It's almost time for fall seedlings what are YOU planting?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

My plant out date for my fall seedlings is Jul 15 (I'll plant on the 18th since that date falls on a weekend) I've pulled out all my seeds and trying to make a list of what to plant so I can go ahead and make my markers etc. I'm doing a few new things this season, 1) using Bob's seed starting tray and 2) I'm using small grow bags to pot up. Using the grow bags is going to be a HUGE time saver for me and I can't wait to see how well they do.

Sooo what are you going to plant for fall?

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Fall-? Up here we are still waiting to begin our Spring planting!!! A few years ago when we lived in FL, we always stopped at the rest stop in Orange on our way to visit the kids in Houston- I loved walking out on the long ramps to see what wildlife was lurking out there!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO on time, here! I'll finally get to hook up with someone who's planting on the same time schedule I propose. I'll get home and pull out my seeds too, and give you a report tomorrow! I have Bob's seed starting tray, and enough core and the 10-growbag expansion system still in the box, so I guess I'll pull em out for just the maters. Plan on doing most all of the brassicas again too, since I had much first-time success last fall -- although, I planted seedlings Thanksgiving week and harvested almost 2 months after most of the Houston gardeners.

I was hoping to plant out EVERYTHING starting September 15th, and stagger plant every 2-3 weeks until I run outta space, seedlings, or I hit December 1st. Then, I'll sit back and watch what happens. But, looking at your schedule, I'd better get going on sowing those tomato seeds this weekend, too!

Linda

Thanks, again, Araness!

Lemme go mark this thread!

Quincy, FL(Zone 8b)

i don't understand starting seeds for Fall planting right now, it's only May....it seems the seeds will germ quick in this warm weather and then be subjected to really hot weather before Fall.....please explain this to me....oh, unless you are starting the seeds indoors I guess, but dang, i already got enough to take care of !!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We're going to try to grow more things from seed for the fall. Guess I need to get busy shopping! LOL

(Zone 7b)

Saint, when do you plan on starting seeds?

Me, I haven't even given varieties much thought yet. Probably mostly cherries, saladettes, a Momotaro or two, stuff like that. 10-15 plants at most.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I'll start seeds no later than the 15th or 18th, and Angie I 90% of my seeds indoors. I'll have about 20 tomato plants, some cucumbers, lettuce, beans, peas but still have a few open slots and not sure what to plant...we ate our first tomato yesterday and as ya'll know first fruit isn't always the best but it sure beat what I can get in the store.

Quincy, FL(Zone 8b)

i have many blooms on my mater plants but this heat is making them drop....

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

our night temps are still very nice so we are still setting fruit like crazy, if things continue I'll have my best year yet production wise.

Glendale/Parks, AZ

I am planting Crimson Sprinter, Oregon Spring and Santiam for tomatoes because they set on in cooler weather. In addition, I am starting cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce and peas. I will also grow onions, spinach, chard, and beets but nothing can go in here until September.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I think my final list is as follows:
Chocolate Stripe
Schwarze Sarah
Black Cherry
Black Zebra
Raul Robeson
Neves Azoran Red
Abraham Lincoln (Reg)
Blue Fruit
Wisconsin 55
Momotaro
Black Krim
Eva Purple Ball
Sioux
Rowdy Red
Amazon Chocolate
Beauty
Atkinson
Chapman
Cherokee Purple
Royal Hillbilly
Box Car Willie
Mule Team

(three of these are "standby" plants as several listed I'm growing for the first time this season and if I don't like them I can always sub a tried and true such as BCW or Mule Team.

Lettuce - Black Seeded Simpson
Brussel Sprouts - Jade
Pea (English) - Sugar Spirit and Green Arrow
Beans (bush) - Nash & Blue Lake
Cucumbers - Sugar Crunch
Peppers (from spring)
Corn - Avalon
Zucchini (if I can find a variety that doesn't get huge)

Araness, What are your night temps running right now? Seems we went from 60 to 90 degrees in 6 days flat! Our days are averaging 85 and the nights are around 70-75. Hot and sticky.

Steph, you and me both! I've been pouring through seed catalogs, too. About to place my order in the next few days. Have never started seeds before for anything other than tomatoes and okra, so this will be a challenge.

I want to start seeds for all the cole crop: cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, turnips, beets, carrots, spinach, romaine lettuce, and my mustard & collard greens. I love butternut and acorn squashes, but I'm not sure how to proceed with those yet, and I may run outta space, since I have a newly poured concrete garden (don't ask -- it was supposed to be prime cole crop space for the fall....).

Since we're all moving forward together it seems, might I suggest we start a list of the seeds we're gonna order/varieties we're gonna plant for our Zone 8b-9a Fall Garden? I know I'm not gonna use all that I order cause I don't have that much space. So maybe we could swap some of the new seeds we order.

Lemme know what ya'll think?

Linda

STEPH: I've been trying to grow a Momotoro forever. If you've got a few seeds, I'd sure appreciate getting them. LMK!

Now will you just look at that? Great minds thinking alike!!!!!

Please don't think I'm a double-minded girl with those multiple posts above!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

right now daytime is in the mid to high 80's and lows around the low 70's. So far the plants are loaded down and we will be eating tomatoes daily in the next week or so.

Saint, no broccoli or cauliflower? How about winter squashes? I'll have 9 EBs, 10 Bocabags, 12 eBuckets, and my bean trellis bed to plant in. BTW, Is it too late to put down a few okra seeds and some purple hill peas?

Quincy, FL(Zone 8b)

well i just don't know why the blossoms are drying up...our temps are the same...i've been shakin' the blooms every chance i get...

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

not a fan of winter squash, as far as the okra you have until mid july to plant that and the peas about another week or so before you might be pushing it. For my beans to save time I put them in a wet jiffy pellet and put them on the heat mat, for transplant I just planted the entire thing so no root shock and it germinated a bit faster than it would have outside. As for the broccoli or cauliflower since I only have one or two EB's to spare I'd rather (for yield purposes) plant sprouts. We've just run out of room unless I make another bed along one of the fences and not sure Serg is willing to put the effort into it this season. Since I'm only going to buy 2 or 3 more EB's total we are going to have to do something to find a place for those.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

are these the first blooms? Because as a general rule my first blooms never really pollinate I wait until the second set which is about a week or 10 days later

Thanks, Araness. I've had my purple hulls soaking for 2 days and I'll put them in this evening!

Need a little logistical planting advice, if you don't mind. I'm truly concentrating on the fall stuff and trying to get prepared on time this time. I'll have all the EBs, planters and beds above available. So far I've got tomatoes in 5 EBs, eggplants in 3 buckets and 5 Contender green bean plants in the trellis bed. I'll plant the purple hulls today and fill out the remainder of the trellis bed. Last time I grew the broccoli, cauliflower, and 1 of 2 cabbages in eBuckets (one in a 24" planter). The mustards and collards were in the 5 EBs and cranked out like a steam engine.

My concern is that it'll be time to plant the fall stuff and I'll not have containers 'cause something else is growing there! I've got the EBs down pat cause come June 15th the maters are getting ripped out. Will the eggplants be done by the end of July? How about the cowpeas in the trellis bed (where I planted the turnips, carrots and lettuce last time)?

I am getting so tired of being BEHIND the schedule....

Anything you offer will be appreciated.

Linda

Lake Elsinore, CA

OH my! I thought I'd start my seeds in seed trays in July. It's up to 116 in the shade here in July and 100 to 108 in the shade is pretty normal for August as well.

I'm in 9a or 9b zone in CA. Sooo... what to do?

If I plant things out then, they'll what? Croak in the heat?

I figured I'd plant the new tom seeds in July and the plants would be ready to go out like September 1.

I've just now got tomatoes setting like crazy and probably some 4th of Julys getting ready to pick pretty soon.

I'm so darned confused. It's about 85 during the day here now and gets down to 52 to 58 at night. My climate is really crazy here.

Where're ya'll ordering seeds from for the fall?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

So far, for fall, we're going to grow:

Tomatoes
Beans
Peas
Lettuces
Carrots
Garlic
Maybe some of the root veggies
Cabbage (maybe)
Broccoli
Taters (maybe)
Corn

Stephanie

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I've ordered from TGS, Parks, Burpee's and humm..someplace else but can't remember

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

What is TGS?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Tomato Growers Supply

ok, what's the update on this thread? Who's planting what soon, and when?

I pruned awful looking tomato plants yesterday. Will try to salvage the few tomatoes on the vines. Getting eBuckets cleaned and ready for planting.

Lemme know where I should be in the schedule!

P.S. Saint, I got the chart. It's great (like mine).

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Is it possible to plant tomato seeds for fall growing? Everywhere I've read for my area says to plant transplants. I know I can chop the tops off of my current tomato plants once they're finished producing and they'll root fine, but not sure about planting tomato seeds. Otherwise, I plan on ordering seeds this week.

Stephanie,
I've done the rooting thing before. If my present crop was healthy, I'd take cuttings and do that. I do have some seedlings I'm nursing along that should be just the right size to plant out toward the end of the summer heat. Hopefully, the timing will be just right for them to take off into the cool and set fruit. I can't do much worse than my present crop...

Ok, I just ordered some tomato seeds from TGS. all new varieties for me except the Eva. I'm getting Florida High Bush Eggplant (a hybrid); and for tomatoes, Russian Rose, Sioux, Costoluto Genovese, and Gregori's Altai. I'm growing the CG now, but production is minimum. But, I've managed to get a taste of the tomato, and if I can grow a FULLsize one, I'm sure I'll like it. Also growing Gregori's Altai now, but nothing yet to taste.

bump. I'm keeping this thread alive!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Okay, I placed my orders today. This is what we have coming. Where I'm going to find the time and place to start all of these things is yet to be determined! LOL So far, everything's heirlooms. We'll plant some in the fall and then more in the early spring.

Tomatoes (ordered with DH's help)~
Rutgers
Amish Paste
Brandywine
Blondkopfchen (yellow cherry)
Box Car Willie
Chalk's Early Jewel
Cherokee Purple
Cherrygal Cherry (we'll see if it reseeds itself down here!)
Eva's Purple Ball
Italian
Mortgage Lifter
Ponderosa Red
Sioux
Zuckerklumpen
Sweet Pea
Black Cherry

Lettuces (again, ordered with DH's help)~
Parris Island
Black Seeded Simpson
Red Rapids
Tango
Buttercrunch
Craquerelle Du Midi
Grandpa Admire's
Lollo Rossa
Kentucky Limestone

Cukes~
Lemon
White Wonder
Miniature White
Straight Eight

Carrots~Imperator 58, Little Fingers, James Scarlet, Danvers Half Long
Cabbage~January King
Peas~Tom Thumb
Radish~Early Scarlet Globe
Pumpkin~Small Sugar
Peppers (Sweet)~Mini Bells, Bullnose
Spinach-Monnopa

We may fill in with a few odds & ends, too. We'll also plant beans, depending on how our harvest goes from the spring plants.

Steph,
Who'd you order from? I'm finalizing this Baker Creek Heirlooms list for my cole crop:
Broccoli - Calabrese Green Sprouting
Brussels Sprouts - Catskill
Beets - Bull's Blood and Chioggia (Bassano)
Cauliflower - Giant of Naples
Cabbage - Mammoth Red Rock
CR - Tonda di parigi
Eggplant - Ukrainian Beauty
Lettuce - De Morges Braun (Romaine)
Collard Greens - Georgia southern (Creole)
Mustard Greens - Southern Giant Curled
Swiss Chard - Five Color Silverbeet (Rainbow)
Squash - White Acorn
Squash - Upper Ground Sweet POtato
Turnips - Purple Top White Globe
Tomato - Cherokee Purple

Linda

Plano, TX

please explain about using a tomato plant branch to root for fall--just stick in ground to root? root in water? when to do?
if you want fall tomatoes from outdoor seeds when do you start them?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Linda, once your maters have quit producing AND they're still nice and healthy, clip the top part of the stem about 3" or so from the top. Trim off any side leaves and stick in the ground or a pot with nice healthy soil and compost. Water and it should root for you.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Gymgirl (Linda also?)~I ordered from Cherry Gal and Victory Seed. Baker was out of some of the things I wanted, so I went with Victory. Cherry Gal offers smaller packets of seed which will work better for me.

Cool, Steph!

Thanks for the Cherry Gal tip. I, too, only need a small packet of seeds! When are you sowing your seeds?

According to my calendar, sowing this Saturday would give us:
10 weeks to an August 1 plant out
12 weeks to an August 15th plantout
15 weeks to a September 5th plantout.
11 weeks to a September 19th plantout.

This message was edited May 21, 2009 10:20 AM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I have to wait until I get the seeds to sow them! LOL I need to check planting dates to figure out when I should plant seeds. I also need to get a sterile potting medium or some peat pellets.

Steph,
Have you considered using Bocabob's coco coir? Go see the "Any Coco Coir Questions" on the Self-Contained Veggie Gardens forum, or see him in the products forum here or on his website at instagardens.com

Linda

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

No, we have raised veggie beds. Maybe if I was doing containers I'd do that, or something like it, but we're using old fashioned compost and dirt.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.