Primo Jan Blackberries

Edinboro, PA(Zone 5b)

I fell for a great catalog blurb last year and bought a few plants of the new primo-cane fruiting blackberries, Primo Jan and Primo [something male...can't remember the name right now]. They are said to grow a cane which flowers and bears the same year. In this way, possibly delicious berries are to be had even if you live in zone 5 or colder and the canes freeze to the ground. Well, they took off like mad and are very healthy. However, they sucker alarmingly, like a raspberry. The first berries barely ripened before hard frost in October last year. I don't know. I'll trellis them carefully this year, keep them fed, and hope for the best. Does anyone here have experience with these berries? Any advice? I live in zone 5 NW Pennsylvania. Thanks! Brian

Camanche, IA(Zone 5a)

bbhow; Hi, I don't have any of the Primo's that you have. I was interested at one time to get some. I think you would check with Stark Bros. They sell them. Sorry I am no help! phil

New Iberia, LA

Brian
I am far from an expert on blackberries but I have recently gotten interested in growing them instead of picking wild blackberries. The Prime Jan from what I have read may have difficulty producing in Zone 5, but is promoted as producing berries on first year growth. Do you have wild blackberries in your area? Here is an interesting article about the Prime Jan.
Oldude
http://www.aragriculture.org/horticulture/fruits_nuts/Blackberries/prime_jan.htm

Edinboro, PA(Zone 5b)

oldude,

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. Folks around here [nw PA] often call black raspberries blackberries. I have yet to see a single example of what we in the West call blackberries, but am open to possibilities. I intend to protect the canes this next winter--how, I am not sure at this juncture--and will hope for the best. I can't express how much I miss the flavor of the blackberries and boysenberries of my childhood in California. The grass is always greener...

Brian in NW Pennsylvania

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.