The first iris bloom is six days early

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

We had a very unusual 83 degree day that seems to have made my irises ready to bloom six days earlier than last year. My earliest used to be Blue Doll which died in the ice storm last winter and Caution Sign with will bloom on schedule on May 10th.

Alpine Lake MDB first bloom ever in my garden.

Julianna

Thumbnail by Mainer
Lebanon, OR

cute:)

D

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Alpine Lake MDB today.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Elfin Magic MDB

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Aurora Sea MDB just opened today too.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Snowtree SDB

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Cherry Child SDB

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Cherry Garden SDB

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Hustle SDB

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Neutron SDB

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Red Heart SDB with a Blue Moss bud beside it

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Toots SDB polytepal

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Tweetybird SDB

Thumbnail by Mainer
Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

Don't you just love them all! Those of us in the cold zones really appreciate our first blooms. I really like Neutron.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Only one new on opened up today, the rest above are still blooming but a bit tattered from a thunderstorm last night.

Here is Smell The Roses SDB

Thumbnail by Mainer
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

How do you have iris blooming in a z3 already?? Are these in a GH? I'm z5 and not one has bloomed....heck the buds aren't even completely formed yet!!

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

A very sheltered spot zoned up with stone pathstones, eastern side of the house, full sun until the apple tree leaves out which it is about to do now but the iris are sheltered by the sloping hillside.

I am breaking up the clay soil with sand for drainage. The ones in the northern side of the house or in raised wooden beds are not blooming yet. They are way behind.

Here is the maltese cross in the northern part of the garden that is way behind.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

This is not the best pic of the pathway and wooden raised beds sheltering the arilbred section, mdb first row, sdb second arilbred third, mtb forth and TB last so blooms front to back according to height and having that 80 degree day in April heated up my flower beds so the crocus, the tulips and the daffys all came out at once, not in the usual cycle. Made the irises do the same. I have aribreds like Code Talker and Red Earth already sending up bloom stalks.

Each year is a wee bit different here. Yes, they are planted too close but I have many kinds, one rhizome each I take photos of for the HIPS photo gallery.

I do go to the Tall bearded iris show they hold in June and to the median iris sale they hold at the show.

This message was edited May 11, 2009 11:26 PM

Thumbnail by Mainer
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

So nice to see those tiny ones! They won't grow here, so seeing pics of them is a real treat!

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Today two opened had maiden blooms.

Brassie SDB

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Ballet Slippers SDB

Thumbnail by Mainer
South Hamilton, MA

???Ballet Slippers. It is a salmon color, no white.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Ballet Slippers (A&D Willott "Intro 1987) 12" M. Parents: Pink Crystal x Coral Wings. HM 1992.

No description on the CD but there is a pic. I might find a description on a 1980's checklist to be sure but my bloom is not white but a very light pink and a maiden bloom. The photo was taken in full sun so might not show off properly.

Was in the Maine Iris Society Sale and I just checked the Rainbow Median Iris CD I bought a few years ago for $10.00. It is an exact match to the pic on that CD.

I have never seen this SDB iris blooming in person before. There is a Ballet Lesson that is more salmon pink which is also in the Rainbow Median Iris CD. I love that thing to help me identify some of these beauties. I hope the update and sell another one.

This message was edited May 12, 2009 1:55 PM

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

I especially love that snowtree. Is that really a mossy yellow-green I see?

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Yes Snowtree has the mossy yellow green and it is very vigorous. Had a bad ice storm which killed many of my irises and this thing just took and multiplied. I do have a couple of rhizomes extra of Snowtree.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Okay, here are todays beauties and most are maiden blooms.

Better Bloom on Aurora Sea MDB

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Blue Moss SDB

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

This is a maiden bloom of Fibber. I have never seen a picture of it or a description for I do not have a 1990's checklist and it is not in Plantfiles. This was printed on the bag at the Maine Iris Society sale.

Excuse the weeds, violets just popped up everywhere after the rain storm and this is weeded before I took the photo.

Fibber (Barry Blyth, 1991) 12", ML, SDB pink.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Maiden bloom of Ice and Indigo and just opening is more blue than it looks now. Will have to go take another photo of it later in the day. another one for a $1.00 and the Maine Iris Society sale.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Maiden bloom of Lollipop SDB which is just open in this photo and lightens up to more red during the day.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Now this one from the Maine Iris Society is mislabeled and I have no clue what it might be. Any help identifying it will be gladly accepted. mot likely a historic if I picked it up at the sale but I do pick up moderns too.

Not ever seeing Golden Flare in person would this bloom be too modern for it or not? I did buy Golden Flare and the tag is missing but am not sure if this is it or not. Advanced Design is supposed orange and it might be where I thought I put Golden Flare. Why would I plant two yellows together? Not something I would do on purpose. Sorry just babbling.

Maiden bloom of not Advanced Design SDB

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Maiden bloom of SDB Regards just opening so will have to get another photo later.

Thumbnail by Mainer

Mainer, I'd love to take you up on those couple of extra rhizomes of snowtree. I have extra rhizomes of these DBs: jeweler's art, cherry tart, sparks fly, and maybe 1 each of cat's eye, jive, and pele. Also IBs rare edition, pink kitten and sunny dawn. Would you be interested in any of these?

Edited to add:
Sorry about your ice storm. I know how you you feel, because last year I lost a lot of my irises to rot because of all the rain we had.
Also, I had a look at your tradelist, and I have a few DLs that you're looking for, but don't want to interrupt your thread with any more details here.

This message was edited May 12, 2009 2:01 PM

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

I am very interested perenniallyme. I lost quite a few daylilies as well to the ice storm so am stuck with the less expensive hardy one for trading this year. Just Dmail me when you are interested in trading. i think the other irises will not be opening until tommorrow but will go check anyways.

Oh Mainer, I'm really sorry about your daylilies as well. I'll dmail you soon - or you're welcome to dmail me as well.

Sharon

South Hamilton, MA

Ballet Slippers is a Willott iris, salmon colored & Ballet Lesson is shorter, a little more yellow in the salmon by Dave Niswonger. Our Ballet Slippers isn't going to bloom this yr & we no longer have Ballet Lesson.

Kingston, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi Mainer
Your right on the Golden Flare 'imposter'.
Golden Flare is a golden-pink TB from the early 30's. There is a picture at HIPS of it.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Thanks but I goofed. I meant Golden Fair SDB and said Golden Flare which I did buy from Superstition and it was planted in a raised wooden bed. I will check if that is still alive. Will love to see that bloom someday being a gold pink color for a TB.
Julianna

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Fibber SDB maiden bloom

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Toy Boat SDB maiden bloom

Thumbnail by Mainer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.