and grow again to see if it will happen again. I have seen vines sport a different color stem and go completely divided color on just one stem while the rest of the vine was normal speckled. This is a phenomenon seen in the large flowered morning glories(however these flowers seemed small to be large flower) and it is spontaneous and occurs when least suspected sometimes. Sometimes a purple large flower will have a bar of blue.

Karen

Here is another weird one from yesterday morning.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

WOW!!!

szarvas, Hungary

This broken colour is bizarre ! -J'adore - I love it .

Karen you have there a gene who has a big futur , even in Kyushu University publications , I never see something like that !

I hope, later a could get some seeds !

From Japan I only find this one - but mutant leaf type are not realy esthetic .

Thumbnail by dany12
Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Dany,

...but mutant leaf type are not really esthetic."

You can say that again. Now I wonder if that broken color is due to a virus, rather than a "gene". I know that the striped tulips are simply suffering from a virus. And the leaves on that morning glory look like they have some serious kind of virus. I guess, when it comes to morning glories, one person's defect is another person's "feature". I have seen a lot of Japanese Morning Glories that I like but, to me, a lot of them just look like they have something wrong with them.

ZM

I doubt the broken color is a virus. It appears in nearly all the large flowered I have seen at some point or another and the plants are apparently very healthy,productive and beautiful. My specklys are a result of crosses with large flowered varieties and so the occasional broken color will be seen and it is genetic but just not predictable in a sense that one can produce it reliably. This is normal and nothing to worry about.

The thing is when a person sees a strip of blue in a purple flower which is very.very common it isn`t so noticable but with a strip of background color revealed in a speckled flower that also has decolored crest and a gene for white ray and a white margin it gets more attention. The variegation in japanese morning glories is genetic also.

Karen

This message was edited Jun 15, 2009 3:45 PM

Here is one that showed up in the kikyo double x kikyo ten ten F2 and has little spots. It looks almost edible like those sugar paste flower on cakes.

I also found a gray small round flower. pretty cool. I put a really white one next to it for comparison.

Karen

Edit:
it is a round flower

This message was edited Jun 15, 2009 6:52 PM

That little gray one may have potential to throw a kikyo in the seeds. The photo does the color no justice. It appears almost ghost like.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.