GH bizz #3

Gentry, AR

we came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/965799/

Gentry, AR

still can't get out in the garden, rain won't quit. the greenhouse is getting full

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Gentry, AR

i did get to plant some greens a few weeks back

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Gentry, AR

i did a test on the corn i am going to grow and at 85 degrees in 4 days i got the small ones and 6 days i get that large growth. i'm going to try and grow corn potatoes pole beans and watermelon or cantaloupe all together.
i thought i would try the one bean with one corn the space out the potatoes and watermelon the right space. i don't think thy will compeat with each other but will see.

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I did the 3 sisters planting last year... only problem was I planted short corn and tall pole beans. Er...

Uh-huh, looks like you do a good rain dance too. I'll bet you look plain sharp in skins and feathers... tux and cape...

bleh, bleh, bleh... ;o)=

Gentry, AR

i don't ware skins any more they don't grow deer that big. lol :}

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

ok, I had always hear that you couldn't start corn and then transplant it.... but at all the local places around here there is corn for sale.

What is everyone's take on it here. Can you really transplant it or is there some special dance you do first then plant....?

Janet

Gentry, AR

i wasn't planing on planting them it was just a test i was doing but i done see why you couldn't, but you would have to take great care for the roots. my test plug roots are coming out the bottom after only 6 days. i will plant them and see if they survive and let everyone know. as soon as the rain stops, if it doesn't stop soon i'm going to put on my swimming suit and plant in the rain. no joke.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

why not in the rain, I'm sure my neighbors get a laugh from me, as there are many times I'm out with a bath shower cap on so I can be out playing in my flower beds.

Janet

Gentry, AR

if i get in my garden when its wet i'll sink to my ankles and the way its been raining i'm afraid i would sink to my knees. when i till up my garden i till it at least 12 inch deep.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Last week I went out into the yard and my shoes squished down into the mud. I couldn't get them off and finally fell over, SPLAT! The shoes were still in the mud.

Gentry, AR

hay cathy4 you brought a smile to my face, been there done that. lol, we are going to get at least 4 more days of rain. wish i knew a anti rain dance.

Los Gatos, CA

Be grateful for rain. California is in the third year of a drought! We have to dig the garden with a pick!

Gentry, AR

hay guys i have some of this stuff in my one greenhouse but would like to build self sustaining greenhouse put your thinking caps on and help me with this.
this is what i have so far:
1. worm and compost bins in the floor
2. tanks for the tilapia providing food and heat for the greenhouse
3. the leanto for the chickens providing eggs meat fertilizer and heat for the greenhouse
4. rabbits providing heat for the greenhouse fertilizer and worm food.
5.rain collection barrels for water.
6. solar panel for elec.
ok lets hear your ideas and when i get all the ideas in i will draw up the plans and post them then start the work on the greenhouse and of coarse post pics

Gentry, AR

hay "Imagesoart" maybe i can ship you some i have plenty

Images, I'm not complaining, I promise. It was just so darned funny. I have problems walking as it is from arthritis, so getting up out of the mud was a struggle, I was covered up to my elbows, my pants are in the trash. I'll pray you get rain soon, and just the right amount, not all at once.

Add a solar water heater for the animals and heat for the GH.

Gentry, AR

thanks cathy4 forgot about that its on the list now.

Los Gatos, CA

Hey, it is true that we get ALL our rain, ALL at once.. More efficient that way ;) I am going to catch any run off from my greenhouse in a barrel and use it for the garden. Other then that, we don't get rain in the summer. I would like to set up a gray water system from the house. That would take a lot of work. But it would be a great savings of water.

Whitebear - Just send some rain along in a balloon or two!

I just got four chicks for the fun, eggs and poop. My guess is, that will not heat the greenhouse! We are in the process of building a coop.

I am interested in solar panels for the Greenhouse, our heating bill was through the roof!

Gentry, AR

Imagesoart if you didn't know already, you can take broken solar cells and make your own solar panel. i'll see if i can find the link that tells you how.

Gentry, AR

found one site but it uses new cells but the broken one work to
http://www.mdpub.com/SolarPanel/index.html

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

You forgot the methane digestor... =0)

Hey, Image... quick and dirty greywater system---5 gal. buckets under the removed U-joints in kitchen and bathroom. Did you find some cheap barrels?

Wish we'd get some rain out here...

Gentry, AR

i can get 50 gallon barrels for 4 dollars and 250 gallon tanks for 10 dollars after all the greenhouse projects are done i'll look to the rain water and gray water systems. if they ever get done. i just interviewed for a job as a cook for a local restaurant so that i can buy the three acres next to me and start more projects.

Gentry, AR

methane digester "hit me with a two by four and wake me up" hay also found a waste oil stove plan might use it some how to heat up the water for the tilapia the closer to 78 degrees i can get it the better. methane digester now on the list.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Nah, waste oil is the new bio diesel... as cook, make dibbies on all the waste oil for new biodiesel plant to run car.

Used auto oil for pig oilers...

pigs to heat GH... ugh, nah.

Like you needed help with ideas... LOL

Gentry, AR

lol i'll take all the ideas i can get, hey there is also the jet stove that can heat up water with only a few twigs.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

ah, but then you'd have to have twigs...
oh, of course, raspberry bush trimmings...

poached talapia on a bed of organic greens, with fresh chevre sprinkled on top (I've switched from a nice guernsey to a couple of dairy goats for heating GH)...

home brew, what shall you do for home brew?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Wow what great ideas everyone has here. Oh to have access to all those barrels...... I'm such a clutter bug. But to have about 10 of those 50 gallon ones would be so grand....LOL

Janet

Lusting for them here, too, just one would make me so happy, not that I'm not happy all the time anyway.

Gentry, AR

i have plenty of twigs from my other land 26 acres of woods that got hit hard during the ice storm. twigs and limbs everywhere. sorry i can't help with the barrels guy wish i could. as so as i get a working transporter done i'll have Scooty beam them over. and for home brew i'll let you have some raspberrie juice and you can keep it under the sink till it ferments.

when i was young my mom made grape juice from wild grapes and put it under the sink, we drank a glass every morning. then we forgot about the last 2 bottles. some time latter my grandparents came down for the weekend. my mom came in the kitchen saw my grandpa with the grape juice, she asked him if he liked her grape juice, he informed her that it had turned into grape wine and before they left on Sunday grandpa finished the bottle and took the other one with him.

Gentry, AR

sorry guys not much work on the greenhouses lately to much rain.
here is what i have been up to. birthday cake for sons friend.

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Gentry, AR

and here is what my wife has been up to lately. happened on her way home from work last night

Thumbnail by gthumbus

ouch, big booboo, hope she wasn't hurt. Cute cake, lots of green teeth at that party.

Gentry, AR

thanks cathy4 they took her to the hospital and did some xrays nothing broken but she is sore today and has some numbness in her arm. shes going to the neurosurgeon monday. but she was happy she walked away. and so was i.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh my goodness, glad to hear she made it through that. Whip lash for sure....

Janet

Gentry, AR

thanks "meadowyck" and yes her neck is hurting a bit. it was kinda weird her wreck was the second one i was at that day, that morning i stopped for a young lady that hit a deer and almost came threw her windshield. "don't figure" i was the only one that stopped and i was with her for about 25 min. before the ambulance got there.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

wow, yes now that we live where we do, the deer at dawn and dusk worry me when I'm driving, which usually I try to wait (except when going to work in the morning) till after those times.

One time on a freeway a deer came out and with the way they jump like they are on springs, came across the lanes jumping from one persons car hood to the next, the deer made it across the road unhurt...go figure.

Hope your wife heals fast. Neck pain is a bummer for sure.

Will be gone for a while, going in on Tuesday to have sinus surgery, so don't know when I'll feel up to being on the computer screen.

Happy mothers day ladies.

Janet

Ice packs on my neck were the only thing that helped me after a wreck.

Gentry, AR

thanks "meadowyck" and good luck on the surgery we will be here when you get back. and cathy4 she love those ice packs they have been helping her.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

It is sad that no one else stopped to render aid... =0( and good that you did.

Glad to hear no major damage to the SU... after the big adjustments, hope she'll work with some cranio-sacral work or something for the little tweaks.

Is the car salvagable?

Finally warmed up here and I'm laying out the beds and drip system in the high tunnel. Got 11 pepper plants in today. =0)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.