Can you identify these epimedium please?

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Here's the first one.

Thumbnail by perenniallyme

Another pic of the same one. Sorry, the flowers are almost gone.

Another one. Thanks for any help.

This message was edited May 10, 2009 10:45 PM

W'Ville, WA

Looks like my E. x rubrum to me, but I'm no expert. -Au

Thanks, Au. I just looked at that one in plantfiles, and the 1st one does look like that. Sometimes it's hard for me to tell using plantfiles, because people post such contradictory pictures, that you don't know which ones are right, but most of those seem to match. Do only some species get the red tinges on the leaves, or do all of them at some time or other - do you know?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I agree that your first one is likely Epimedium x rubrum. The red-edged, red-veined young leaves are characteristic of it, but many other epimedium cultivars/species have colourful spring foliage colouration in various reds and browns.

I'd guess the second one is E. x youngianum 'Roseum'.

You could post these over at the ID forum, if you'd like the experts to look at them.

Thanks, Alta. I'll have a look at that one.
I wasn't even aware of the ID forum. I'll have to check it out. I just figured that the closest category I could find (do epimediums qualify as rock garden/alpine plants?) would have the most experts seeing the post. Am I wrong?

I just found the plant ID forum, and someone asked about the very same (1st) epimedium there yesterday, and, alta, you answered the same as AuNatural , so I'm going to assume that that one's solved. Thanks, both of you.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Well, they're woodland to montane plants, but we post lots of pix of them here, as with lots of other woodland and montane plants, LOL! The reason I suggested the ID forum is because some of the most amazingly knowledgeable experts at plant IDs hang out there, and don't necessarily participate in all or any of the individual forums (or if they do, I couldn't say which ones).

This message was edited May 11, 2009 9:19 PM

That's very interesting. I wouldn't have thought that anyone would be hanging out there and nowhere else. I haven't spent a whole lot of time at this forum, but find myself lurking here more and more as I realize how many of these alpine plants I love - and there seem to be some very knowledgeable people here. Todd Boland, for one, seems to know just about every alpine plant imaginable. I've had to hunt down at least a few of them for my garden, after reading his articles!

And thanks for adding a new word to my vocabulary. montane: pertaining to or living in the mountains. I hadn't seen that word before. I wonder if it's used more in Canada than the US - or if i just don't hang out in the right circles.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

"...Todd Boland, for one, seems to know just about every alpine plant imaginable." - certainly no argument there!

"montane: pertaining to or living in the mountains. I hadn't seen that word before. I wonder if it's used more in Canada than the US." No, I think the expression "eh" is one of the few words that is popularly credited to Canada (though that's easily arguable), LOL!

Eh, is that so? (Did I use it correctly?)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

You're bilingual...

Merci, mon ami. Always thought I had a talent for such things.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I meant American and Canadian.... ;-)

I know (sheepish grin).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.