How do you display your huecheras?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I want to move around my huecheras for a better display. I would like to see how you all have them displayed in your gardens. They are such a little spark of color. Love all the colors of them. So if you have time I would appreciate the photos. Thanks so much, Ronna

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I got a few shots of mine. I have lots of purple palace and really like them a whole lot. They usually blossom all summer here for me. A nice line of them in this part of the garden breaks up the green.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

key lime pie by the ligularias.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

peach melba by some rocket ligulaias.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I also just purchased a few new ones.... silver scrolls, venus and color dream all on sale for only 3.99 a piece. I love the different vein colors of these. Last year I purchase a Mars from the clearence bin at Meijer. I litterally was on its last leg. But man it is georgeous this year! Really like it is the more with the same name of the planets? Like maybe an Earth? Just wondering would be kinda fun to have them all. Ronna

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

here is my Plum Puddings [i have 3 of them in that bed] and the only other one i have is Silver Scrolls, but it's in Wisc. I'm just starting to get into them.

OH .. i have a Peppermint Spice... i'll see if i can locate an image.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

found one... this is my "East bed"

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh tcs... That is so pretty! I have bought about eight new ones this weeek. The one of yours with the taod looks like siler scrolls I do have that one. Yesterday I bought obsidian, midnight rose, another silver scroll, melting fire, stop light and venus!!! They are such a great punch of color. I have a few of the peachy ones to but I like the darker ones kinda better now. I love how you have your displayed! Thanks so much for posting I kinda thought no one would. Oh I also got a brit marie ligularia!!! Wow so pretty. Ronna

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Ronna --- I think silver scrolls has more red in it. Mine is really very green.
I've been wanting to get Obsidian too. Gorgeous color. I love the really deep colors.... and the bright ones too.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Obsidian looks great next to key lime pie . . .

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

here is a close up of my Peppermint Spice.... taken this morning.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Nice. I got some Peppermint Spice last weekend to plant near my Dicentra - I thought the pinks would complement eachother.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I love the dark red and "veiny" looking one. Silver scrolls is so pretty. I had a pretty bi green spice I divided it. They seem to take a while to bounce back huh? Sometimes its hard to tell where to divide them also. Well you live and learn. I think I'll leave them alone and let them get really large. My Southern Comfort is really pretty now.
all colors of bronze. Ronna

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm not sure what this is, but I saw it on my way to the car from the bus today and thought of you all, so I took a picture.

These plants are huge - probably 18 inches tall.

Thumbnail by katie59
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Thank you katie those are georgeous! Very sweet of you to do that. Love the dark purple colors. I wonder what the names are? Will have to look on plant files? Ronna

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Those do look like Plum Pudding. they weren't blooming yet, were they? PP has little white flowers.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Or possibly Smoky Rose.

Doug

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

There are so many that are that same color - I had thought maybe Plum Pudding or Smoky Rose. I'll be sure to keep an eye on them and check out the bloom color.

I'm still amazed at how huge they are. And I don't think there's been any new landscaping done here - these must have survived our nasty cold/freeze/rain/cold/snow/freeze winter.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

katie -- when i ordered mine... they came in a group of 3.

to see what exposure they liked best, i put 2 in eastern and 1 in northern.... the 2 with the morning sun, HATED it and they were all shriveled up ... with in a few weeks after planting in the shade, they perked right up again, and looked fabulous.

it seems they are pretty fast growers.... this is my 3rd year with them.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Mine do okay in the spring sun (because it just doesn't start to get hot for us until June) and then handle the summer sun if they have water. Summers here are not that hot (80 or below, for the most part, on this side of the state).

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I've got them mixed all throughout my beds.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Right now, they are providing the only color in the sea of green foliage from spent daff & tulip blooms.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Some serious plant moving needed here!

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Anywhere there's part shade, I plant some Heuchs.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Is that Citronelle or Key Lime Pie in there? It sure is big. I'm looking forward to seeing mine get that big.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

There was some serious ground heave this winter and many need to be replanted. Some are gone, but not forgotten.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Katie, That's actually Pistache.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh, that's a Hosta, rather than a Heuchera. of course. It's very, very pretty. And what's the little Daffodil next to it? I love the simple little flower.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

They really work so many places.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Katie, The Heuchera you asked about is Pistache. The Hosta is Sunpower. I'll have to look up the daff's name.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

The daffs just love the Heuchs!!

Thumbnail by stormyla
(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Only have 2, but here's one from today

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, stormyla. I figure that out after posting and then realized that I probably just needed to go to bed . . . LOL

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

stormyla quite a few lost heucheras here too this year sigh. I lost an older one (marmalade) but all the seedlings are fine.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Isn't that crazy? My marmalade did okay. It was right next to Obsidian, which did not.

I haven't yet had seedlings. I'll look forward to that!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I know, too weird Katie. I haven't had any seedlings from my plants. They were started from purchased seed.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Way too much warm & then freezing weather. Many long cold damp periods too. My roadside bed really needed a lot of enrichment. I covered it in layers of compost, mushroom soil & shredded leaves. It may have been too much for the younger heuchs.

Dahlianut, I'm still undecided about how Marmalade & Sashay perform here. Blackout & Obsidian are among those I lost.

Tiarella Heronswood Mist is just about the most tempermental of the lot, but oh so pretty. Just finished labeling all of the Heuchs for our Midatlantic swap. Boy were they popular!!

I know so many people find Snow Angel to be difficult, but they came through this nasty winter like troopers.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Irwells, Your 2 Heuchs are beautiful. Oh No, you will need many more!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Stormyla I won't replace Marmalade. I wanted it in a shady spot and it didn't do well there from the get go. I have a Sunspot heucherella coming that's going there now. Thanks for the tip on Snow Angel.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Dahlianut, I think it's more the folks in warmer climates that have problems with Snow Angel. Other folks in colder parts of Pa have done well with it. Sunspot did great here as did most of the other heucherellas and Tiarellas. I must be the only person who does not like Tiarella blooms. I much prefer their awsome later colorations and foliage shows. I just don't like pale pink flowers. The whites are OK.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.