Prunus mume cuttings

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

ok, Thanks Chantell, I will have to somehow convert that to organics...but I get the part about A LOT.
I'm with you on the azaleas...unless they are the decidious/fragrant ones!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL I knew you would. I claim to be ignorant when it comes to true "organic" but can tell you that Dynamite carries an "organic" fertilizer...and maybe you could find a malefactor that sells certified organic Fish Emulsion and Sea Kelp...I like both of those. Hmmm maybe Vit B as well.... Can't help on the beer...not a beer drinker. ^_^

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

me neither...but fish and kelp are consumed in great amounts around here. YUM!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I think I'm going to gag....I hope it's plants and not a Friday cocktail...LOL

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

Sooooo, azaleas are easy, eh...I guess this explains why every house across the USA has some. there is a swamp azalea I'd like to raid, whenever I get back to Asheville, NC. I hope it is still there. Anytime of summer OK for this, Mike?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

FYI I have access the "native" ones with scent...should anyone want cuttings...there is Pink and Orange...course the blooms are gone so they'd be "surprise"...LOL
Here's where I posted their pics for an ID: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/841701/

This message was edited Jun 5, 2009 7:56 PM

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I too refuse to be a "Sultan of mediocrity", and the azalies go in the woods about my house, instead of a foundation shrub.Yes, I'm a poor ragged snob!! However I walk among kings with dignity.
Yes Dabney, anytime for common azalies, any time except when they are blooming
The native fragrant ones will require a IDBA 2, and a lot longer time, but its worth it.They act like they will barely make it until they are 3 Yrs. old.I have about 6 , dioing fine, but wish I had more of them,(we'll talk).
Chantel, you have more to gain by trying this experience,than you loose, even if it is a disaster the first trip.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

Chantell, if we lived closer together I would take you up on that offer, unless you want to 'practice' and send some After they root! but I have learned my lesson about sending cuttings through the mail! I don't think I could revive them like Mike did!

but a swamp azalea is a fragrant native as well. i just don't think they grow out here...i could be wrong.

beautiful pics, btw!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Agreed - I shall embark upon this new endeavor upon my return...

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

anytime but when they are blooming???hum, that's prob when I am going to be in Asheville. I thought you might say anytime but the dead of winter (just to be silly) no matter, I'm moving back to NC anyway.

so where do I get this IDBA 2 ? Is that mail order? I was just going to HD this morning to look for the regular stuff. You mentioned the #3 for the mumes and now I wonder why??? are they more difficult?

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

The more tender the stem, the lighter the IDBA.Ther is mail order of all three, witch is good to have, and rember the hardier the twig, the higher the IDBA. Thats not in books, to the best of my knowledge.Just plain old trial, and a lot of error.
Mike

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

groovey tip! thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.