Alpines (or alpine wannabes) in May

(Zone 5a)

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that Lefwood. lol Tanks! You've got a sharp eye! So the question is: could that be Iris setosa var. arctica? The label read Iris setosa from Alaska ......

Thanks Todd :-)

The weather is awful right now, wind and rain so I have no new photos to share ....... my Ranunculus alpestris is flowering right now, I need to get a photo of it once the weather improves.

Rann

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Wet snow here today! YUCK! Suppose to get sunny tomorrow so maybe by Wednesday I'll get some updated pics too.

(Zone 5a)

OK - you win bad weather wise ;-) lol

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

I bought some of those Colchicum agrippinum bulbs from Buggycrazy last fall that were at such a good price. They have all been up for quite a long time now, and with an added surprise - the leaves undulate!

Doing a bit of internet research, it seems this species is often sold as a species, but is actually a hybrid, much the same as Fritillaria michailovskyi. Todd, I wonder how these compare to yours from Ruksan?

Never-the-less, I am very pleased:

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Fritillaria meleagris with Pulsatilla turczaninovii. Gentiana septemfida in the foreground.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

The same P. turczaninovii later, and on a windy day.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Iris suaveolens. For me this species is very susceptible to encroachment. The slightest bit of protection makes the leaves grow straight, instead of the most excellent arcing that they do. Height: 4-5 inches.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Iris suaveolens var. rubromarginata

Thumbnail by Leftwood

A very nicely colored Jeffersonia dubia. A seedling from a fellow NARGS Chapter member.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

The same.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

My poor primulas always have a hard time. My garden is too dry. But they survive!
Primula auricula

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Trillium sessile. You can see the interesting seed pod developing.

And Epimedium pubigerum 'Orangekönigan'

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Less far along, Trillium luteum.

Thumbnail by Leftwood
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Rick, your Jeffersonia seems to have extra petals...much fuller-looking effect. Your Trilliums are about the same stage as ours...I expect you will start to pass me any day!

(Zone 5a)

Great plants Leftwood!

Your Jeffersonia dubia is gorgeous and I love the Iris suavolens :-) Oh and those Trilliums are soooo cool too :-)

Rann

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Correction Rick, you are now ahead of me...my sessile and luteum are not in bloom yet.

Yes, I noticed the extra petals on this Jeff last year too, but there extra on maybe half of the flowers then. (It only had half the number of flowers then, too.) I need to talk to Nancy (who has the mother plant) and see what hers does. I don't remember it having more than 6 petals per, but her flowers do have an even better color. Hers is actually more bluish and has a glistening quality in the petals.

Todd, is your C. agrippinum wavy leafed like what I have?

Iris lutescens 'Campbellii' opened today for the first time:

Thumbnail by Leftwood
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Yes Rick, C. agrippinum has wavy-margined foliage....and also small-sized compared to the other Colchicums.

Here are some of the latest to bloom....Heloniopsis orientalis

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Primula marginata

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Primula laurentiana...a Newfoundland native

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Pulsatilla georgica

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Primula Windrush

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Erythronium White Beauty

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Vitalliana primuliflora

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and I'll end with Rhododendron lapponicum...another Newfoundland native

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
(Zone 5a)

Great plants Todd :-) Love the two natives, especially the Rhododendron. What's the secret to such a profusely flowering Vitaliana? Mine's also flowering now but it only has a few flowers on it. It's never flowered like that! Gorgeous! :-) Still horribly windy here so still no photos ....

Rann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

And another Vitaliana! This one is V. primuliflora v. cinerea... though I don't know what characteristics specify the variety.

Thumbnail by altagardener
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Veronica bombycina ssp. bolkardaghensis, starting to bloom. I think I'll be compelled to post another shot of this later as it progresses; the combination of icy green foliage and pale blue flowers promises to be quite stunning!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Jeffersonia dubia... just a baby, but the colour is quite good! (It was labelled by the local grower as 'ex. dark form'.)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Adonis vernalis.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Only an alpine wanna-be, Muscari latifolium:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

An update on Pulmonaria altaica, a Halda introduction from Siberia - a lovely thing with leaves that feel like a black lab's ears.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Look at the buds on Physaria didymocarpa this year! It will be spectacular... or at least as spectacular as these things get, LOL!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Erysimum nivale 'Mountain Magic'...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Chionodoxa forbesii 'Pink Giant'... from the north side shadow of the house, and thus, just opened.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Schivereckia podolica and a handsome andrenid bee (Andrena milwaukeensis, or so I believe, anyway). I read that S. podolica is now endangered in some (all?) parts of its native range.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I'm jealous with your dry-land alpines...I can't grow Physaria or V. bombycina...fuzz and 60" rain don't mix well. Otherwise, looks like Calgary and St. John's are at the same stage in regards to plants...my Muscari and Chionodoxa are also blooming.

Excellent plants, Alta. The veronica is quite enticing, Jeffersonia wonderfully colored, and the Physaria is obviously very happy. I like Pulmonarias without leaf spots best. Love some fresh seed from that if you get the chance.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

"Jealous", Todd?!!? LOL! Gee, it seems you are able to grow everything beautifully BUT those two species, perhaps - it is me who is envious! Fabulous plants! The ericaceous ones really kill me, as only bare survival is possible for the toughest in my grim conditions.
Rick, yes, I will make every effort to collect seed this year, and I'll check if I still have your address in the catacombs somewhere. I'll have to collect lots of seed, now that I hope to participate in the seedex for both NARGS and SRGC! Your Pulsatilla turczaninovii, especially, is absolutely wonderful - incredible downy flowers! How old is that plant now? After your photos got me going on this species, I grew them from seed last year and so will at least get to see a sparse bloom or two this year, barring some calamity.

This message was edited May 15, 2009 9:30 AM

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I've decided to put in a crevice garden this weekend...nothing elaborate...about 5 X 5 feet. I picked up the rocks last night. I'll post pics once finished. I have lots of seedlings coming along to fill the cracks! It was a hard winter on ericaceous plants around here...more like a Calgary winter LOL!...I lost my entire heath bed....hence the space for the new crevice garden!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.