Hummingbird Adventures #7

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

We have been having so much fun we must continue our stories of our hummingbird friends. We've learned a lot, especially on the last thread. Time for a new one!

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/977788/

Love the stories, and the photos. They cheer me up, as I hope they do for you! Hummingbirds are such fascinating creatures. Feel free to jump in at any time and share your stories.
This Black Chinned Hummer was a pleasant surprise for me last week.
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

There were several posts to the last thread and I felt some of the information provided by duc, should be put on this thread too. I hope you have time to go back and review some of the last posts. Great photos, and great information. Knowing how it can sometimes be I felt duc wouldn't mind if I posted a part of what she said on the previous post.

Thank you for finding and sharing this information duc! ^_^

"Ever hear how the hummingbirds survive the cold nights? I just got this from Journey North. They have regular emails to anyone that signs up and it's pretty interesting. When you get to the link, after reading the first page, click on "Next" for the next few pages."

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/humm/Torpor20092.html

I really enjoyed reading the information on the link. Well worth the few minutes it takes to read.
Have some photos to share if I can find them!
WIB!
SW

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Thanks SW! This link has lots of information that's pretty interesting. Check out "News" too.

Cute picture of your Black-chinned!

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Duc, this plant (I'll post the picture again) is commonly called Rat-Tail Cactus, aka Flor de Látigo, Floricuerno, Junco, Junquillo, Nopalillo

Disocactus flagelliformis

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54508/

It blooms off and on starting early spring here - and right now is just full of flowers. I'd never seen orioles go after my flowers before - maybe it's the young ones not knowing what they are doing! LOL

Beautiful plant anyway. The strands get very long and can be propagated by clipping a piece off and planting.

Thumbnail by KaperC
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

KC,
Yes I did get some cuttings from you of the rats tail cactus. It is the only one I like (cacti). Don't have flowers yet, but have some interesting buds forming.
I caught this photo when I first opened the gh doors yesterday. Series of 3, to begin with.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

When I first opened the door, I counted 6 hummers flying around in there. They can go in and out of the louvers that are part of the vent system.
This 2 of three in a series.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

While these guys don't seem to mind sharing, the males sure do.
3 of 3 in series.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

A couple of times yesterday and again today, I've heard one hummer start chasing another then a crack sound. Almost as if they were using their beaks as swords and dueling. Luckily no injuries to mention.
This is one of the Black Chinned hummers.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Same Black Chinned as in previous photo.
I'll have more from today to post later on, but these were the ones I wasn't able to post yesterday.
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

They do fight. We've heard that crack and seen them actually bump into each other. Great pics, SW.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Tried to get out and get some more today. It's so strange the way they act, fascinating to watch. This guy and Zoom have it in for everyone else. This one has distinctive markings.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This photo shows the markings clearer.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

One of the smaller more agile black chinned hummers. I really like this one because it shows color.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

And another of the black chinned.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Excuse Zoom, he was so fast! But this photo shows the back of his head.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

One of Zooms favorite perches. He waits for one of the other guys to fly by and he Zooms out and chases them off. I think that they are working together to lure him away, because I've noticed that the other males take turns at the feeder while Zoom is otherwise occupied. LOL!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Love this photo of the black chinned. Especially his wings!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Another view of the same hummer.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Note the green head on this one.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

There is my Zoomie friend!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Last one for today! Say good night Zoomie!
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Good night Zoomie!

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Good night, Zoomie!

Eugene, OR

Good night, Zoomie!

I'll have to enjoy your lovely pics for a while. My friends have all disappeared. We turned cold again, so maybe they're sleeping somewhere. I read somewhere that they go out to the tip of the branch (twig?) before they go into torpor so that heavier predators can't stand on it. Smart little guys.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

It's May Day already. Boy these days are flying past so quickly!

Yesterday I scared by hubbie to death when I yelled for him to come to the kitchen. I wanted a witness to tell me I was looking at a male Black-chinned hummer. YES, it was!!

I was so excited, I nearly forgot to pick up the camera. The sun was above all these promised rain clouds that haven't given us a drop so it was hard getting the chin color, but these were the best I could find in the 200 photos I've checked so far. I took all of them through the window so they're not the best, but who cares, at least this rare sight is here! Hey SW, maybe I have a relative of your little one!

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

It was wild here, while I was looking at the hummer, the Orioles all decided to come and enjoy a meal at both feeders. I was telling them to go away when we heard this "thunk" on the window in the livingroom. That turned out to be a male Bluebird trying to get through the glass. I think it saw its reflection because it kept coming back. I did get one photo of it on the railing.

Back to my Black-chinned, here's another shot.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

Aren't they happy looking little birds? You'd never know those were taken through a window.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Lovely photos duc! You finally captured one in a photo with the color! I am so happy for you! ^_^
Sally, yours will come back when it warms up again.
duc, were those photos taken through a window?
Just really glad for their companionship. I love the way Zoom announces his presence by the way his wings sound. Or the way Zippy will some times chitter away at me. I've been trying to get some decent photos. It would help to remember to have the camera on set to the proper setting and have it telephotoed before I even go outside. LOL!
Keep up the good work. Once again I'm so happy for you duc!
WIB,
SW

Our old camera had a setting for shooting through windows. Maybe I'll dig it out again, though I really think my problem is the lighting.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Yes, SW, I did take these through the window. I was too afraid they would disappear if I walked out on the deck to get closer. I have a friend in Tucson that told me of all her hummers, the Blk-chinned were the most difficult to photograph because they were too shy.

If I want a good photo that's taken through the window, I usually have to have the sun shinning on the bird's face to get it clearly. A little practice and you'll have it in no time. You'll also learn the time of day which is best for your photos. I'm still learning every day. Also, I've found that the background shouldn't be very bright, as in the sky.

I caught this one yesterday and cropped it to show just the face. My husband makes all our greeting cards using my photos. He prints them out on photo paper, then adds them to nice card paper where he prints an outline around the picture and adds the greetings. It's cheaper than buying a card in the store and our friends love the personal touch.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

And with the photos you take, Duc, I'm not surprised they appreciate them! Lovely hummer face.

Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Eeeek, a baby hummie at my feeder! Yipppeeeee! I'll try to get a photo.

Linda

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Linda, get lots of photos!!!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, Linda, carry camera with you at all times. Get lots of photos! Happy that you got to see the baby hummer!
Like graduation day!
Thanks for all the info duc. Your windows must be a lot cleaner than mine. I just sit outside quietly, and wait for them to show up. Someone always does.
The cropped face is so precious. I can see why people would rather get a personalized card from you! Especially with the quality of the photos.
Keep up the good work.
WIB,
SW
This is an unusual view. Look at that beak!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The hummer with the green head and red face.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Same hummer, different pose.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

One of those shy black chinned hummers.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

There he is again!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Can't tell which one she is. Just happy to see her.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Last one for now, Zoom!
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.