Gardens to match your house style

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I was wondering if anyone purposely gardens to match your house style?
I have a very boring bi-level so I'm trying to have the gardens make up for that.
Our old house was a cape cod and I had very cottagey feel to the gardens there. I don't think I intended to do that it just worked out that way.
But I think if I had a contempory style house I would have a japanese themed garden.
What about you?

Thumbnail by flowAjen
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Heck NO! I want a house to match my gardens.^_^

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

lol

I thought there was basically 3 types to make? Formal, Cottage and Country.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Just more space to match my illness. Houses can always be demolished.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

I agree! More space, but I still need every inch of the house's footprint.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I would bulldoze down half of the big thing in the middle of the garden in a minute if my DH would let me.

Dnut:
He DOES go to sleep, doesn't he?

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

dnut - hilarious

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

my house = nightmares..... no way no how!.... granted we are fixing as we go along... but it has been exhausting... don't want my happy place to match this mess!

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

I wouldn't want my garden to match this wreck of a house, either. Since I don't have the skills or money to do what I'd like to fix up the house, I just concentrate on the garden. Someone two towns over has my dream house. It's contemporary, but somehow also looks very natural and fits beautifully into the wooded surrounding. I can't explain it, but I love it.

I know that feeling well, Noreaster. I love out old house, but it needs new siding, new paint, new shutters, new walkways, new heat system, new insulation, new everything, darn it all! The gardens fare much better!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ok so no ones garden style matches there house....very interesting.
Now what if you owned your ultimate(dream) house, would you match?
My dream house is a victorian but I'm not into formal gardens so I'd vote no, but I guess a country garden could also match(what I tend to lean towards).

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

We have a big old farm house that was built in 1955 pretty much exactly like the one they tore down to build this one - with the exception of indoor plumbing in this one. I have 'farm house' gardens rather than 'cottage' gardens. We totally remodeled the downstairs while we were still living in the trailer (22 years of 'temporary' housing). This year, we replaced the last old windows upstairs (two people, 4 bedrooms and not a spare scrap of space anywhere - how did I raise two girls in a 12x60 trailer???) and have plans to replace siding and repaint the spots where we did replace siding. There were "foundation' plantings in the front, we left one huge rhodo and tore out the rest. Now I have hollyhocks in back, daylilies and hostas and hardy geraniums in front, lots of daffs, some woodland plants, ferns, roses, pansies, and impatiens when it gets warm enough. Basically, I try to keep something in bloom all year, resorting to hellebores in winter and the johnny-jump-ups, though they are usually under snow. The pic is about a year ago - looks much the same right now.

edited to say we do occasionally mow the lawn!

This message was edited May 11, 2009 10:33 AM

Thumbnail by Kathleen

No - do what you want. Anyway, I don't see victorians as formal as others. I love Queen Anne style.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Prior to us moving into this house, it was formally called "the dump," I wouldn't have even tried to match the gardens to the house. What does one actually match bricktec(sp?) with? lol.
The house was purchased for $14k, about 8 years ago, if that gives anyone a hint as to how much of a fixer upper this beauty was, and still is. I was told that my home was a 4x4, or box house...Sears & Robuk(sp?) styled home. I wish I had pictures of what the previous owner had done to the place, garden wise...lol. When neighbors come out and openly applaud as you chain saw down evergreens and other hideous misshapen plant materials, you know it was bad. And by neighbors, I mean up and down the block, on both sides of the street!

I would like to add a 4th style of gardening: Eclectic. A little of this, a little of that sort of gardening. I think most of us garden in the "Eclectic" style of gardening :-)

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Me too, Victor I LOVE Queen Anne style.

Wow only $14K. was it a Sears catalog house? There was one where we used to live, it was gorgeous!

Great story, Thom!

Here's a great Queen Anne we visited last week, Jen.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow, that is awesome.

Check this one out for sale in a town north of me.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/198-Stockton-St_Hightstown_NJ_08520_1106209897

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Luvly but needs a turret like this. I just luv turrets http://architecture.about.com/od/housestyles/ig/Queen-Anne-Houses/Queen-Anne-House.--0B.htm

I'll take all three.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

yes. I believe that I could refrain from bulldozing it down if my house looked like any one those.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

GORGEOUS!!!!

I love just going on the real estate websites to check out pics of the insides of these houses.
The town just north of me is filled with old victorians and they had garden tours 2 years ago and a house tour one Christmas, I always have something else going on. Hopefully when they do it again, I'll get to go......speaking of which, I should go check their calendar of events.

Only $525K for that. Probably $750 not too long ago.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

$525k??!! Sheesh, we've got raised ranches going for that much in my area. Even $750K for that beauty would be a bargain. I need to move. Preferably into a neighborhood full of those gorgeous houses. Unfortunately, there are a few towns here with neighborhoods with those houses, but you wouldn't want to walk there at high noon.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

A ranch for $525K???? Crazy!

Yes it is.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Even worse my cousins sold their 3 bedroom L-shaped ranch on 1/4 acre in Northern CA for 1 million dollars!!!!!!!!! Moved to Oregon and bought a farm with tons of acreage.

That's sick.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Disgusting.

Wish I was the seller, though!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yeah, my cousins made out good. They are in their 60's and working a farm, too funny.

The work part I can do without.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.