Taming the wisteria

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

In the swap thread the subject of the wisteria vine that would not die came up. I have such a vine and decided to whip it into shape since I could not get rid of it.

I turned it into a "tree". Here are some pictures before it gets full just to show the mechanics of it.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

A little closer view. You need to go with a heavy pipe, as you can see the rebar is just not strong enough.

It also needs trimming a few times every growing season to keep it in check.

This message was edited May 8, 2009 8:32 AM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Now we can't wait for full bloom! And call it a standard and you can feel like a pro LOL. Didn't we see some at Longwood?

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

What age is your wisteria in these pictures & how long does it take until it blooms? Thanks so much for the idea.

About 7 years. It did not take long for it to bloom maybe 2 years. I read somewhere that by plunging a shovel all around a non-blooming wisteria will help it to bloom. I tried to dig it out so many times I guess I root pruned it, and when I finally let it grow it started to bloom better then it had when it was growing up the old porch.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I tried everything with mine that never bloomed, including the root pruning, severe pruning of the branches, not pruning the branches, beating on the trunk. Nothing worked. But I understand wisteria grown from seed will never bloom so maybe that was the problem. I had it for over 10 years without a single bloom.

If you want to be sure to get a wisteria that blooms, get American wisteria, get one that you can see is already blooming or get some suckers from an already blooming plant. I bought mine from a reputable garden shop and was still stuck with a non-bloomer.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Mine came from a mature plant and I have shaped it much as possible into a tree. Never bloomed until it was split by a severe storm and that next spring it bloomed like incredible! The nursery said it would never make it, but I used vice clamps and grips to pull it together much as possible and duct taped it and sure enough the trauma made it bloom. Since that year it blooms, but spareingly. Sure it is the pruneing job I do. I have read and read that it blooms on the "second year growth". I was just out there the other day and cut on it and then will do the same in fall, but invariably I wind up with lots of leaf vegetation and sparce blooms.

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Here is the full story of it:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/427577/

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

So lady, how exactly, should I be pruning this thing?

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here's my American Wisteria 'Amethyst Falls' that I put in a barrel as a tree on my deck. I'd always wanted a wisteria, but knew how much they can take over. There was one that was trained into a tree form that I use to admire that I passed by every day when I lived in Frederick. So I found the American Wisteria which is smaller so more suited to a container. The blooms are a little shorter but very pretty. It also blooms twice a year, though the second blooms are smaller. I planted this in 2006 from a nursery plant that was about 4' tall. Bloomed the first year after I planted it. It's never been repotted. Use to put plants around the bottom, but it's a little rootbound for that now. Now the drawback. As I disclosed to everyone at the swap last week when I brought cuttings, the blooms stink when they fade! But I still like it. Hoping in the future for a nice thick trunk. Right now I tie it to the deck rail to keep it straight up. Here's a link to my journal with a few bloom pictures. http://davesgarden.com/tools/journal/viewentry.php?rid=129202

Thumbnail by miatablu
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That's really nice LadyG, The first Wisteria I ever took notice of was much like yours. Trained to stand alone in the middle of a yard. It wasn't huge but looked so pretty with it's branches full of blooms. Don't see many that have been trained like that but they sure are pretty.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Miata, That's very nice and the only way I would consider growing one. Does it overwinter in that pot outside?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'm going to train the one Holly gave me into tree form...now to figure out where I want it.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Beautiful blooms but I will say, I am not tempted. I didn't actually like the scent of Holly's wisteria very much. Don't hate me!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, You got here at the very end of the bloom cycle. Earlier in the week the smell was very heavy everywhere in the yard and house.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I loved it!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I loved it too but to each his (or her) own. ☺

W. Tree is just starting to bloom.

A bit closer view.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice!
I need to take a pic of the one Holly gave it it's already starting to grow. Just noticed on my way out tonight. If it's not raining I'll get a pic tomorrow.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Look at the growth on the one I got from Holly.

Thumbnail by flowAjen

Looks like a good one Jen. It will be looking to climb something soon.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I spent a good bit of the day at Ladew Topiary Gardens. You should see the Wisteria there. Unfortionly none of them were blooming. Here is a pic of a free standing Wisteria, there was an old pipe in there to give it some extra support while it was growing.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Holly, Now that is a WT !

Update picture.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Lady, It's looking just so beautiful!! Bet the smell is wonderful.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Can't wait till mine looks like that.

Thanks ladies, It does smell wonderful between it and the Miss Kim lilac in the other side of the house, it is hard to choose what side to work in to get the sniffer going.
Jen training you new vine will be a lot of fun, if you can get 2 to 3 new shoots started maybe you could braid it up the support.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.