Backyard Birds (continued)

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/967342

Good news - we have wren babies! Haven't seen them yet, but they are noisy!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Thanks for starting a new thread Kaper. I didn't notice it and put all my photos on the last one. Also, thanks for the name on that Rat-tailed Cactus.

Babies! Congratulations, I can't wait to see the pictures later on.

Loved your photos of the Bewick's wren, Duc. That 'personality' sure comes out!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

I just got these pictures into the computer and thought they were both so cute.

These are Anna's and the male seems to be telling the lady off.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

But look what happens when she gets tired of his yapping!

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

such DRAMA...LOL!!!

Priceless!! I would frame those two photos together.

Eugene, OR

Soap opera in the bird world!! Wonderful!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Duc, I want that camera. I get my government stimulus check next week and I could steal my husbands. Then I would only be $300 short. LOL. Maybe I could rob a bank. Senior citizen robs a bank to purchase a camera to photograph hummingbirds...LOL again. How do you tell the difference from a male and a female? I have 5 hummingbird nests and just about cannot go out in my front landscape. But I love it. Sorry I have been missing but I have been sick. Just about well. Maybe next week....Last years nest in the courtyard. This year I have two very high up in the courtyard and cannot get near for pictures unless i can fly. I do that all the times in my dreams but in real life I try and cannot get off the ground. LOL.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

This Bullock's Oriole looked upset that we were finally getting some rain.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

This male, think it's a Bullock's but not sure, was wet and didn't like me looking at him through the window.

This message was edited May 3, 2009 8:18 AM

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

I thought he might be telling me off here.

This message was edited May 3, 2009 8:18 AM

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

they are so cute!

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

WCGYPSY, Have you checked your pond for fish this week? My cousin thought she had lost all of hers to a heron, drained her small water feature today, thinking this would be a good time to clean it, as the fish were gone. They discovered one goldfish and a bunch of mosquito fish that had been hiding for almost two weeks! The heron was hanging arount today.
Carol

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Lovely Bullocks oriole. They really are charmers. I'm sure she is being a scold.
Nice nest skwinter. I was wondering what happened to you. I'm glad you are starting to feel better. I've had a bug too, but seem better than yesterday.
WIB,
SW

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

One of my Tree Swallows was singing in the rain.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

another one.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

Gene Kelly!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

LOL! You're right!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

oh ducbuc, he's singing his little heart out !

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the welcome back SingingWolf. I am finally on the mend but it has been a long five weeks. If I smoked I would probably be dead. I had, I believe, a hawk in the back landscape this morning. I was out on the patio watching the birds at the KOI pond waterfall and all four feeders. All of a sudden every bird was existing the yard all going in the same direction. They were actually running into each other. Then for about 10 minutes, no birds. Nada. Then a couple would return but did not stick around. After about another 40 minutes, one by one they returned. I was reading the Sunday paper and out of the side of my eye I saw this big swoop and again another exit but this times dove feathers were floating in the air. The doves stay on the ground and eat the seeds that the smaller birds drop. Again all the birds were gone. About 20 minutes later this black, yellow bird about the size of a dove went flying by with tail feathers spread. The tail feathers were black, yellow & red. I have never seen this bird before and spent 45 minutes in my bird book and could not find this bird but some Red Hawks were close. I am not going to fill the feeders tomorrow to make this big whatever go away. Wish my poor little birds luck.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

I hope that bird won't get to your doves SK. For some reason the doves can't take off as fast as the smaller birds.

In my experience, doves aren't the brightest bulbs in the lamp, either.

Nicely put, Ima. :-)

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

This pretty Ash-throated Flycatcher landed near our deck yesterday. I took its photo through the window, but it looked pretty good to me.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

The Bald Eagles are always being chased off by the Crows, but gosh, they're so beautiful.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

This pair of Calif. Quail come up to the second floor deck every morning for some chopped peanuts.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Our bird visitors this a.m. were a peacock and hen.....they used to be so numerous in our area, then we seemed to acquire a large number of houses and new people who don't like them and they've declined in number. Night before last I heard one calling and realized that I hadn't heard one in a very long time. Must have been the same one I heard.....hoping they stay around. We haven't had them on our property for many years now. They were gone before I could get up to the house and grab the camera...same for the huge snake who was out sunning himself a little while ago.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

They usually attack snakes. At least that's what I've heard. I know that my peacock always sounds the alert. I'm trying to find a peahen to keep him company. Feral peacocks are almost impossible to catch. Eventually the coyotes or coydogs get them. Sigh.
Loved seeing all the birds duc. Especially the quail. Always been a favorite of mine.
Don't know what that other bird described was, sk.
Now that you are on the mend, I caught something. Probably at the fancy spa I went to on Earth Day. Sleeping most of the time, which is kind of nice for a change.
Thanks for sharing and letting me live vicariously! LOL!
WIB!
SW

Eugene, OR

Even the rain didn't keep these guys from showing up today. Had to take them through the window. It was standing room only and they spook so easy.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

And our quail were puffed up against the cold.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

This cute little Spotted Towhee showed up too.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

And this is the first Grosbeak I've seen this season.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

This is the first time I've seen this one at my feeder. Wish the picture was better (need to wash my windows. lol) and it didn't stay long. I think it's a female Brown-headed Cowbird. Anyone ????

Get well everyone.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR

I want my quail back! They disappeared the year after we moved in. There's just something about them I love and I miss the little train with mama at the front. :-)

Eugene, OR

We're still waiting for babies, haven't seen any yet. I love watching them too.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Sally, great photos of your birds. My guess would be the Cowbird too, but I've only seen one here so I'm not sure.

My Quail are enjoying the chopped peanuts every morning like clockwork.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

This male Bluebird keeps stopping by.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Our White Pelicans are so pretty.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

Have to share that pelican photo with DH - he loves pelicans!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.