Northeast Gardening: Gardens to match your house style, 1 by Kathleen

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Kathleen

In reply to: Gardens to match your house style

Forum: Northeast Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Gardens to match your house style
Kathleen wrote:
We have a big old farm house that was built in 1955 pretty much exactly like the one they tore down to build this one - with the exception of indoor plumbing in this one. I have 'farm house' gardens rather than 'cottage' gardens. We totally remodeled the downstairs while we were still living in the trailer (22 years of 'temporary' housing). This year, we replaced the last old windows upstairs (two people, 4 bedrooms and not a spare scrap of space anywhere - how did I raise two girls in a 12x60 trailer???) and have plans to replace siding and repaint the spots where we did replace siding. There were "foundation' plantings in the front, we left one huge rhodo and tore out the rest. Now I have hollyhocks in back, daylilies and hostas and hardy geraniums in front, lots of daffs, some woodland plants, ferns, roses, pansies, and impatiens when it gets warm enough. Basically, I try to keep something in bloom all year, resorting to hellebores in winter and the johnny-jump-ups, though they are usually under snow. The pic is about a year ago - looks much the same right now.

edited to say we do occasionally mow the lawn!

This message was edited May 11, 2009 10:33 AM