who can explain in everyday words the difference in spuria

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

and louisianna's and pseudocorus and whatever other kinds of iris that there are? i could go read it but i wish somone would just 'splain it to me. yes i'm lazy but maybe you like to talk.
a win/win situation it looks to me like. lol.

South Hamilton, MA

The ones you mention are beaqrdless iris. Bearded iris have a fuzzy structure on the falls. Louisana are a combination of 4 species native to the southern US. I. pseudocorus is an Euopean species which clogs waterways here, usually is yellow.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'll give it a shot.

All the ones you mentioned, as IrisMA said are beardless. They all have rhizomes, none are bulbs.

Spuria look like Dutch Irises. They can be from very short to very tall, 5" to 5'. They come in shades of blue, yellow, white, brown and lavender. Blooms last quite awhile, up to a month. They are native to Europe and the Far East.

Here's a spuria from Dees website.

http://www.snowpeakiris.com/newweb/images/spuria/adriaticblue08.jpg

Pseudacorus is commonly know as yellow flag. They are yellow. Native to Europe and Africa, they are tall, about 4 feet. As has been said many times, they are considered invasive in many states.

Here's a picture of pseudacorus.

http://www.missouriplants.com/Yellowalt/Iris_pseudacorus_page.html

Louisiana irises are native to the US, growing wild from the Mississippi River Delta to Ohio. They come in colors of blue, lavender, yellow, white, pink, and orange red. Each flower lasts about three days. Their height is from about one foot to six feet.

Here's a picture of a Louisiana.

http://www.soulofthegarden.com/Images/April04LouisianaIris.jpg

Clear as mud?

South Hamilton, MA

Good for you,Polly.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

but don't some spuria look like louisianas? or vice versa? i have a white flower and now a yellow flower that i don't know what is. the yellow one doesn't have that little spot beneath where a tb beard would be that shows on that pseudocorus picture. i really have to learn to use a camera.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

The louisiana look cute. They grow in OH? How hardy are they?

South Hamilton, MA

We can grow them here. It does depend on the cultivar.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Any you want to share?

South Hamilton, MA

We can grow them, just don't any more--too busy with seedlings as you know. celtics won so will get a decent night's sleep.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

No the spurias don't look like Louisianas. The signal, I think that's what you're referring to, is more pronounced on some Louisianas then others. Spurias don't have a prominent signal. A picture would help, LOL. If your white or yellow iris doesn't have the signal, it's not a pseudacorus.

Jumper2, Louisianas are pretty hardy. Many of them are hardy to Z5, possibly Z4. They are lovely.

This message was edited May 12, 2009 11:10 PM

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

would pseudocorus grow in hot, dry texas without summer water? because these yellow iris are established but she never waters them. and yes....signal....that's the word. see why i need yall.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

They might survive. I would be suprised if they would thrive. Spurias need a lot of water to get established, once they do they are pretty drought tolerant. Louisianas and pseudacorus normally need a lot of water. Both are native to wetlands. Spurias are not.

So nice to be needed, LOL.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

sounds like i need to invest in some spuris iris. who sells them?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Snowpeak has a nice selection.

http://www.snowpeakiris.com/

Aitkens also carries them. I'm not familiar with who else does, as I don't have any, but I will be trying some too.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

that 2nd one on denise's page named archie something looks similar to my iris. and my lady got her start from an old house place in rockwall. where did spuria come from?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Origionally? Europe to the Far East. Many are native to Turkey. The first one introduced as far as I know was in England.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks Polly, I may have to try some.

IrisMA, I'm glad they won and you got some sleep. They don't get much of a rest though.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

irisma...... it looks like you are one of the local iris experts, is that right? do you hybridize? why do you know so much? hahahaha

Lebanon, OR

irisMA, is a hybridizer as well as her husband and they are both wonderful people, freely giving advise and help at all turns.

D

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

oh....and there's another one. yall are so smart. i need to buy some plants from you. when does the sale start? do i need to host a co-op? lol.

South Hamilton, MA

We mainly work with the smaller irises, this year between Dr. & dental appointments. Why do they want to schedule things in iris season?

Lebanon, OR

They always schedule all appointments during the bloom. I finally have my doctors educated big time...except if sick.

LOL
D

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

IrisMa sometimes uses me as a test garden. Most of my irises come from her. They are either theirs or some she thinks I might like. She hasn't been wrong yet.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

IrisMA's husband John intro'd my favorite little iris, Suslik.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/versicolor/3412838905/

They are both hybridizers, Lucy and John Burton.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

wow!! what a beard!! is that a sdb?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'll let Lucy tell you all about it. And what it's named after is cute.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

iris pumila. what?!!!!!!!!!!! another kind? it's a miniature dwarf, isn't it?

South Hamilton, MA

I. pumila is a mountain species from central Europe. The seeds which produced 'Suslik' came from the Caucasus. Named after a rapidly reproducing marmaset, sort of a big ground squirrel (and we worry about chipmunks). Robert Schreiner imported pumila seeds in the 1950s. They produced a smaller iris when crossed with tall bearded irises which turned into the standard dwarf class. Pumila are very small as a rule, 'Suslik' being 4". Will tell J. about his change of name.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Opening a whole new world for you here?

Iris pumila is a minature dwarf. It's a very diverse species that is a tetraploid from a natural hybrid of iris attica and iris pseudopumila (to the best of researchers knowledge). Singular flowers are usually yellow or purple. Color of beards also vary. Usually fragrant. Pumila has been used extensively in breeding modern dwarf irises.

Lucy will tell you more. That's what they specialize in, I think.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

we can't grow miniatures down here i don't think. 4 inches!! how sweet and with that big 'ol beard. it's all beard.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Oops, sorry, Lucy, we cross posted.

I noticed before on that site his name was listed as Tom. There aren't very many pictures out there of Suslik, and none in plant files. We need to fix that. It's such a lovely little thing. And those beards....

South Hamilton, MA

There was a thread with pumila pictures this spring, educational to us as we had never seen yellow flowers with Suslik as a parent. all known ones, ours & SIGNA seeds had all been purple. It was nice to find out about the yellow ones. Pumilas can also be violet, white or blue. One was posted which had cream standards & bluish falls. Amazing information.

South Hamilton, MA

It is a better picture than any which we have.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, I'll just have to see if i can get a picture for plant files, then.

Most of my info comes from Irises by Claire Austin. I always hope she's right, as I don't know any better otherwise. I am fascinated by the bearded species, as you know, and am trying to learn all I can about them. I love the beardless species too.

South Hamilton, MA

Prodan (aphylla) has opened. Picture still in the camera, we still use film. If it didn't come out, will try again.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Can't wait to see it. Did I see a picture of it once on Iris Colorado?

South Hamilton, MA

I don't know. Remember I am new to computers.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

How di Dad take his name change? I hadn't seen that one before(pumila) It's very striking.

South Hamilton, MA

Sort of hummphed--you know how he is. The site said that it had been viewed 80 times which interested. Didn't think that something so small would do in your garden, that's why we never sent the pumilas. After all with not much space, you want something to show like 'Margaret'.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Too true. I found her under the grass today! Thought you'd like to know.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.