Allotment tales 2009

london England, United Kingdom

Hi Sue, Yes good idea, you put your feet up and rest for a bit!
The Red hot pokers flower from now really, early summer. I found another one, (which hasn't been eaten but it's still green maybe I should cut it now and hopefully it will open in a vase, whatdathink? a loner poker!!

Here's how the lottie looks today...

Thumbnail by terriculture

The potatoes have grown!

Here they are earthed up....

I managed to weed half the bed on the left. The rains have been good for the weeds!

Lettuce in the green tunnel is growing well at the top.
Courgettes, and Sweetcorn are doing well. No evidence of slugs so far!

Oh a visitor!!!

Where are you going cat? lol.

The chives have finished flowering. There are lots of strawberrys ready to pck.

Pot marigolds seeding themselves here.

Mmmmm nice! help yourself!

Lots more Carnations, they smell sooooo lovely.

Black cornflower... not quite black!!

Knautia and freebee!

Nicotiana, this smells lovely in the evenings.

I'm pleased with the flower garden area this year.

See ya!

Bought a few more plants..

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Great lottie shots, Terri. It is looking so grand - no wonder you got a visitor. You got catnip in there for him/her? I love your carnations. I have tried growing them for years, but with no success. Yours are so full and healthy.

Thanks Dianne! I don't have any catnip. There seems to be 3 lottie cats that wander around, as long as they don't leave me any presents, I don't mind!
The Carnations have really come on since last year. I'll cut some when I go back tomorrow and bring them to your yard to vase thread. Wonder what vase I should use?

Coffs Harbour, Australia

WOW Terri, the lottie looks great! Its so neat and tidy and very productive! I can't believe how much it has improved on last year! It must be the help you got from the family that one time! he he.
I don't know how the red hot poker will go if you cut it immature. Maybe I should cut one of mine and let you know? Because I have more than you, so one sacrifice would be ok.
We had our bonfire last night. It was lovely and warm. A couple of neighbours came over, but it ended up an early night because everyone was tired after a busy day doing whatever they do. I'll have to start building the next one now!
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Hey Sue Happy Birthday, what a great bonfire, hope you got a bit tipsy and danced the night away with friends and family.
Terri, I must say that you lottie looks fabulous, such an improvement over last year. Everything is so healthy and perfect, what a great job you have done.
Nicotiana - I had one of those one year and remember how grand it smelled, that was then and it never thrived here. As for the red hots I bought some of the giant ones to try for this season and so far they seem to be growing well, no sign of posies on them, but was inspired having seen Sues in the past.

Hi Sue and Candee, Thanks, the hard work has finally paid off, but it's a matter of keeping up with it and not letting it get out of hand with weeds etc.
Looks like a huge bonfire Sue, glad you had a good night and weekend? Happy Birthday!!!! another year wiser, have a good one.
The Nicotiana are annuals here too Candee, just wanted to have some this year!
They had a plant sale at the lottie, Tony gave me quite a few leftovers, he said I had been a good customer this year... lol.

Well Sue and Dianne have the best Red Hot Pokers I've ever seen! Hope your giants do well Candee.
This is the Poker I found in the dark undergrowth!! My only one lol. I'm so tempted to cut it, worried if I don't the slugs will have it. Not sure if it will change colour if I do.

Man at work!!

Had a frog visitor this time...

Ribbet!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Looks like you have quite the happy helper! I tried to keep the nicotinia over winter but it croaked inside. I say pick the poker sounds like it will last longer inside than out and you can always spray it gold when finished! I plan to do that soon with my foxtail lilies.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Nice frog Tez! Is that what happened when you kissed than man in your garden? You'd better kiss it quick and change it back! He He
Sue

LoL, he's turned into a grumpy old toad tonight!

The compost bins are gone, a fresh new patch to plant my Giant sunflowers in!
I used some old window boxes, filled them with love in the mist, to define the border with my neighbour's plot.

There's so much more space!

My neighbour is a nice lady called Jenny. This is Jenny's garden area with flowers.
Love in the mist in the foreground are my pots and boxes.

Lovely lilies Jenny has! We had a laugh about the nasty letters we used to get to tidy up our plots!
We are both happy this year NO letters!!!!

My Amaranthus is coming on well. After the thunderstorm yesterday, I thought I might find some plant damage but everything looks ok. Infact it was the best watering the plot has ever had. LoL!

ooooooohhhh a baby cauiflower is here!

Happy to see it, I'm skipping away until next time.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Oh that newbie baby is a cutie, perhaps we will get some of our own! So nice you got no letter this year, no wonder it is just so much improved from last year it is like you got a makeover. It is beautiful and you can be very proud of your hard work and results. Look at all the space you have gained, you won't have to shop at the market this season, you can set up a fruit stand of your own.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I can't believe they would send you a letter. I thought the lottie was good last year too, just better again this year! Nice new cauli, and yes, so much room. i can just see your sunflowers swaying in the breeze! Jenny has got fabulous liliums! I wish I could grow them like that!
Its so neat and tidy now, I bet you go there and can't find anything to do! he he
Sue

Haslemere, United Kingdom

Lovely plot Terri!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Oh you funny, funny girl! Now flowrtips is that all you can say, please thought you would have raved so much more, look at all she has accomplished!

Thanks flowertips!

Don't know what you mean Candee.... LoL!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

right!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.