The first iris bloom is six days early

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Here is the same bloom from an angle that shows the yellow in the beard.

Thumbnail by Mainer
South Hamilton, MA

Snowflurry is also very tender in the north. It did not survive in our former CT garden.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

All so very interesting. I am a HIPS member and never went to the forums (and I didn't even recall they were there!).

I wonder sometimes that some rare historic is growing in someone's yard and people don't even know it. That's part of the reason I wanted to run around and take pictures of some I see locally.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Snowflurry died in my gardens too, never bloomed but it did survive the first year and when I asked on the ID Forum if Snowflurry had PBF they told me right away it was an imposter. Snowflurry is GBF.

Well quite a few popped open today. Presby Iris Gardens gave me historic Black Onyx TB (R. Schreiner, Reg 1959 Intro 1958) to try and maiden bloom today.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Burnt Toffee is blooming as a clump today.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Another Dykes Medal Winner called Rosy Wings by Gage, 1936 HM1934 DM 1939 had it's maiden bloom today.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Dykes Medal Winner and newly historic Victoria Falls (Schreiner,1977) TB is 40" ELRe. HM 1978, AM 1980, DM 1984 bloomed today.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

A descendant of Victoria Falls is Suky. It does not flop over as much in a storm. Suky (Mahan, 1988) TB 37" parents are Violet Miracle x Victoria Falls.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Here is an oldie that has great color but not so great form. I love the color and hope the camera caught the gold sheen. Easter Bonnet (Maxwell & Norton Reg and Intro 1943) 40"M, S7Mblend. HM 1946.

Parents Morocco Rose x Alastor

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Here is another shot with a modern arilbred called Red Earth

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Red Earth by Hunt 1992 maiden bloom.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Gold Of Orphir (Lloyd Austin,Reg 1956) TB oncobred 40" ML and is a fast increasing one.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Here is a better bloom on Picadilly Circus TB

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

This is Faustine by Lemon,Jean Nicolas I believe, Reg and Intro 1859 IB was transplanted last year and so I did not expect bloom from it this year.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Now this MTB is Honorabile by Jean Nicolas Lemon, 1840. It changes in color intensity each year so some years it is very dark, others very light, it is all over the country as a noid and many sports have come off of this plant. I do own several sports like Joseph Coat Katkatamier, Kaleidoscop and unfortunately my Sherman-Wright died this winter in the ice storm because it was only planted last July and never bloomed.

I can show the sports if you want to see the difference because they did bloom last year.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

This is how it looked last year before I divided the clump

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Here is a modern MTB called Bumblebee Deelite

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

MME Henri Cayeux (Cayeux, 1924) 40" TB LSD9

Parents Black Prince x Alcazar

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Lt. Purple noid

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

First Siberian to open is Windward Spring and I do not see budfly damage so the stuff like Merit seems to be working.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Riverdance (sib)

Thumbnail by jumper2
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

First is a noid that I bought in 2001 with the tag saying is was Twist Of Fate. This TB is not Twist of Fate any ideas on what it might be?

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Viloacea Grandiflora TB 36" M medium blue self colected by DeBarry in 1856 maiden bloom

This message was edited Jun 5, 2009 12:50 AM

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Cerf- Volant TB by Cayeaux 2003 maiden bloom

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Lacey Snowflake (Schreiner, Reg 1976, Intro 1977) TB 38",EM became historic recently.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Lavandulacea(Van Houtte,1854) 28",M. Diploid from Belgium.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Loreley (Goos & Koeneman, 1909) 24",M. Diploid from Germany, sibling to Rhein Nixe.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Elizabethan Age TB Baumunk 2005 luminata maiden bloom

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

IndianChief (Ayres, 1929) TB 35" E

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Ginger (R. Schreiner, Reg and Intro 1953) TB 37", ML

Thumbnail by Mainer
Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Thank's for sharing Mainer, "Elizabethan Age" is I gotta have one.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Joe, it is your Batik that bloomed this year for the first time. Two bloom stalks. Thank you!

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Batik went bloom nuts this year for me when it has that many blooms it really is special. I'm far behind posting pics just having time to take them at the moment.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

That is my problem too. About 400 pics a day and labeling was what I was doing and then having the flu made it all I could do for a time. I am now over it and then went to my first Iris Show where I actually entered something.

I am simply stunned. I went to just learn how to fill out the cards and stick and groom the iris in the vases and all I took were historics.

I won Best Specmen Of Section with Rhein Nixe by Goos & Koenemann 1910
First Prize blue ribbon with I Pallida collected by Lamark in 1789
First Prize blue ribbon with Persian Berry by l Gaulter 1976, Linda, the one you gave me in fact.

Third Place white ribbon with Hi Time by Hall which we did not seem to pick up the ribbon so I am glad we took pictures of the tags and flowers have to label them still.
Third Place white ribbon with Mrs. George Darwin I got from Laurie from Shadowood only the judges say it is Mrs Horace Darwin so I will have to tell HIPS of their ruling and need to ask what they think about the ID.

Third Place white ribbon with Minnie Colquitt by HP Sass 1941 from Susan
Third Place white ribbon with Loreley by Goos & Koeneman 1910
Honorable Mention yellow ribbon with Faustine by Lemon 1840
Honorable Mention yellow ribbon with Monsignor by Vilmorin 1907
Honrable Mention yellow ribbon with Superstition by Shriener 1977

Those were the ten I entered but there were many other historics like Ola Kala, The Red Douglas, Color Carnival for instance. Will have to go through my photos and label before posting things but my niece's graduation takes priority for the moment.

Julianna

This message was edited Jun 15, 2009 7:03 PM

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Okay I confess, after labeling tons and tons of medians for the $1.00 iris sale I bought qiute a few too.

I have two I can not find info for. Does anyone know anything about Vibes SDB and Baja SDB?

Thanks

South Hamilton, MA

Baja (Gatty'83) thought that it sounded like one of his names. mainly yellow, standards with faint lavender under toning, F-have slight lavender edge.

Vibes (Blyth'97/98) mushroom apricot. F-deeper mushroom pink spot, bds-tangerine,end lavender blue.

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

Boy am I ever glad I read through this thread! Big, Big Congratulations Julianna! Ya did good, girl. I keep telling everyone how special Persian Berry is. That is one gorgeous flower. And most of the blooms are perfect.I just recently told someone who hybridizes that he should consider using PB, and he reads this forum and posts here. I am so proud that I sent you the beginnings of that plant.

I will be looking up all that the irises that you won prizes with. Many I'm familiar with already. And you will be getting an email from me.

Great job, Julianna.

Linda

Yah, congrats. Can't wait to see the pix myself!

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Thank you Lucy! I can give them labels and plant them thanks to you.

Linda, it feels like we won that blue ribbon together with Persian Berry because you sent me that plant.

Thanks Marna will try to get the pics labeled soon and the other flowers in my garden are still blooming too. Will show them when things slow down a bit.

I am thinking the judges were wrong about Mrs George Darwin after talking to the HIPS members. They say Mrs George Darwin has purple under the beard as well and no purple based fan. Mrs Horace Darwin's purple does not go under the beard and it has purple based fans. Otherwise they look alike. I went to my garden today and mine has no pbf in the fans.

My hubby said no garden tomorrow. We will celebrate 20 years of being married, where does the time go? Only seems like yesterday.

Julianna

Congrats on the 20 too! Yes, must pay attention to the hubby on the anniversary!

It must be very difficult to determine these old iris and possible un-named seedlings. I know that my i. pallida often looks different than those pictured as the Lamark, and I read how there are many variations of it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.