Should I spray or dust preventatively? Apples, cherries, pe

Cleveland area, OH(Zone 5b)

This will be year three, and I've had lots of blossoms. I'm trying to be organic as much as is practical.. So what do I do now? Watch and treat anything that develops, or spray something as a preventative? Last year I had about five peaches but they dropped, and I don't know if it was disease or normal since it was so young. I want to do this right, but have no experience.

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

Analemma, would you consider an organic oil spray to be organic gardening? Stone Fruit usually benefits from a couple of dormant oil spray applications and sometimes a growing season application of a lighter oil.

I am not an organic grower, but I minimize the use of chemicals. I spray with Lilly Miller, which is mostly, or all, canola oil. So far an early dormant spraying and then a repeat spraying just before budburst has kept my trees healthy. In our area Peachleaf Curl is the biggest, but not only, threat. Copper or sulfur can be added to the spray but in our very dry climate I have not had to do this.

I would reccomend preventative spraying because pathogens and insects can invade from surrounding area. I am also a strong believer in a healthy tree being the first defense against insect and disease. Pruning, watering and feeding properly is my first priority. Don

Cleveland area, OH(Zone 5b)

Don, thanks for the advice. I don't consider myself purely organic, either, just trying to get as close as practical. I will look for the oil spray. We are quite wet here (Cleveland), so what are the copper and sulfer for? Fungus?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.